TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2500 CA Rebate Experience?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ncsmith4, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ncsmith4

ncsmith4 Member

Anyone have experience with the $2500 CA EV rebate? Is it automatic? How long does it take?

2. calvinvle

calvinvle Member

I just got mine approved last week. It takes on average about 33-38 days for them to review & approve after you submit.

3. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I'm still waiting on my license plate. I've heard of people applying before they got their plates but it's dependent on whether they're processed the registration from Tesla or not in time. I'd rather not waste the $25 and just wait.

4. legend502

legend502 Member

BTW it is now true that you can either get the $2500 OR the carpool stick, but not both? Is that correct?

5. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

If you make too much money. That’s correct. $150k single or $300k joint.

6. GabeX

GabeX Member

If you are referring the the CVRP rebate (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) you will need to apply for it online after you receive your registration. There is no fee to apply and will take 35 days for processing (How long will it take to process my application?)

As for the HOV decal (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal), it will cost $22 and you have to mail it in. I waited until I got my registration and plates to come in before submitting my application.

For more rebates, you can visit this page (DriveClean - PEV Resource Center).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  7. legend502

legend502 Member

Thanks; so if you are below you get both? Wonder how they can keep track of that

8. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

That’s correct if you are below you get both.

They have the right to request income requirement. Ie your tax return.

9. Need

Need Active Member

You can apply now, but you will still need to upload your DMV registration to the site, so you may as well wait until you get the plate and registration before applying.

10. Mom of 3

Mom of 3 Member

California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board
    For PIHs and BVs, if your income is above the threshold, you do not get to choose. Rebate is not available. Only the decal is available.
    For all clean air cars, if your income is below the threshold, you can have both rebate and decal.
    For low-income, extra rebate is available.

11. legend502

legend502 Member

O g
    I guess its a matter of timing for some then; arguable if they post dated prior to tax day they could be under the threshold previous year (<300) if above >300 the threshold for this current tax season.

12. lirandy

lirandy Member

No, it's not automatic. You will need to apply the rebate in here: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

It really depends on their funding. Maybe I didn't have much luck, they were out of funding both of the times when I applied. One time I waited for 4 months, and the other time I waited for like 6 months to get my rebate.

13. Mom of 3

Mom of 3 Member

I agree there is some room to game this. Only those who have the ability to defer income can do it and it requires planning.
    Another way to do it is to get married to someone who does not make much, but that probably incurs a greater liability than the rebate you gain...

• Funny x 2
  14. legend502

legend502 Member

LOL! exactly :)

15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

But isn't the CA rebate on a income limit now? I didn't apply when I got my 3....

16. Need

Need Active Member

Yes. Funny thing is that I thought I would not be qualified for the CA rebate when I bought my MX last year, but I didn't know about the 100% depreciation 1st year for business. So for the 2017 tax year return, I am actually qualified for the CA rebate. If I buy another M3 this year, I would also get the $2500 rebate!

• Like x 2
  17. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Great information - Can you offer some suggestion to sono to be a Model 3 owner? Once you take delievery and have the Vin#, you can start to apply? Or do you wait a few weeks? There's also some program from charger station. Not sure how that works.

18. Shygar

Shygar Member

You need to wait for your plates and real registration to come in. The only thing I could apply for when I first got the car was the $500 check from PG&E. That is quite fast actually.

Edit: Sorry I had that backwards, The $2500 rebate I could apply for right away but the PG&E $500 I had to wait until registration and plates came. But the PG&E is very fast once you apply.

19. lirandy

lirandy Member

For CVRP, I haven't taken delivery on the Model 3 yet, but from my exp., you don't need to wait as long as you have your sales contract, VIN#, and temp. DMV registration.

• Like x 1
  20. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I applied for it on 6/12/2018 and I'm still waiting for them to process it.