Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24h World Record with an electric production car 1,506 mi including charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the weekend June 18.+19. 2016 (noon to noon) we drove a new world record for electric production cars on German Autobahns. The GPS-Tracker counted up to 1,506 mi (2,424 km). On the screen the Model S P85D showed 1,517 mi (2,442 km).

We started at the newly built Supercharger at Ulm Seligweiler and drove on the new Autobahn 8 in eastern direction. In the beginning with the full charge we drove a long leg just close to Munich. The following legs were shorter and we turned just ahead of Augsburg. We had to recharge 16 times at the Ulm Supercharger with charging times around 15min. With the last leg we returned to the Supercharger with 2 mi (3km) left.

We used 611 kWh in total. The average had been 406 Wh/mi (250Wh/km).

We were two drivers (my son Ben and me) and slept part of the night in the hotel nearby. We drove 90% of the distance with Autopilot. We respected all speed limits and had always a passenger on board during the night. We also had a safty range of 8 mi (12km) always left on the Autobahn (In addition to the 10 mi below zero).

The record was supervised by the Austrian elektro auto mobil magazine.
(The Guinness record team had been awfully expensive with a frontup payment I really paid and was incredibly slow).

Here is the winner photo showing my son and me holding the paper. The press guys with the red shirts and friends from the German Tesla Fahrer und Freunde Forum.
record.jpg

Here you see the readout of the trip meter and the corresponding clock.
dash12.jpg

Thanks for posting in miles. Doing the math that looks like averaging 62.75 mph including charging time.
charging time was 16x15 min =~240 minutes. so 20 hours driving and 4 hours charging. A 1/5 ratio or 20%.
1506 miles / 20 hours driving = 75 mph average driving speed.

@bhzmark
The average driving speed had been higher (80+mph). This is completely legal on German Autobahns. There had been short distances with speed limits at 75mph and 80mph. The Autopilot works up to 93mph. It got better at that speeds after the last update.

Did you do any pre-trip calculations to try to determine the optimal speed/distance? 400+Wh/mi is pretty terrible, but you have to balance the rate of charge vs distance traveled.
Yes, we did it in very detail. There is an optimal speed, an optimal distance and an optimal charge time which all fit to each other. We fitted curves to measured data points for the energy usage and the charge speed. Then we were able to figure out where the optimum was. That depended on the traffic situation (95% optimal fee), the weather and the distance and time you drive off-Autobahn to the charger. We had to drive one leg shorter with a different speed and lower SoC due to a heavy rain at the end of the leg.