Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-25 celcius has eaten 66% of my range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the debated range, I think one core point is that Tesla should build more dense supercharger concentrations in places that get very cold, for safety reasons.

I think the core point is Tesla built the superchargers in the perfect spot for a worst case scenario.
Low tire warnings only pop up when the pressure falls more than 5psi below normal, that definitely contributed.
Extreme cold, snow, wind and not preheating the car all will impact range.

Low tire pressure, extreme cold, snow and wind will also affect the range of an ICE vehicle. The 12% the Tesla rep mentioned is the additional loss that the Tesla experiences.

As always, if you are short on range, turn off cabin heat and use seat heaters, slow down, or draft a semi (not too close though).

Yeah, the cold is tough on range. Good supercharger density helps. I drove about 125m yesterday in NY/NJ but with several stops. No charging available at those stops, so the battery was quite cold after each leg. Started with 235m of range and rolled into my garage with 4 rated miles left. Going about 50 miles out of my way to Paramus was an option, but they are having power issues there and Tesla roadside assistance told me I'd only get about 100a there, so i picked up 5 miles at a ford dealer and limped the last 20 miles @35mph without heat.

Anyway, a well placed supercharger or l2s at any of my stops would have mitigated the whole thing. The lack of infrastructure in rural areas is frustrating.

Other options were a chademo charger (out of service since November so i didn't bother), and a chargepoint l2 (out of service for some reason).

Try to finish charging right before you leave as charging warms the battery. Also if you are connected to power, prewarm the interior before you leave also to help reduce consumption on the road.

That's what I normally do, but I was surprised when the car was charging for 4 hours and (after l had to stop the charge before leaving) the limiter was still there. I preheated it with the app also. I think Tesla changed the battery heating since last winter. Maybe through one of the firmware updates during the last year.

I think anyone driving in cold weather should read Doug G's winter driving blog here .

Snow and wind will affect gas mileage also. By the way, a car doesn't feel wind chill.

Actually, it does in a way. The wind chill is a factor as it pulls anything above ambient temperature back to ambient temperature that much faster. Thus, assuming a warm battery has more capacity, the wind will drop/lose that heat faster (plus headwind potential).

Granted, not a huge factor, but it IS something to consider.

That said, the OP also needs to pump up his tires ASAP--that's huge. Try riding a bike with low tire pressure and see the impact . . . .

mibaro2;1370948 I think anyone driving in cold weather should read Doug G's winter driving blog [URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/entry.php/194-Cold-Weather-Driving" said:
here[/URL] .

+1 here. Doug's comments are bang on

Last night, out for a 2 hour dinner, parked on the street (of beautiful downtown Orangeville ON), I returned to a cold soaked car in -24C windy weather. It's about 10KM home, and I averaged 700 w/km. Cold, windy, and hilly - the 3 horsemen of the electric car apocalypse. It was improving as the battery warmed up, but I can see how one can eat up a significant chunk of power prior to settling in at the normal 25-35% losses in winter.

That's what I normally do, but I was surprised when the car was charging for 4 hours and (after l had to stop the charge before leaving) the limiter was still there. I preheated it with the app also. I think Tesla changed the battery heating since last winter. Maybe through one of the firmware updates during the last year.

I agree with the above. This winter with 7.1 I sometimes leave for work with a car that is charging or has just finished, in a heated garage, and still have a regen limiter somewhere between 30-60 kW. Pre-heating the cabin while plugged in does not seem to change anything.

It often stays present during my entire commute.

I did not see this with previous FW (this is my 3rd winter with my P85).

I recommend you change settings from "rated" to "typical". The rated range is so far off you can barely never trust it. Typical range usually equals 200 wh/km, which is not that far off most real-life use, on average. During the past 25.000 km I've driven, my average use is 198 wh/km, as far as I remember. Obviously during winter, it will be off, but during summer, you can sometimes drive further than what "typical" suggests (depending on speed of course).

According to Remote S app, my battery is currently at: 76%
Estimated (by Remote S): 267 km
Typical (Tesla): 285 km
Rated (Tesla): 356 km

If I were to get 356 km out of 76% battery, I'd need to drive around 170 wh/km, very unlikely, especially during winter.

I recommend you change settings from "rated" to "typical". The rated range is so far off you can barely never trust it. Typical range usually equals 200 wh/km, which is not that far off most real-life use, on averag...

In North America the settings are a bit different, perhaps due to lower speed limits. I have a choice between "Ideal" and "Rated." Rated is around 185 Wh/km, whereas Ideal is something unrealistic like 165 Wh/km.

I've seen 35% loss in 20*F temps around the Carolinas and Virginia (mostly interstate at 70-75 mph cruise control; rated miles used / actual miles driven, without preheating). Today we're off on a 120-mile round trip and I've charged to 100% at 239 rated miles and will preheat to 80* for 30 minutes while plugged in to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Regardless of the debated range, I think one core point is that Tesla should build more dense supercharger concentrations in places that get very cold, for safety reasons.
Tesla did do that here in Colorado, although I presume that it was more because of mountains and snow than cold (-25ºC is unusual here in the daytime).

Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs: 145 km (90 miles)
Glenwood Springs [over Vail Pass, 3251m/10,666 feet] to Silverthorne: 151 km (94 miles)
Silverthorne [through the Eisenhower Tunnel, 3401m/11,158 feet] to Denver: 128 km (79 miles)

That last one, through the tunnel, is quite steep on both sides and can be "interesting" in snowy weather and very slow going at skier rush hour (Sunday afternoons eastbound).