Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2500 CA Rebate Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My application was rejected due to some hand written changes approximately 89 days after submission (not surprised). I forgot to check the VIN on the paperwork when I signed since they were kinda of pushy on me and had to make post sale corrections but that was resolved. So now I go back on the wait list....

Reactions: Glamisduner
So in CA do you get either the 2500 or the CA carpool sticker ? or am I missing something ?

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

If you purchased your vehicle on or after January 1, 2018, a CAV decal cannot be issued to you if you have received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), unless you meet specified gross annual income requirements. If your gross annual income is above specified thresholds, you may have to choose between a CAV decal and a CVRP rebate. (See Question #6 in the FAQs.)

But then it also states if we are withing the annual income then its okay .. So does that mean if we are within those income we can get both ?

I believe that if you personally earn more than $150000, or household over $300000, then you can't get both. Wish I was in that bracket....

Stated in the reverse, if you personally earn less than $150K, or household $300K, then yes you qualify for both.

Edit: When I mention "household" I really meant "joint income"; yourself and spouse/partner. That's not to be confused with "head of household". Sorry about any confusion....

Last edited:
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I believe that if you personally earn more than $150000, or household over $300000, then you can't get both. Wish I was in that bracket....

Stated in the reverse, if you personally earn less than $150K, or household $300K, then yes you qualify for both.
You can't get both but you also can't get the the $2.5k unless you have a fuel cell vehicle. It's really stupidly worded.
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 5.38.13 PM.png

My application was rejected due to some hand written changes approximately 89 days after submission (not surprised). I forgot to check the VIN on the paperwork when I signed since they were kinda of pushy on me and had to make post sale corrections but that was resolved. So now I go back on the wait list....
I just had the same problem. Tesla changed vins on my registration by just writing in the new one over the old one. CA rejected this and I had to re-submit (about 100 days later) Got approved and will get a check within another 90 days. I might have my federal return before that!

I just had the same problem. Tesla changed vins on my registration by just writing in the new one over the old one. CA rejected this and I had to re-submit (about 100 days later) Got approved and will get a check within another 90 days. I might have my federal return before that!

I responded to the issue the same day (end of day), and got approved the following business day so all good from CVRP side! Now just wait for the check....

Reactions: Glamisduner
I had used adobe acrobat's "e-signature" feature to attach my signature to the form but they do not accept electronic signature or even "scans" of a signature. It states it on the form but I didn't see it/think it mattered. Apparently it does.

I signed on my phone using the draw function and then slapped it on the document. It matches my signature on my DL - granted I did it yesterday so perhaps I still have time to revise but... that's really nitpicky if they do require literal pen on paper.

Edit: so I just went through the website and I do not see any indication that the signature has to be handwritten. Where was this noted?

Also it indicates that if they find an issue with the application, they will provide 10 days to correct it so - even if they complain about it, I should be able to resubmit with a hand-written signature and not lose my spot.

Last edited:
I looked at the form again and you are correct, I don't see a reference to the signature being required to be original; however, I'm attaching a snip from the email I received saying that is the case:

"Signed Application Form:
  • Your rebate application form was not signed or was signed digitally. Please submit a copy signed in your own handwriting so we can proceed with your application."
I was given 14 days to resubmit under the same claim, otherwise I would have to start the process over. I'll admit that the signature I had attached was clearly a scanned copy of a signature and clearly not something 'handwritten'. If I had a better image of my signature, it probably would have gone through. But for those wanting to be safe, I'd suggest signing it the old fashioned way.

I looked at the form again and you are correct, I don't see a reference to the signature being required to be original; however, I'm attaching a snip from the email I received saying that is the case:

"Signed Application Form:
  • Your rebate application form was not signed or was signed digitally. Please submit a copy signed in your own handwriting so we can proceed with your application."
I was given 14 days to resubmit under the same claim, otherwise I would have to start the process over. I'll admit that the signature I had attached was clearly a scanned copy of a signature and clearly not something 'handwritten'. If I had a better image of my signature, it probably would have gone through. But for those wanting to be safe, I'd suggest signing it the old fashioned way.

Bleh... well, lets see what they say. The Adobe signing service makes it look pretty legit - that's how I signed my loan docs!

I got an email saying I need to resubmit as they required a full "7-page Retail Installment Sale Contract" which was not provided by Tesla, I emailed Tesla and resubmit whatever they emailed me (Statement of Fact and Transfer forms), but still got rejected.

Can someone tell me what documents are needed?

Thanks a lot!