Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2500 Mile Road Trip Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completed a 2,500 mile road trip from NC to Texas and back in my 2020 Tesla Model S LR last week.

Range on outbound trip was not great. I was struggling to get 180 - 200 miles between supercharger stops as I made my way to Texas.

Range on return trip to NC improved, but was nowhere close to Tesla stated range of 400 miles. I managed a couple of 240 mile sprints in addition to a few 180 mile jaunts returning to North Carolina from Texas.

I attribute my range loss mainly to cooler temperatures. On my return trip, I found that manually operating climate controls instead of relying on the "automatic" climate control improved my range without compromising comfort. In automatic mode, the A/C compressor is always enabled even though the A/C isn't really needed most of the time. Automatic mode also defaults to a much higher fan speed than I believe is really necessary for ride comfort.

Superchargers were always accessible when needed, although I nearly had to wait-in-line during a stop in Madison, GA. Many new 250 KW chargers have been installed over the last year on I-10, where they were sorely needed. On the outbound trip to Texas, I noticed that many of the supercharger locations I visited had 1 - 2 inoperable charging stations. Some supercharger sites in major cities along I-10 remain congested, such as the supercharger location in Baton Rouge, LA.

Another issue I encountered with supercharger stops was restaurant access. Most of the superchargers I visited had no restaurants or only a few restaurants within a reasonable walking distance from the supercharger location. This is a major issue from a travel time point of view. I've found that the fastest way to complete interstate travel in the US with an EV is to combine supercharger stops with major meals. On this trip, I was only able to eat at a restaurant while supercharging at about 25% of the supercharger locations I visited.

During this trip I had my first major issue with the car. The latch that locks down the rear trunk lid froze in the locked position and would not budge, even with the manual release. The manual release literally broke off in my hands as I tugged on the cable to release the lock and gain access to my trunk.

Although the rear trunk could not be opened, the rear hatch would not fully close either. The car sensors detected that the rear trunk was open, generating error messages, triggering an issue with AutoPilot and creating a problem with locking the car for the night.

While I was searching for an ad-hoc solution to the problem with latch for the rear trunk lid, I also managed to lock myself out of my glove box. While I was searching through documents in the glove box, my tire depth gauge managed to lodge itself in the gears that open and close the glove box.

Since access to my trunk is a necessity for travel and water intrusion is a real possibility with a partially closed trunk lid, I contacted Tesla Service in NW Houston to ask for assistance.

Even though I did not have an appointment, Tesla Service worked for several hours on my car to address the rear trunk lid issue and the glove box issue.

The trunk latch problem was addressed, but additional issues were found with the motors that raise and lower the trunk lid. The Tesla Service team was unable to repair the motors that raise and lower the trunk lid in the time remaining before my departure date, so they somehow converted my trunk lid for manual operation to enable me to get home on-time.

I have made several long distance road trips in my Model S. I have often wondered what would happen if I had an issue while traveling in another state. My expectation was that I would have to wait days for Tesla to confirm a service appointment, but what I found out last week is that Tesla will help travelers get back on the road with or without a pre-scheduled appointment.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog thumbnail.

How much battery would you say you were using on average? Like average starting percentage (charging up to) and ending (arriving at charger)? I have a P100D with a degraded range of 278 and may make this trip eventually so genuinely curious.

How much battery would you say you were using on average? Like average starting percentage (charging up to) and ending (arriving at charger)? I have a P100D with a degraded range of 278 and may make this trip eventually so genuinely curious.

Looks like I burned 396 KW on the outbound trip from NC to TX and 368 KW on the return trip to NC. Mileage one-way was about 1,228 miles.

Traveled about 3.1 miles per KW on outbound trip, with very cold temperatures most of the way.
Traveled about 3.3 miles per KW on return trip, with temperatures ranging from high 60s to low 70s.

I had two children in the car, so I was no speed demon on this trip. I had to make a few short sprints into the mid-80s due to traffic conditions, but generally I kept my travel speed between 70 and 80 MPH most of the way.

I tried to stay above 20% reserve at each supercharger stop, although there were two instances where I hit as low as 15% on remaining charge by the time I arrived at the supercharger.

Since I could not combine meals with charging at most supercharger stops, I generally did not charge the car past 80% - 90% at each supercharger visit. Tried to keep supercharger time between 30 and 40 mins when possible since I knew I still needed to grab food after I left the supercharger.

Given the number of KW I used, I should have been able to travel between 1,500 and 1,600 miles on each leg of the trip. Looks I gave up about 23% of theoretical range on outbound trip and 17% of range on return trip.

My understanding is that range loss of up to 30% is possible in winter conditions, so I have no plans to report a range issue to Tesla.

Interesting post. I agree that speed kills range, so I’d like to hear more about that. You are right that in general, SC locations are terrible… we have the same issue here in Australia. Most of the time they are in the middle of nowhere, but it’s the price you pay for reliability and stall availability.

Yes, with the SoC between 20-80%. He specifically mentions losing 23% on the way out, 17% on the way back. That's not bad for winter highway driving.

Also, unless his car is brand new (it's a 2020), it is likely no longer rated for 400 miles. Two years' worth of degradation can easily knock 15-20 miles off.
2020 is old???

Looks like I burned 396 KW on the outbound trip from NC to TX and 368 KW on the return trip to NC. Mileage one-way was about 1,228 miles.

Traveled about 3.1 miles per KW on outbound trip, with very cold temperatures most of the way.
Traveled about 3.3 miles per KW on return trip, with temperatures ranging from high 60s to low 70s.

I had two children in the car, so I was no speed demon on this trip. I had to make a few short sprints into the mid-80s due to traffic conditions, but generally I kept my travel speed between 70 and 80 MPH most of the way.

Given the number of KW I used, I should have been able to travel between 1,500 and 1,600 miles on each leg of the trip. Looks I gave up about 23% of theoretical range on outbound trip and 17% of range on return trip.

My understanding is that range loss of up to 30% is possible in winter conditions, so I have no plans to report a range issue to Tesla.
The correct units here at kWh (a unit of energy), not KW.

You will for sure not come close to EPA range ratings going 70 to 80 mph. 80 mph and likely even 75 would get you tickets on SF Bay Area highways where our speed limits are 65 mph and in some cases less. To me, 80 mph is speed demon territory.

What I point to at Car battery: 340 miles. I drove 280. Came home with 5 miles left? might be insightful. As I mentioned, the highest average speed of ANY EPA test cycle is only 48.4 mph.

EPA range testing is done with climate control off. And I think they never hit 70mph.
Weather makes a big difference.
In my experience, climate control and speed (factors you have control over) have the most impact on energy use.
Wheels/tires and tire pressure can make a noticeable difference too.
See test details tab of Detailed Test Information. In two cycles, they do use climate control. Their high speed cycle has them hitting 80 mph max but the average speed of that cycle is only 48.4 mph, which is also the highest average speed of any of their test cycles.
Range on outbound trip was not great. I was struggling to get 180 - 200 miles between supercharger stops as I made my way to Texas.

Range on return trip to NC improved, but was nowhere close to Tesla stated range of 400 miles. I managed a couple of 240 mile sprints in addition to a few 180 mile jaunts returning to North Carolina from Texas.

I attribute my range loss mainly to cooler temperatures.
If you slowed down, it wouldn't be a struggle. Your speed was a big factor.

Reactions: karlos22
Besides speed (one of the biggest factors here), headwinds vs. tailwinds, I don't know the start and end points of the OP and the paths themselves.

For instance, I quick Google search claims Houston, TX has an elevation of 79 feet while Raleigh, NC is supposedly at 315 feet. It's small but can make a slight difference for each leg of the trip.