Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2500 miles. My thoughts - and issues 😬

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is comparison of how the cold weather affects the mileage. This is from TeslaFi.
On 01/12/2022: Outside temp was 60 F and the efficiency was 81%
On 01/19/2022: Outside temp was 35 F and the efficiency dropped to 58%

01122022.JPG
01192022.JPG

yes, but LR acceleration is not that far fro m3p and more range :/

2020 M3 LR and I use the same rule 1% => 2miles. Expecting anything else just makes me disappointed. Personally, I have tried driving slower, smoother, no heater & with heater but at the end of the day the road elevation, weather and traffic conditions always counteract any improvements I have made.

//edit: I should add, this doesn't really bother me for long trips or for everyday use but when a day trip is say 220miles it is frustrating to have to stop and charge at a supercharger (even with 100% and preheating before leaving) rather than enjoying 5p rates at home!

Last edited:
Reactions: candida
Not really what I wanted to read given I'm considering ordering a M3P and trying to decide buying a new inventory car with 352 miles WLTP or a new order car with 340 miles that'll have a newer processor amongst other things. I guess your car was a 352? Don't think I could live with less than 200 miles real world range though :(
Don't buy an M3P if you cant live with less than 200 unless you're prepared to drive at 55 mph. I've never seen more than 160 miles 90%-10%

Agreed. 200 miles is the marker for my M3P. I can keep it to 70 or lower and maybe push 225-230 but that's about it. Never been an issue though. Plus the insane acceleration is a reasonable compromise :)
Yep. I wouldn’t be moaning about miles per gallon if I was driving a big V8, so don’t mind 200 mile range with such great performance. The bonus that I wake up with a full (cheap) ‘tank’ of fuel each day makes it even better.

Reactions: spon88
With respect to the acceleration/range "compromise", I know that I'm going to want to stop after 2 or 3 hours on the road and that sits within the range of my M3P. So with a bit of planning (easy enough with superchargers) it's no real problem at all. Over the last couple of years of ownership, I've done a number of long distance trips, me in the M3P and other folk travelling in their ICE cars - in all cases I've arrived within 10 - 15 minutes of them; sometimes sooner, sometimes a bit later. So the "real world" impact of the shorter range, at least for me, has been zero. The eye-watering acceleration is the bonus though. YMMV of course.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Don't buy an M3P if you cant live with less than 200 unless you're prepared to drive at 55 mph. I've never seen more than 160 miles 90%-10%
:oops:
Surely you see more than that in summer? Are you talking about motorway miles because I'd like to think on A roads over 200 miles should be easily achievable. Is you car the heat pump model?, because 160 miles is less than half the WLTP range which seems very poor.
I'm not sold on the looks of LR and I won't spend £50k on a car that I don't think is particularly good to look at. I like the stance and look of the M3P so its pretty much that or nothing.

Surely you see more than that in summer? Are you talking about motorway miles because I'd like to think on A roads over 200 miles should be easily achievable. Is you car the heat pump model?, because 160 miles is less than half the WLTP range which seems very poor.
I'm not sold on the looks of LR and I won't spend £50k on a car that I don't think is particularly good to look at. I like the stance and look of the M3P so its pretty much that or nothing.

No, you're right, summer is better, but I have never exceeded that 160 90%-100%. Here are my current figures:

IMG_20220125_160013.jpg

The recent short trips are bound to be high because it's cold and the battery never gets warm, and the lifetime got down to 324 at the end of the summer but has been climbing since. I don't sit at 80, usually at an indicated 77 or 78. At the weekend it took me 50% dead to do 80 motorway miles round trip Cardiff to Bristol including 30 miles on Drakeford's Folly (the 50mph average speed zone around Newport)

160 miles for 90% - 10% (therefore 80% used) is bang on right. 20 miles for each 10% of battery.

Honestly though, that is a few hours driving. You won’t mind a 30 minute stop after that.

Also, unless you are doing that distance every day, I would not base your vehicle purchase on an edge case that only happens a few times a year. I was really nervous before buying and getting used to an EV, but quite quickly it becomes easy to plan journeys and not be anxious.

160 miles for 90% - 10% (therefore 80% used) is bang on right. 20 miles for each 10% of battery.

Honestly though, that is a few hours driving. You won’t mind a 30 minute stop after that.

Also, unless you are doing that distance every day, I would not base your vehicle purchase on an edge case that only happens a few times a year. I was really nervous before buying and getting used to an EV, but quite quickly it becomes easy to plan journeys and not be anxious.
my office (i go there once a week with overnight stay) is 170 miles away with free 7kw charger at destination.. hopefully I will be fine :D

Reactions: Stranger Dings

More irritating is the - say - 100 mile trip for business with an early star, a late finish, and no charger at client's premises (or, as has happened to me before, the one charging the senior partner's Taycan.

At the end of the day and just wanting to be home, half an hour charging is pretty much unbearable (or is for me), and if you're forced (as I have been) out of the Tesla charging network, full of IPaces and i3s connected for an hour, it's hell. I genuinely think that charging woes are going to get into public consciousness quite quickly soon. It's no matter how often the evangelist, the likes of Robert Llewellyn et al claim EVs are as convenient as ICEs, it's only true in a very limited use case. 40 miles a day and charge at home - great. 80 miles a day - fine, as long as you're not called to an emergency 100 miles away that night. 180 miles trip home after a long week away - awful.

Reactions: Mrklaw
More irritating is the - say - 100 mile trip for business with an early star, a late finish, and no charger at client's premises (or, as has happened to me before, the one charging the senior partner's Taycan.

At the end of the day and just wanting to be home, half an hour charging is pretty much unbearable (or is for me), and if you're forced (as I have been) out of the Tesla charging network, full of IPaces and i3s connected for an hour, it's hell. I genuinely think that charging woes are going to get into public consciousness quite quickly soon. It's no matter how often the evangelist, the likes of Robert Llewellyn et al claim EVs are as convenient as ICEs, it's only true in a very limited use case. 40 miles a day and charge at home - great. 80 miles a day - fine, as long as you're not called to an emergency 100 miles away that night. 180 miles trip home after a long week away - awful.
but in this case, 30 minute charge is to charge full battery. won't you charge like 10 - 15 minutes max - to make it enough to reach home and then to charge at home, over night, at much lower rate?!

let's say - 100 mile trip and 100 mile back. with 160 miles and 15% remaining (as per examples above) you just charge like 10 minutes (going for a wee at the same time) and then continue, arrive home with same 15 or so, and the charge at home?

yep this is the tricky one that never seems to get raised or tested.

Short trips - all cars fine.
Long trips (in a tesla wiht supercharger network) - all cars fine as they're spaced out pretty well and you want a break every couple of hours. Even a SR+ is fine here.

Day trip/longish leg of 100 miles - not enough to stop on the way, you want to get there and get the driving finished. No charging at your stop. Now you have a round trip of 200 miles but no charging half way and no need for a bio-break. 100 miles isn't that unusual and thats where you'll be factoring in a splash and dash in a P or an SR+

Reactions: candida
Nav on autopilot. 90% of my 167 mile drive is unlit motorway, duel carriageway and single lane national speed limit roads. Due to the lack of lighting it’s constantly warning about cameras being blocked or blinded and auto lane change not being available. It also randomly indicates and tries to take me off random junctions hundreds of miles from my exit. Is this normal? Is it the lack of any lighting or just the fact it’s a beta version?
A few different things in there. NoA really only brings lane change suggestions and taking exits on motorways or some dual carriageways, on any other road it's just autopilot.
The blocked or blinded will happen if it's sufficiently dark that the car isn't confident to perform a lane change, let's hope that this is something that will be improved otherwise autonomous cars will be limited to the daytime. It would seem that it can't determine between someone sticking duct tape over the cameras and it being night time.
I'm confused by the 'random indicating', that's never been my experience, it will be following the route that's being show on the sat nav, what does it show there? I've seen autopilot very occasionally be confused by road markings on roads other than motorways and drift towards an exit, but it wouldn't indicate as it did.

Day trip/longish leg of 100 miles - not enough to stop on the way, you want to get there and get the driving finished. No charging at your stop. Now you have a round trip of 200 miles but no charging half way and no need for a bio-break. 100 miles isn't that unusual and thats where you'll be factoring in a splash and dash in a P or an SR+
True. I think the best approach (for me anyway) is to give up on trying to squeeze the range. It's always better to have way more than you essentially need. We have a trip to see relations that we can do in one go but it's much better to have a stop and arrive relaxed and with plenty "in the tank". It's better that the stop is already in my mind before I even set off it rather than it being the result of an en-route panic about not having enough battery when we arrive. It helps that the trip in question means that we get a chance to stop at Tebay which has good food and tends to be voted best services in the country! We look forward to the stop rather than see it as a negative.

7 months in. M3 Dual Motor.
In the summer I was getting below 200wh/m, so 5 miles per kw Now, the same trip I'm seeing 375 to 400 wh/m, so 2.5 miles per kw.
The ICE car is just as bad and doesn't warm up in advance.

Did a 100 miles today at 240Wh/m ... which is great for winter time ... about 4-5C dry roads, no wind. (I did warm the car for 15 minutes before leaving). Easy country roads driving and no motorways, so that helps. And we don't have the efficiency advantages of the heat pump! I have the notion that the overall efficiency of the car has improved a bit since we got it.