Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2500 CA Rebate Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting on my license plate. I've heard of people applying before they got their plates but it's dependent on whether they're processed the registration from Tesla or not in time. I'd rather not waste the $25 and just wait.

Anyone have experience with the $2500 CA EV rebate? Is it automatic? How long does it take?

If you are referring the the CVRP rebate (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) you will need to apply for it online after you receive your registration. There is no fee to apply and will take 35 days for processing (How long will it take to process my application?)

As for the HOV decal (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal), it will cost $22 and you have to mail it in. I waited until I got my registration and plates to come in before submitting my application.

For more rebates, you can visit this page (DriveClean - PEV Resource Center).

O g
California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board
For PIHs and BVs, if your income is above the threshold, you do not get to choose. Rebate is not available. Only the decal is available.
For all clean air cars, if your income is below the threshold, you can have both rebate and decal.
For low-income, extra rebate is available.

I guess its a matter of timing for some then; arguable if they post dated prior to tax day they could be under the threshold previous year (<300) if above >300 the threshold for this current tax season.

Anyone have experience with the $2500 CA EV rebate? Is it automatic? How long does it take?

No, it's not automatic. You will need to apply the rebate in here: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

It really depends on their funding. Maybe I didn't have much luck, they were out of funding both of the times when I applied. One time I waited for 4 months, and the other time I waited for like 6 months to get my rebate.

O g

I guess its a matter of timing for some then; arguable if they post dated prior to tax day they could be under the threshold previous year (<300) if above >300 the threshold for this current tax season.

I agree there is some room to game this. Only those who have the ability to defer income can do it and it requires planning.
Another way to do it is to get married to someone who does not make much, but that probably incurs a greater liability than the rebate you gain...

But isn't the CA rebate on a income limit now? I didn't apply when I got my 3....

Yes. Funny thing is that I thought I would not be qualified for the CA rebate when I bought my MX last year, but I didn't know about the 100% depreciation 1st year for business. So for the 2017 tax year return, I am actually qualified for the CA rebate. If I buy another M3 this year, I would also get the $2500 rebate!

If you are referring the the CVRP rebate (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) you will need to apply for it online after you receive your registration. There is no fee to apply and will take 35 days for processing (How long will it take to process my application?)

As for the HOV decal (Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage), it will cost $22 and you have to mail it in. I waited until I got my registration and plates to come in before submitting my application.

For more rebates, you can visit this page (DriveClean - PEV Resource Center).

Great information - Can you offer some suggestion to sono to be a Model 3 owner? Once you take delievery and have the Vin#, you can start to apply? Or do you wait a few weeks? There's also some program from charger station. Not sure how that works.

Great information - Can you offer some suggestion to sono to be a Model 3 owner? Once you take delievery and have the Vin#, you can start to apply? Or do you wait a few weeks? There's also some program from charger station. Not sure how that works.
You need to wait for your plates and real registration to come in. The only thing I could apply for when I first got the car was the $500 check from PG&E. That is quite fast actually.

Edit: Sorry I had that backwards, The $2500 rebate I could apply for right away but the PG&E $500 I had to wait until registration and plates came. But the PG&E is very fast once you apply.

For CVRP, I haven't taken delivery on the Model 3 yet, but from my exp., you don't need to wait as long as you have your sales contract, VIN#, and temp. DMV registration.

Reactions: Shygar