Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2500 mile round trip AWD ... findings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW: all winter (eastern Ontario) I drove with HVAC in "manual" mode with ac "off", (forced) fresh air only, airflow to windscreen, floor and mains to the front side windows, fan speed set to "one" and temp (dark/cloudy) 18c or (sunny) 20c.

Never had any issues with fogging or chewing thru excessive amounts of energy (compared to HVAC set to auto).

It would be really nice if the HVAC had a "maximum power savings" toggle or something. It would also be nice to be able to keep it on Auto for fan speed, but be able to turn "heat" and "AC" off independently. Especially in spring/fall when outside air can mostly be used to keep the cabin at a good temperature.

Reactions: navguy12
You know that the car will tell you the pressure in each tire (probably not hyper accurate, but good enough for seeing trends), right? I keep an eye on mine basically all the time.

Edited to add: hope this doesn't sound snippy, I could see how this feature could be missed if you didn't read the manual in detail, it's not like it is an obvious button or anything. I find that it is a useful feature. :cheers:
haha, No worries, I do know it's there but I hardly ever look at it. ;) I will try and keep an eye on it a bit closer now though so that I can identify tends. Has anyone used nitrogen before, I have been considering switching over as it could be beneficial to maintain a consistent PSI.

LOL, wow, thanks, you are right, I do realize that going faster than 55mph will reduce the range over the EPA ratings. I typically go 5-8mph over the speed limit, and on the highway between TH and Indianapolis its posted at 70mph. So I opted on the higher side of 80mph, when I was actually going around 78mph. Now as you noted between TH and Princeton I did say that I was going 65mph. That's because the speed limit varies between 50mph-65mph. Meaning I may have been going up to 70mph, but on that road I aim more towards 68mph. So again averaging, on top of the fact that I did drop my speeds quite a bit as I was watching the % drop off by the minute, I stated 65mph as an average.

The heating system obviously needs some work, thanks for the tips on that. I feel like we could do that better along with the Nav and picking charging points along with the expected range, I mean it has the real time data directly from the car but it doesn't factor any of that in to what it shows us.

FWIW: all winter (eastern Ontario) I drove with HVAC in "manual" mode with ac "off", (forced) fresh air only, airflow to windscreen, floor and mains to the front side windows, fan speed set to "one" and temp (dark/cloudy) 18c or (sunny) 20c.

Never had any issues with fogging or chewing thru excessive amounts of energy (compared to HVAC set to auto).
Thanks for the tip, Ill have to play around with the settings more. I was mostly just using auto or full front defrost.

It would also be nice to be able to keep it on Auto for fan speed, but be able to turn "heat" and "AC" off independently. Especially in spring/fall when outside air can mostly be used to keep the cabin at a good temperature.
You can do exactly that, but it became much more confusing and hard to figure out how to do it with how version 9 dorked up the climate screen. There isn't a way to get auto fan control from the screen. How stupid is that? So yes, you manually turn A/C off, turn recirculate off, and then on your steering wheel, hit the menu button, select to put the fan control on your right wheel, and then click that wheel, and you can set it to auto. What a ridiculous workaround, but it does work.

*edit* Oh, those are S/X instructions. I don't know how you put fan control on your scroll wheel on the Model 3.

Unfortunately the parameters the car uses for that "Beta Trip Planner" function uses the worst possible preferences and gives awful recommendations.
The priority it uses is to take the longest possible charging stops to make the least possible number of stops--including skipping over Supercharger locations and everything else be damned! That is about the worst way to travel in a Tesla, and I try to let new Tesla owners know about this as often as possible so they can not have the Trip Planner screw them over like this. These things of 50 and 55+ minutes waiting to charge, going well into the slow range of charging over 90% and then white knuckling to arrive at 6% or 7% is just a terrible.

Agree. Tesla should add an “Minimize charging time” or similar option. I just finished a 2,500 mile trip broken up into 4 parts, each approximately 625 miles. I was pleasantly surprised at how little extra time that I waited to charge. I generally had 3 stops per day, one for lunch, one for dinner, and one in the morning that did add extra time, but not as much as I thought, 15-25 minutes. I have a mid range and ranged from 220 to 310 watt hours per mile, depending if heat was being ran or it was raining heavily.

Abetterrouteplanner.com was very useful to run in the Tesla browser. Also Tesla Waze in the Tesla browser to see where the cops are.

I like this thread....BTW, I am planning a trip in July from KC to Sacramento. I have the Chargepoint app, Tesla App, EV Go and PlugShare. Does anyone have any more suggestions on apps? I wanted to know if anyone has a checklist for traveling long distances? I plan on getting a tire pluger and air compressor for the trip. This will be our first long trip in any EV. So it's a little different to say the least.

Waze for another option for traffic routing. You’ve got all the basics.

I like this thread....BTW, I am planning a trip in July from KC to Sacramento. I have the Chargepoint app, Tesla App, EV Go and PlugShare. Does anyone have any more suggestions on apps? I wanted to know if anyone has a checklist for traveling long distances? I plan on getting a tire pluger and air compressor for the trip. This will be our first long trip in any EV. So it's a little different to say the least.

An alternative to your tire worries is just a AAA membership, and a model 3 jack pad for a hydraulic lift. ( https://www.amazon.com/AY-Customs-Adapter-Raising-Vehicle/dp/B07JYT9XGC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Model+3+hockey+puck&qid=1555589258&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1 ).

I’m planning a four state trip with: PlugShare, ChargePoint, Abetterrouteplanner, Tesla and ESVE charging cable with EVSE adapters (10-30P for old houses, NEMA 5-15P/5-20P to 14-50R 120V Adapter, Tesla 1772 adapter).
Then at relative’s houses I can charge on new and old electric dryer outlets, RV parks, destination chargers, and all 110 V outlets as a last resort. Overkill, but bases covered I expect.

I think I’ll end up using Tesla waze, teslaweatherradar site and the wind site as well. Lots of new approaches to long distance trips with a Tesla.

Unfortunately the parameters the car uses for that "Beta Trip Planner" function uses the worst possible preferences and gives awful recommendations.
The priority it uses is to take the longest possible charging stops to make the least possible number of stops--including skipping over Supercharger locations and everything else be damned! That is about the worst way to travel in a Tesla, and I try to let new Tesla owners know about this as often as possible so they can not have the Trip Planner screw them over like this. These things of 50 and 55+ minutes waiting to charge, going well into the slow range of charging over 90% and then white knuckling to arrive at 6% or 7% is just a terrible way to travel, but that's the type of plan that the car comes up with.

"Splash and Dash" is generally more comfortable. Take the stops every couple of hours, and if that's running from 20% up to about 60 or 70%, that is going to stay in the very fast charging section of the battery and only take like 20-ish minutes, where you can go grab a coffee and leave, without feeling really bored.

And the corollary on that is to alternate short stop, long stop. If you're doing stops about every 2 hours apart, make every other stop a meal break. That will be about 4 hours apart--sit down, get some food. The car will charge up a bit extra over what you need while you're still eating (so you aren't spending any time waiting for the car). And then on the in between ones, you'll have a bit more leftover charge, so they can be short ones like 10-15 minutes, which are easy to kill a little bit of time.

I totally agree with your recommendations. Did a "short" road trip 3 weeks after getting my Model 3 (Vancouver to Redway, CA) and used that technique: don't wait until you are down to three electrons, charge around 20 up to 70 and go. Am planning two return trips this summer: Vancouver to San Diego, and Vancouver to New York. I love long distance drives, but I have paraplegia so I have to stop every 2 hours for sure just to move around, so stopping often to charge is great.

It’s very good. You can put it on the car browser, make it a favorite. I created a unique ID to store routes, but if you’re brave you could let it access the car and it’s state of charge (SoC). I’m not that trusting..

We did and it was great. Funny that it started off in Europe first time around.

We preplanned it ahead, but still loaded into car's favorites just in case as a backup

Just finished a 4,000 mile trip New England - Miami in X100D. Superbly easy, fun, and comfortable. Did the same trip last year in a Prius - the X is so much nicer.

Used A Better Route Planner onm mobile, as well as in-car planning. I think only once did we have to stop for charging longer than we wanted to. Between bio-breaks for us and the dog, food, and a little walking around/stretching, we usually got back to the car with more charge than ABRP recommended.

TeslaWind was fun when driving through the Smokies. I knew it was blowing, but the app should it was mostly neutral to tailwind, which was a relief. One section had a 25+ mph headwind, so driving at a nominal 75 meant the resistance was like driving at 100. I slowed down for that section.

Other useful apps are Plugshare and Supercharge.info. I just signed up for a free Chargepoint account so I can scavenge off more J plugs, The local state park has a free charger I used today for the first time.

Don't know why the guy up thread didn't like the Savannah SC. Stopped there coming and going. Free parking (the SC is in the airport parking garage which is not free), nice field to let the dog run, and clean bathrooms.

I have a whole bag of charger adapters "just in case". Never used anything but the standard Tesla charge adapters. Mostly SC, one night with an Edison, and scavenging a few times with J-1772. "Scavenging" means finding serendipitious a free charger and just getting some extra electrons not critical to the trip.

Looking forward to a 2,000 mile trip this summer to Canada, and another Miami road trip next spring. I've put on 12,000 miles in less than four months. I love my free Supercharging!

I think there is way too much range anxiety going on. I have driven practically coast to coast a couple of times and going over 6500 mile each time. I also did a couple of trips to California and the most recent was a 36 hour marathon with only cat napping while charging. The Tesla onboard planner works great! PlugShare is a good phone backup. These cars are great long distance vehicles. Initially, I can see where some people might be overly cautious or anxious, but once you do it, hopefully you can shed your fears. Do not overthink or over lament. Please, I get tired of hearing people say that they are too afraid or can't use their Tesla for long road trips. That is the shortcomings or fear of the owner because the Tesla is very outstanding on short or long road trips. Fear can be a crippling thing...

I think there is way too much range anxiety going on....Fear can be a crippling thing...

Yes, fear is mostly unnecessary. However, learning how to drive a Tesla involves a large number of new issues. These are mostly opportunities that are largely beneficial. But they do need “new thinking”. You need to bring a adapter or two. You should consider a Tesla charging cable. You should consider where to recharge and take advantage of destination chargers and opportunistic J1772 charge locations. You can add podcasts selections ahead of trips. You can add favorites to the car browser for weather and traffic. You can add a dashcam USB for accident liability protection, and activate Sentry for security if parked in a place you are unsure of its security, or Dog mode when traveling with pets. Also you can consider how to fix a flat tire, AAA or personally with a Tesla Lift pad.

It’s a new set of issues to learn and chose. And that’s not even discussing Autopilot use and driver awareness.

• Informative
Reactions: Evoforce
Yes, fear is mostly unnecessary. However, learning how to drive a Tesla involves a large number of new issues. These are mostly opportunities that are largely beneficial. But they do need “new thinking”. You need to bring a adapter or two. You should consider a Tesla charging cable. You should consider where to recharge and take advantage of destination chargers and opportunistic J1772 charge locations. You can add podcasts selections ahead of trips. You can add favorites to the car browser for weather and traffic. You can add a dashcam USB for accident liability protection, and activate Sentry for security if parked in a place you are unsure of its security, or Dog mode when traveling with pets. Also you can consider how to fix a flat tire, AAA or personally with a Tesla Lift pad.

It’s a new set of issues to learn and chose. And that’s not even discussing Autopilot use and driver awareness.
Yeah, learning new stuff is fun ! :)

ABRP has me stopping 16 times from Canton, MI to Sacramento, CA. Does that sound correct for M3 LR AWD and 19's? Have not done any long distance driving. But like Evoforce said I do have long distance fear anyway. Have read every post on this thread. So I plugged in my M3 in the settings and got this 16 stop trip. It does not seem to fit some of the other posts I have read for a trip this long, 2,298 mi. It does have me stopping only at Tesla SC's Sound about right? Am I missing something? Thanks!

that's the challenge of ABRP; it doesn't allow to you plan the charge departure automatically. It uses SOC % arrival as the bottom and how to fast charge enough to get to the next station at 10%.

Take the 16 point route you have, then start selecting the chargers where you'd like to have a nice snack or extended meal to charge 20-30min to get to SOC 80%+ this will shave off several charger stops over the course of the drive. IMHO that's the key cause some chargers have nice stops and you want to dwell and have a meal while others are POS stops and best to drive on by.

We have this choice and Charged higher at Gila Bend and ElCentro -- skipping Yuma.

Once you've decided which superchargers, you can add as waypoints and designate BOTH SOC arrive/depart to determine charge times and toggle settings from there. -- it'll shave a few stops off

Thanks very much! I'm sure that after I get underway I'll be able to work it out and have some fun instead of sweating it out which is most undesirable. On the drive out in our ICE we passed a M3 going about 30 mph on the interstate with his E flashers on. I'm sure it was a serious case of range angst. I looked up the next SC and it was about 10 more miles. I hope he made it!!!