TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

-25 celcius has eaten 66% of my range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by vchadha, Feb 13, 2016.

1. vchadha

vchadha Member

Model S 70D

So it is -25 celcius (-35 with wind chill). I started out with a cold battery from my garage with 337km rated range. I drove local and highway during the day and the actual range was only 115km. This equates to a range loss of 66%. Driving style was generally slow acceleration due to snow and slippery conditions. 6fbd231a39de68f5e0dd9631ee3a7530.jpg b345694726c8846500c7f2cee1d5c505.jpg

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Wow. That's cold. Instant booger freeze temperatures there.

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Says 101.8km since last charge???

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

snow on road = major range loss
    Pic shows low tire pressures = range loss

5. vchadha

vchadha Member

101.8km is what i drove. When i arrived to supercharge i had 30km rated range left which equates to about 10km.

6. vchadha

vchadha Member

The tire pressure were only slightly off.

7. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I drove from Quebec City to Montreal Friday morning at 105 km/hr with average conditions of -22C and 8 km/hr headwinds. It took 396 rated km for 260 actual km, so the loss was just a third. The roads were dry, though, and nothing like today's swirling winds. The car was also in a 15C garage where I overinflated the tires to 50 psi.

Sorry about your experience today. We could use more than 1.5 Supercharger sites in Quebec to alleviate range loss due to severe weather. If you have concerns about specific trips, evtripplanner's range estimates are much more accurate the car's navigation system in the Winter.

8. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

This cold weather really cuts into the battery mileage. Here, it was -20 overnight. I still had the regen limiter line after charging the car for 5 hours and then driving for an hour.
    I lost about 50% of my range.

9. vchadha

vchadha Member

Yes, on a long trip with highway driving it makes sense that you experienced a range loss of 35%. Due to stopping and starting i lost 65%.

10. vchadha

vchadha Member

Yes, i think it is important for everyone to know the effect on range with such cold weather to help plan better

11. Miousic

Miousic Member

Futures buyers should be aware of that. Even with a warm car, driving at 100km/h at 0c on the highway, I drove 55km instead of the 100km indicated. This is far from the 12% lost Tesla's salesman told me!

12. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Thanks to regen, stop 'n go doesn't usually eat into EV range as much a highway driving, but I guess your regen was limited due to cold.

13. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Try to finish charging right before you leave as charging warms the battery. Also if you are connected to power, prewarm the interior before you leave also to help reduce consumption on the road.

14. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

That is pretty cold, about -12 F. In the depths of winter we often get -20 to -25 F here. However, I don't believe windchill has any effect on the car, unless it is a headwind you are driving into.

15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Cold weather really is a killer. If you think it's bad in a Tesla, try it in a Leaf. You're lucky to make it out of the driveway (slight exaggeration to make a point).

16. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Wait... you have electricity in Canada?!

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Snow and wind will affect gas mileage also. By the way, a car doesn't feel wind chill.

18. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Yes, igloos have come a long way.

19. vchadha

vchadha Member

Once the battery is warm you lose 35 to 40% range at -25 celcius temperature

20. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

Must be additional factors such as heavy snow, heavy wind or rain for such a bad efficiency to occur. I have driven my P85D just over 300km without issues in those temperatures at over 100kph average speed. Not hypermiling either. Of course using range mode.

I have _never_ seen anywhere close to 50% reduction in range even en -20c temps on the highway. Worst I've had was maybe a 33% reduction in heavy snow, winds and cold temps.

city-driving with stop and go traffic is another story. Easily more than double the energy used per km. But then I rarely do more than 200km of city-driving;)