Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250 miles on AP 2 initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is always being discussed ad infinitum here, but just thought I'd start a thread detailing my own experiences with the most recent update's AP 2 (2018.34.1 3dd3072) coming from my P90D with AP 1.0.

• It is squirrely af. I don't trust it as much, so far
  • Hews too close to the edge of the lane, and not just in curves, but especially in curves
  • On a long drive on a two-lane one-way highway, the car kept dive-bombing for the left turn when the left lane line would break open. Like early days AP 1, but more terrifying. Did this on the right side exit lane too
  • The car wouldn't recognize lane change capability on that two lane road for the entire 100 mile drive
  • The car takes longer or fails entirely to recognize lane change capability on exit lane markings (the shorter lane marks)
  • The display shows wider lanes better? So, cool?
  • No different images for motorcycle/truck, but I guess that's well known
  • Car keeps spotting super odd parking configurations for auto-park, but /shrug
  • Seems a bit smoother coming to a stop behind travel?
  • The car seems super unreliable with detecting speed limit changes. I was driving on a daylight stretch with 3 40 mph signs in a row over a mile and it had 55 the whole time. Clear visibility, not going too fast, even in the right lane. The old system was amazing at picking those up
Overall disappointed, but I have high hopes for the v9 upgrade.

• The car seems super unreliable with detecting speed limit changes. I was driving on a daylight stretch with 3 40 mph signs in a row over a mile and it had 55 the whole time. Clear visibility, not going too fast, even in the right lane. The old system was amazing at picking those up

AP2 just uses a GPS database for speed limits I believe. It can't read signs like AP1 could. Tesla vs Mobileye.

Really sorry to hear all that. I wonder if maybe you should have the service center check your various cameras and sensors.

I say that because I came for a V1 car to a V2 and have been really impressed with how the V2 car handles autopilot.

Sure, it does have the occasional hiccup and as mentioned above V2 does not read speed limit signs yet like V1 does. But overall it's fine.

Just today I had the car at the local Drive Electric event and one of the highlights for me was giving people rides and hearing them exclaim at how well the car handled stop and go traffic on city street and turns and staying in the lane on the interstate.

So hopefully your situation is because of problems with the sensors because that can be fixed.

Good luck.

Really sorry to hear all that. I wonder if maybe you should have the service center check your various cameras and sensors.

I say that because I came for a V1 car to a V2 and have been really impressed with how the V2 car handles autopilot.

Sure, it does have the occasional hiccup and as mentioned above V2 does not read speed limit signs yet like V1 does. But overall it's fine.

Just today I had the car at the local Drive Electric event and one of the highlights for me was giving people rides and hearing them exclaim at how well the car handled stop and go traffic on city street and turns and staying in the lane on the interstate.

So hopefully your situation is because of problems with the sensors because that can be fixed.

Good luck.

I'm wondering if I'm just hypersensitive to a few of these differences. It doesn't feel like sensor/alignment issues as much as differences in how it manages certain scenarios. I think it's best to withhold judgment until v9 anyway, since that's supposed to be such a big step forward.

So I had that thought, but Waze had the right speed limit. Obviously could be using a different db. Just disappointing to take steps back like that.
Waze is updated by the map editors group which numbers in the hundreds of thousands and they do all that work for free.

This is why google bought them.

Unfortunately the speed limit is not part of the waze API.

I’ve tweeted at Elon to meet with waze on some of these issues. To no avail of course.

-Waze senior beta tester.

I know this is always being discussed ad infinitum here, but just thought I'd start a thread detailing my own experiences with the most recent update's AP 2 (2018.34.1 3dd3072) coming from my P90D with AP 1.0.

• It is squirrely af. I don't trust it as much, so far
  • Hews too close to the edge of the lane, and not just in curves, but especially in curves
  • On a long drive on a two-lane one-way highway, the car kept dive-bombing for the left turn when the left lane line would break open. Like early days AP 1, but more terrifying. Did this on the right side exit lane too
  • The car wouldn't recognize lane change capability on that two lane road for the entire 100 mile drive
  • The car takes longer or fails entirely to recognize lane change capability on exit lane markings (the shorter lane marks)
  • The display shows wider lanes better? So, cool?
  • No different images for motorcycle/truck, but I guess that's well known
  • Car keeps spotting super odd parking configurations for auto-park, but /shrug
  • Seems a bit smoother coming to a stop behind travel?

I just completed a 2000mi plus trip(Cape Cod to Orlando round trip) and though I share your sentiment I wasn't really "disappointed" just looking forward to future updates. I did use it for the entire drive and it still beat the heck out of actually driving that distance but you do need to keep more alert than with AP1 and yeah that diving for the exits is crazy(keep in those middle lanes!) and wasn't loving auto lane change compared to AP1. During my trip I did notice the worst area for phantom braking is on the NJ Turnpike. I think I had about 5ish phantom braking situations during the whole trip and 3 of those were on the NJ turnpike (I think there were overhead structures in those cases). Def hoping v9 fixes some of this stuff.