TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

25 MPH Chirp

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Piney999, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Piney999

Piney999 Member

So I am not even sure if I am in the correct forum, but on my S85, I get an audible chirp through the sound system the first time the car passes 25 mph from a sleep. It is very subtle, but once I noticed it, I can't get it out of my mind now. Anyone else have this, and does anyone have insight as to what this is? If it is common knowledge, I apologize, but I could not find anything with a search. I appreciate your thoughts!

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.24.1

Do you by any chance have it set to emit an audible speed chime when the absolute speed is 25 mph? IMG_20161229_073841.jpg

3. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Thanks for the response, I don't think it is that... The chirp is not notifying me of anything to the best of my knowledge... I wonder if a different system is being disabled at 25, and it is bleed over.

4. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Is it auto-locking the doors? I have that disabled.

5. Piney999

Piney999 Member

The Auto locking doors happens very early, much before 25mph. I like the idea however.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Do you hit 25 MPH within about 20-30 ft from your garage and do you have homelink set up? That could be it. Thought that's a pretty quick getaway!

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Is it a single chirp or a chirp-chirp-chirp? My dash cam sometimes chirps when I'm driving away. The notification of parking mode disabled is sometimes slow, and then its followed by a few chirps. Its not how fast I am driving per se, but how many seconds have passed before she kicks into her speech.......and by then I could be anywhere between 0-60. :)

• Like x 1
  8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

You may be referring to the ABS self test sound.

Completely normal.

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.24.1

This is like blind men describing an elephant. How about uploading a video (with sound)? Then we could probably identify the sound within seconds.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

I hear it also. It's a very short breep at 25 mph. I've heard it in other types of cars also.

I believe it's the anti-lock brake controller doing a self test.

11. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Thank the maker I have someone else who has heard it!! thank you MichaelS, Thank you!!!