Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2500 CA Rebate Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with someone at the special processing department asking the status of my sticker and asked about the future of the program. They do not know how it will be implemented yet.

They may continue with the red stickers or they may re vamp the whole system. That’s why currently the red stickers expire the day they expire. I’m guessing if they keep red they will just have to mail everyone new registration certificates.
It's so dumb. Just add an EV plate to the dozen or so special plates available. Everybody will gladly pay the extra money to not have to put stupid stickers on their cars.

Yeah, it was very satisfying to get approved. All the horror stories of buying an expensive new car and California running out of funds to cover your car, urp. Guess it will be even MORE satisfying to get the check some day.

-Randy

Isn't the CVRP only for CA?

Yes, it's just for CA. I was just pointing out that what's left is just 12,400 cars. CA sucks up a LOT of the electric cars sold in this country. Assuming the reports are right and Tesla is up to 6 or 7,000 Model 3s a week now, if even 25% of those are going to CA, the remaining money isn't gonna last long. That's not even counting all the Bolts, Leafs, Prius Primes, etc that are eligible as well. I'm thinking we'll be lucky if funding lasts through August.

Half of those is Increased Rebate Funding. Isn't that only for the people who qualified for the extra $2000 rebate? So for most people it would be the $15.7M left for general funding?

Well, that would just suck. We'd be lucky to have funding through July then.

Well, that would just suck. We'd be lucky to have funding through July then.

I think it would run out in August. On the top of that website it said something about $68M since March 2018 to Current. So that's like $15M a month? BTW, a lot of people were also buying the leftover 2017 Prius Prime a few months ago with their incentive. Those people would be in the process of getting the $1500 rebate. My brother was one of them.

If it runs out say in the next 3 weeks, and you miss it this year, can you claim it next year assuming program funding is renewed?

So for those in California, we might miss out on $2,500 and if we wont get car delivered this year, then on $3,750 assuming early next year? Maybe worth emailing this program asking what happens if car bought this year after funding runs out and if funding will be replenished for next year. Got me thinking if going after AWD which certainly delayed a car was a good idea. As there is a chance no replinish and getting car next year will be $6k more expensive due to losing out on rebate and credit.

California runs out of funding for this program every year and then replenishes. No guarantee that will happen this time but if it does, those that already applied and were approved will be paid first and then new applicants considered.