Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-25 celcius has eaten 66% of my range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 70D

So it is -25 celcius (-35 with wind chill). I started out with a cold battery from my garage with 337km rated range. I drove local and highway during the day and the actual range was only 115km. This equates to a range loss of 66%. Driving style was generally slow acceleration due to snow and slippery conditions.
6fbd231a39de68f5e0dd9631ee3a7530.jpg
b345694726c8846500c7f2cee1d5c505.jpg

I drove from Quebec City to Montreal Friday morning at 105 km/hr with average conditions of -22C and 8 km/hr headwinds. It took 396 rated km for 260 actual km, so the loss was just a third. The roads were dry, though, and nothing like today's swirling winds. The car was also in a 15C garage where I overinflated the tires to 50 psi.

Sorry about your experience today. We could use more than 1.5 Supercharger sites in Quebec to alleviate range loss due to severe weather. If you have concerns about specific trips, evtripplanner's range estimates are much more accurate the car's navigation system in the Winter.

Futures buyers should be aware of that. Even with a warm car, driving at 100km/h at 0c on the highway, I drove 55km instead of the 100km indicated. This is far from the 12% lost Tesla's salesman told me!
Must be additional factors such as heavy snow, heavy wind or rain for such a bad efficiency to occur. I have driven my P85D just over 300km without issues in those temperatures at over 100kph average speed. Not hypermiling either. Of course using range mode.

I have _never_ seen anywhere close to 50% reduction in range even en -20c temps on the highway. Worst I've had was maybe a 33% reduction in heavy snow, winds and cold temps.

city-driving with stop and go traffic is another story. Easily more than double the energy used per km. But then I rarely do more than 200km of city-driving;)