Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 years ago today (Sept 24, 1991) Nirvanna's "Nevermind" was released.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Jesus I'm old. Listened to it from start to finish for the first time in a long while and holy hell it brought me back.
Kurt's voice really launched a sea change in music with that album.

/edit Somehow double hit the "N" key in the title. I know it's supposed to be spelled Nirvana with one N. My bad.

Jesus I'm old.
LOL. "Old" age is relative. I have never even listened to that album.

We all have songs and singers that we first heard in our "formative" years, teens and twenties, that made a deep impression on us. I had a recent music flashback while at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco listening to an audio narration that accompanied an exhibit of the work of artist Ed Ruscha. To my surprise I learned that when Ruscha came to California from Oklahoma in 1956 he was accompanied by his childhood friend Mason Williams. One of the first record albums I owned was the 1968 release The Mason Williams Phonograph Record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which contained the much played instrumental "Classical Gas".

So that day while driving home in my Model S I told Slacker to play "Classical Gas" and it came right up. 58 years after first hearing that piece I am driving a pure electric car that can go over 250 miles on a charge and I charge it at home using energy from solar panels on my roof, and the song is playing in my car without me "owning" the "record" because it is being streamed over the Internet to my car stereo.

I was a big reader of science fiction in my youth but I never imagined that in 2016 I would be having such an incredible experience. I turned to my wife while the song was playing to express my amazement and said "So here we are in our electric guitar..." and she burst out laughing because of course I meant to say "electric car" but I was listening to a guitar piece while listening and it came out wrong. ;)

(Note: Yes I know that Williams was playing an acoustic guitar when he recorded the piece)

Every generation had a movement, and most movements had a style of music associated with them. While I can't speak for a specific album that could be declared as the "Album that kicked off the 60's " (or 70's for that matter), I think most will say that the "Nevermind" album brought Seattle Grunge music to the masses. A style of music that would dominate for most of the 90's. I also believe part of the reason the 90's music and fashion never "came back" like the 70's and 80's did for younger generations is that kids just don't get what Grunge was about. 70's classic rock, or disco, or 80's bubblegum pop is much easier to swallow.