TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

$2500 AP Option on New Build, Free to Existing Owners?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by theslimshadyist, Jan 9, 2016.

1. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Hey guys,

If you owned a MS prior to Tesla pushing AP to existing owners was it free? When I built my car the other day it's listed as a $2500 option which leads to my question. Is this common for Tesla to push new features/enhancements to existing owners for free and then turn around and charge for these options when ordering a new vehicle?

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I think you are mistaken. Owners with AP paid for the option. Tesla just didn't have the software fully done until recently. That is the update that was pushed

3. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Ah, ok that would make sense.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Not all paid for it. They started charging in early 2015, or possibly late very late '14. I was a lucky SOB in that they introduced AP into the production stream while my car was being built. I literally made it by two days. How lucky! I, and others at that time, got it for free. No charge, no hassle. It simply showed up in the SW updates. Unfortunately, those days are now gone. However, they have completely changed their pricing scheme. So I do not know how that cost, with other option packages, stack up compared to what I paid. You can see my specs below. I paid 121K before 10K in tax incentives.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Back then wasn't AP bundled with the tech package, so technically not free?

6. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Yep. They bumped up the price of the tech package a bit to compensate. As I recall, existing orders with the tech package were given the option to pay the difference to get AP convenience features. It was definitely never free.

7. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

you got it as part of the tech package.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes. It was bundled at some point. But I ordered the pkg without the expectation of AP. I had no idea in June 14, when I ordered, that it even existed. So, for me, it was a total bonus. No additional cost for me.