Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 minute hold for emergency roadside service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have kind of a naive newbie question here, but is it really true that Tesla Model 3 cars do not come with run-flat tires, do not include a spare tire, do not include a tire repair kit, and rely on Tesla roadside assistance in the event of a flat tire? That sounds like a deadly combination, and seems needlessly risky. Has anyone ever installed run-flats on a M3? Also, I keep hearing about this new puncture-proof tire and wheel technology (called "Uptis", and created by Michelin), that employs a hard rubber band layered on a flexible wheel. It does not use or need air. Maybe Tesla should be an innovator here and start offering this as an option.

Michelin Rolls Out an Airless Tire That Will Be "Puncture-Proof"

I called emergency roadside service today Sunday at 9 am PST for a flat tire. I was astounded that the hold time was 25 minutes! Fortunately I was in a safe location, but can you imagine someone on the side of the freeway nervously waiting for 25 minutes for someone to pick up? At the end of the call I quickly mentioned I should let him go take care of the queue, and he said it's really bad on Sundays because people call that number for general support ("how do I....") since that line is not open on Sunday.

When I first got my Tesla a year ago, I called and they picked right up, and I've assumed it would be like that if I ever have an emergency in the future. Today was, at the very least, unsettling.

On a positive note, the music on hold was an excellent mix of 80s music including Madonna's "Into the Groove."
You are very lucky, If you were calling customer service you would still be there.

Bad news...and good news!

Bad news (1): Experienced a blowout near the 126 and the 5. Took Tesla four hours to get a loaner to me 'cause it had to come in from Northridge....and the loaner wheel was on another service truck which was on a service call.

Good news: As a result of that experience, and factoring in that I make long trips, I went online and got a matching wheel from a wrecking yard. Purchased another Michelin and, voila! Spare tire and wheel. This combo now lives in the frunk (don't carry it inside the vehicle because I don't like the odor and off-gassing from the tire). Had another blowout on another wheel...quick change, and I was on my way.

Caveat: My 2013 frunk is large enough to accommodate the full-sized "spare." I
Just FYI, it’s dangerous to place the wheel and tire in the frunk. This information was provided to me by the manufacturer of one of the compact spare kits. I wanted to buy one and put it in the frunk and was recommended against it because it negatively affects the crumple zone characteristics (which the frunk is a part of) of the front of the car in case of an accident.

Being on hold for extended periods for roadside is kinda dumb

1) cell phone signals drop out
2) there may be little battery left in a cellphone for emergency calls
3) if you own a premium car, like a MS or MX, or if you buy a priority roadside package, you should be in an express queue vs in one with the Great Unwashed
4) Roadside assistance requests should be able to be made by text message or Internet page.
5) Lone women are emperiled in a disabled car

Tesla really does need to get their $hit together. They aren't even putting any thought/empathy in, let alone the (wo)manpower.

Being chock full of Autistics and socio/psychopaths is what makes deep tech such a wonderful customer-facing experience.

Just FYI, it’s dangerous to place the wheel and tire in the frunk. This information was provided to me by the manufacturer of one of the compact spare kits. I wanted to buy one and put it in the frunk and was recommended against it because it negatively affects the crumple zone characteristics (which the frunk is a part of) of the front of the car in case of an accident.

From what you're saying, the frunk is completely unusable for any cargo of any kind, other than maybe sandwiches with the crust cut off.

In my book, having something in the frunk is an infinitely better choice than getting it in the back of your head because you put it in the hatch.

I suppose there's a roof racked spare tire, but that would affect rollover safety and reduce range, and towing a spare tire on a trailer would affect the stability safety of the car as well as range.

The only safe solution is to have an F-350 diesel carrying your spares and groceries ahead of you, and setting the autopilot to draft it NASCAR-style to offset the reduced economy of this safe mobility solution.

I was on hold for over 45mins when my Model 3 bricked itself in the middle of downtown DC in rush hour traffic because of a loose VC Front cable. Thankfully numerous other motorists took the time to colorfully inform me that the middle of the street wasn't valid parking .(since I couldn't even engage the hazard lights or open the f/trunk).

Once I connected to Roadside, it took less than 30mins for the flatbed tow truck to arrive. But they were then unable to authorize an Uber voucher to get me home since the cost exceeded their arbitrary limit for such a service. Ultimately had to submit for refund, which they paid 4 weeks later.

I love my Tesla, but ANY time I deal with service (roadside or otherwise) the experience is subpar.

To the OP...you did not buy the Tesla puncture kit and pump? It would fix a flat unless you had a sidewall tear or other major puncture. 90% of the time the kit will fix the problem... You could have been on your way in a few minutes.

Are AAA, All State, Geico, Farmers ready for any tesla roadside assistance? Since the tesla cars require special tool to properly jack the vehicle. (Avoiding the battery puncture)

You guys keep saying "avoiding battery puncture", which is wrong and is a DANGEROUS implication.

The car's jacking point is on the rocker panel structural element, OUTSIDE the battery pack area.

If you put your hockey puck or jack on the battery pack, the weight of the car could crush the cells and you could get yourself a very expensive 4th of July show (if you've ever seen a lithium cell or pack light off, you'll know what I'm talking about).

I just use a floor jack at the jacking point, but having the proper pad with the zit on it would keep the jack from slipping off (hockey pucks are relatively slippery). Need to get a set one of these days.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
For longer trips I carry a spare from company Complete Spare Tire Kits | Tesla, Camaro, Corvette, Dodge and More But of course for general running around its not really ideal/practical to have it in the back. Just wanted to let people know such a thing exists in case they are interested.
Thanks; I just ordered the complete kit. $400, but good insurance, especially on a trip. Even locally, even if I can leave the car somewhere safe and Uber home to get it, I save the potential hassle, and expense, of dealing with the Tesla SC, which I did just last month. Had a flat, but made it home on a Sat. afternoon. Contacted Tesla on line and they called, dispatched a truck and loaner tire/wheel and I was good to go until it got back to the SC on Wed. to swap it out, which took about 30 minutes. Only problem was the bill- $300. I had researched the tire and Discount had it for $128, plus, plus I am sure, but not likely $300, but it was convenient so I can't gripe.

Again, the Tesla tire kit is made for this purpose, will not mess up the tire or TPMS, fits very nicely in the trunk side pocket with Velcro, does not require jacking the car, will work in all cases unless major blowout or sidewall damage, and is only 80 USD at the Tesla store..

Reactions: dhrivnak
To the OP...you did not buy the Tesla puncture kit and pump? It would fix a flat unless you had a sidewall tear or other major puncture. 90% of the time the kit will fix the problem... You could have been on your way in a few minutes.
Good to know; I am looking now at that product on the Tesla site. In the description they warn that it is only a temporary fix, duh, but they also state to REPLACE the tire and TPMS asap. Do you think the sealant ruins the sensor and the tire? Certainly possible since the sealant is no doubt some gooey rubberized gunk that not only takes out the sensor but adheres unevenly to the inner wall of the tire making it impossible to balance. Last month I had a flat and the SC delivered me a loaner wheel/tire assy, but my tire was ruined and I HAD to replace it ($300). I would hate to have to eat that for just a minor puncture that a plug would fix just because I used the puncture kit. What do you think; maybe the $400 spare tire/jack/wrench kit?

Again, the Tesla tire kit is made for this purpose, will not mess up the tire or TPMS, fits very nicely in the trunk side pocket with Velcro, does not require jacking the car, will work in all cases unless major blowout or sidewall damage, and is only 80 USD at the Tesla store..
You beat me to it! I just sent you a verbose replay asking about the effect of the kit on the tire and wheel. The product description says REPLACE both the tire and TPMS asap.

There are some options here.

Use the pump to get you to a tire store to get a minor leak plugged.

Use the pump to get enough air in the tire to plug it yourself with a 2 buck plug kit.

In case none will work, slime it with the kit. In this case the tire might have to be replaced anyway.

In summary, try not to depend on on others if you can.