Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2500 miles in and now my tire has a puncture. Local Tire shop won’t touch it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Just my luck, but only 2500 miles in and I got a low pressure warning on one tire. 19” continental (stock that my model y from April came with.) Filled it but got the warning again a day later. Looked around the tire and noticed a puncture on the tread. I took it to American Tire Depot (where I’ve had good experiences with my other non tesla vehicles) - they looked at the tire and said they couldn’t plug it because it has foam inside.

I am looking online and apparently a lot of people had a similar experience. Apparently some places do plug/patch but others won’t even touch. I am planning to call a few other places to see if they’ll try to fix it. But do you guys have any other suggestions? Tesla mobile service could come out as soon as Tuesday but I’m wondering if that’s worth it or no. I’m hoping I’m still under some kind of warranty because I only took delivery less than 2 months ago.
Thanks

Tesla will only replace tires. And no, they are not under warranty.

The tire manufacturer does list an allowed procedure to remove the foam, patch, and balance. The important part is that it cannot be near the sidewall that flexes more.

I had a foam lined tire plugged (DIY - on the rim) at around 7500 miles and it lasted the remaining tread life of the tire.

Last edited:
If it is not too close to the sidewall, I would just get a "do it yourself" plug kit and use it in accordance with the instructions. A good plug will last the full tread life of the tire. The problem with the foam is most tire shops use patch/plug kits where you have to dismount the tire and do the job from the inside, including in our case removing the foam.

Keith

...foam inside...
I guess the technician has not read the manufacturer's instructions on how to patch a punctured foam-tire. It's pretty easy but it takes one extra step of cutting the foam off just big enough so they can place the patch on the puncture area.

...plug...
Plugging is easy. Just do the same way as other tires. If you are handy, you can buy an $8.00 plugging kit and do it yourself.

Reactions: Eric9610
Same here, SGV. They wouldn't do it at first without my okay and risk, $20 later he plugged it and I was on my way. They seem afraid to touch the Tesla, but I've worked with them before. He did it right on the car, after he saw it was a drywall screw. I just topped it off and 4000 miles later doesn't leak at all, though I did keep an eye on it with the TPMS monitor for the first week or so.

Now I keep a tire plug kit and a small compressor (gloves and pliers/cutter) just in case in the trunk.

Though I do have a ModernSpare for longer trips.

Industry standard is still to remove the tire from the rim, cut away a square of foam, plug/patch from the inside out (a skinny mushroom shape), reinstall. A shop's reluctance is probably based on sheer laziness. It's not a mystery anymore.

I just don't understand the continued mystic of Tesla scaring off tire shops. My local Firestone will NOT work on my Tesla. Weird. I'll go to Discount Tire when the time comes.

Hi everyone,

Just my luck, but only 2500 miles in and I got a low pressure warning on one tire. 19” continental (stock that my model y from April came with.) Filled it but got the warning again a day later. Looked around the tire and noticed a puncture on the tread. I took it to American Tire Depot (where I’ve had good experiences with my other non tesla vehicles) - they looked at the tire and said they couldn’t plug it because it has foam inside.

I am looking online and apparently a lot of people had a similar experience. Apparently some places do plug/patch but others won’t even touch. I am planning to call a few other places to see if they’ll try to fix it. But do you guys have any other suggestions? Tesla mobile service could come out as soon as Tuesday but I’m wondering if that’s worth it or no. I’m hoping I’m still under some kind of warranty because I only took delivery less than 2 months ago.
Thanks
I had the same issue. Went to Big O tire shop and they told me they could not fix it.. I called the Tesla service center and they said of course it can be fixed. He suggested I take it to discount tires. They said no problem, that they had fixed that brand before, and they did it and did not even charge me. Nice people. Same tires you have.

Update: I ended up just doing the roadside assistance via Tesla's app. I apparently am in a "Tesla Mobile Tire Service" area (Torrance, CA). About an hour after requesting it, a guy in a Tesla van showed up, was able to repair the tire, and filled all the tires with air. Took him about 45 minutes from arrival to leaving. Very nice guy. Ended up being about $82, and would have been ~$350 if they needed to replace.

Obviously not nearly as cheap as plugging it myself, but I am very satisfied with the service they provided and how convenient it was.

It is so easy to plug a tire. I keep a plug kit in both cars for the unlikely probability that we'll get a flat, but be that as it may, both kits came from sitting in the trunk of previous cars. They don't wear out. They're also relatively cheap. I've seen them for under $20, and they last forever.

I'd also recommend people buy an inexpensive air compressor for filling tires. This may be useful if you're out in the wilderness and your tire has slow-leaked too fast.

Basically, though, if I had a tire that was losing pressure slowly, I'd do the following.

1. Find the leak. This part is easier if you bring the tire pressure up to over 50 lbs. Mix a tiny amount of dish soap in a bowl of water and use a rag to wash it over the tire. Look for a little mountain of bubbles.
2. See if there's something in the hole, and if there is, prepare to remove it by having a strong pair of pliers handy
3. Get plug from plug kit and make sure plug is lubricated, ready to push into the hole, threaded into the Plug Insertion Tool (T-handle with large needle eye)
4. Pull out nail or whatever from hole and quickly use plug tool with plug inserted to push plug into hole. If done correctly, you won't lose any more air.
5. Trim excess plug off. The end of the plug inside the tire will fold down over the hole when you drive and help seal it from the inside even more. It won't hurt if a quarter inch of plug or so lays outside the tire after trimming.
6. Aaaand... Bob's your uncle! Or maybe Steve or Mark. I just don't know your family that well. Your tire should remain leak free until the next nail or until it gets replaced at the end of tread life.

I've plugged many, many tires in trucks I used in my business around construction. Lotsa nails! No way should you have to pull the wheel, dismount the tire, or mess with putting a patch on the inside. Totally unnecessary, but useful if you want to date your tire-man's sister.

I agree with others here that this takes some muscle. Some women can plug a tire, most don't want to mess with it. That's why they invented men, so I hear.

Update: I ended up just doing the roadside assistance via Tesla's app. I apparently am in a "Tesla Mobile Tire Service" area (Torrance, CA). About an hour after requesting it, a guy in a Tesla van showed up, was able to repair the tire, and filled all the tires with air. Took him about 45 minutes from arrival to leaving. Very nice guy. Ended up being about $82, and would have been ~$350 if they needed to replace.

Obviously not nearly as cheap as plugging it myself, but I am very satisfied with the service they provided and how convenient it was.
I just saw this, so it's obviously too late for you, but Costco Torrance fixed a leak in my LR Y's front driver side tire for $12.95. I don't know if you are a member, but the difference would almost would pay for a membership.

Reactions: Consult
I got a flat the first week with 400 miles on the clock. Couldn’t find the leak until I removed the tire. Nail was gone but you could still see the impression of the head and the tiny hole. Took it to tire shop and they called and said they patched it but they couldn’t guarantee the repair because the goo holding the foam might not be compatible with the stuff on the patch. They showed me pictures of the repair and didn’t replace the small section of foam. About 2,000 miles later it’s holding fine. Also found a YouTube video by a company that showed proper materials and techniques for patching foam lined tires. In my case I believe a plug would have worked just fine.

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Same..but mind happened the first week on my 20" Eagle F1. NTB said he wasn't fixable (ha!). I went to the local gas station that does lots of tires and he plugged it for free. Worked fine for year then started a slow pressure loss, so I just had it patched inside when I powder coated the rims. I understand it could have been replugged too.

Last weekend, my Daughter had a nail in her tire on her Model Y- Took it to Costco ( on a Sunday ) and of course the nail was too close to the edge of the tire to fix it. Costco doesn't sell Continental so that wasn't an option. So she came back to the house and contacted Tesla roadside- 2 hours later the Tesla Mobile Tire van shows up ( On the hottest day ever in the Seattle area) and examined the tire- said he'd pull the nail and see if it could be fixed - Unfortunately, indeed, too close to the edge of the tread, so he had to replace the tire- which he did using the tire machine in the back of his service van. Cost almost $400 but luckily the tread depth was still good enough that she only had to replace the one tire. Thanks to Tesla service for having the mobile tire van and working on the hottest day ever. The guy that did the work was very efficient and quite busy- he had a jar full of objects removed from tires - So lesson learned, If it's a puncture near the edge, new tire- if it's in the middle, it's possibly repairable depending on the angle it entered - While the cost isn't as low as Discount tire (Free last I knew but not open on Sunday or evenings) or $12.95 at Costco for non-Costco sold tires but open on Sundays and evenings, the roadside mobile tire service is very good-and I'd highly recommend it (BTW- I think she was quoted $82 if they could fix the tire )- I doubt if they work 24/7 but they do work Sundays and amazingly they had the right tire available.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin