Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2500 miles. My thoughts - and issues šŸ˜¬

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
So, ive had my car for about 6 weeks. I got it just before Xmas leave and am now back into the normal work routine doing my normal drives and have hit 2500 miles so thought Iā€™d share my thoughts.

Iā€™ve wanted this car for 5 years since having a go in a colleagues model S. I then went in another colleagues model 3 a few years ago and fell in loveā€¦ā€¦It was time to shift the Ā£350 a month in fuel diesel burner. It was an Audi A7 S-Line with every option going and loved it. It was famed both at home and work for being permanently immaculate. (Maybe a bit excessive - but who cares).

Picked the M3P up and as expected loved it. No issues on collection bar the missing charge ports and wireless charging, but again the world wonā€™t end so not going to get excited about it! As with most, watched loads of videos, read everything I could and finally convinced the wife. Over Xmas it was brilliant, lots of short trips, car was always nice and warm when we got in, quick, no stops at fuel stations etc etc and life was good.

Back to work! 167 miles from home and should easily make it with the 310 mile range - but I make it with little to spare. Granted itā€™s cold and Iā€™ve only charged to 90% but Iā€™m nowhere near. Either way, thatā€™s still workable - but if I move further from home in future it could be an issue.

Superchargers. Absolutely fantastic. Iā€™ve signed up to, registered with and downloaded apps for a good 6-8 different charging companies and not yet had a successful charge off any šŸ¤¬ive resigned myself to superchargers for now.

The tech. Donā€™t like it, did like it, hated it and wanted to sell the car, getting used to how it operates and like it again. Sure Iā€™ll love it soon. The ā€œphantom brakingā€ is just psychotic and dangerous but after changing the intervention to late itā€™s much better. Iā€™m also learning where it will excrete itself and where I need to intervene first. Last few drives have been ok - 167 miles each way to work.

Auto wipers. Considering asking for a refund on this feature as they are as much use as indicators in a spaceship. Maybe they are taking our money and actually putting indicators on their spaceX programme as there is no explanation for how bad they are.

Auto high beam. Until this week - see first sentence above. However, tonight they were phenomenal. As good or better than my last car. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had an update (2021.44.30.7) but couldnā€™t fault them on my drive. Lots of my drive is on unlit roads so these are a godsend.

Autopilot - Iā€™m getting used to how it works. Iā€™ve noticed if a truck in an inside lane even remotely gets close to, or touches a white line while Iā€™m passing, it slams on hard. As I say, getting used to it and covering the pedals where needed to avoid issues. Scary and a bit dangerous at times but getting there.

Nav on autopilot. 90% of my 167 mile drive is unlit motorway, duel carriageway and single lane national speed limit roads. Due to the lack of lighting itā€™s constantly warning about cameras being blocked or blinded and auto lane change not being available. It also randomly indicates and tries to take me off random junctions hundreds of miles from my exit. Is this normal? Is it the lack of any lighting or just the fact itā€™s a beta version?

Pre-heat. Is it normal to loose 2% charge while pre-heating and plugged into the tesla 7kw wall charger?

Chat. Iā€™ve never had any car talked about so much - and Iā€™ve build a kit car. Whether that is nearly every single one of my colleagues, mates and subordinates or a lovely little old couple in town - everyone wants to have a look or chat about it. Iā€™ve had so many questions and given so many test drives itā€™s unreal! Definitely a popular car with lots of interest in the general public.

Slight frustrations about having to stop and charge a few times when I could easily do the whole trip without a stop on diesel, but the fuel savings are buying this car so itā€™s just a change of mindset.

If anyone can answer any ā€œissuesā€ or queries above Iā€™d be grateful as this is my car for the next 10 years and need to love it and it needs to work for me.

Last thing is apps. Iā€™ve seen loads of things out there but what Iā€™m reallly after is one that can ā€œaccuratelyā€ predict my range. Is there a decent app that I can put my start and end point in and it will work out how many stops Iā€™ll need based on charge rather than me using Google maps, me seeing I have 289 mile range and it saying I can make it, while I fully know there is no chance?

Thanks in advance

Last thing is apps. Iā€™ve seen loads of things out there but what Iā€™m reallly after is one that can ā€œaccuratelyā€ predict my range. Is there a decent app that I can put my start and end point in and it will work out how many stops Iā€™ll need based on charge rather than me using Google maps, me seeing I have 289 mile range and it saying I can make it, while I fully know there is no chance?
Have you tried A Better RoutePlanner?

Back to work! 167 miles from home and should easily make it with the 310 mile range - but I make it with little to spare. Granted itā€™s cold and Iā€™ve only charged to 90% but Iā€™m nowhere near. Either way, thatā€™s still workable - but if I move further from home in future it could be an issue.

Even in cold weather that shouldn't have been too much of an issue. Were you driving exceptionally hard? Range is reduced most by air resistance, so driving fast or driving into a significant headwind will bring down your range.

Next is cold, but it has to be pretty cold to greatly affect range.

Last is usually weight. Even a very heavy car tends to maintain pretty good range, because you regen more on deceleration with the additional weight.

Iā€™ve been at the speed limit which for most is 60/70mph. Used to go 70/80. For the first few trips I was a big child but after that Iā€™ve been a sensible grown up. Thereā€™s a bit of change but not a lot.

Temp wise Iā€™d say itā€™s been below 5 degrees for every drive. (Always late at night). That said, lights etc are always on too

Autopilot - Iā€™m getting used to how it works. Iā€™ve noticed if a truck in an inside lane even remotely gets close to, or touches a white line while Iā€™m passing, it slams on hard. As I say, getting used to it and covering the pedals where needed to avoid issues. Scary and a bit dangerous at times but getting there.
The trick here is to lightly touch the accelerator when passing an HGV, as this inhibits autopilot-initiated braking - at least usually (maybe not if it *really* thinks you're going to hit something - I dunno). Granted, we shouldn't have to, and hopefully with future updates maybe we won't have to. But until then, it works. Try it for a few motorway drives, and then go and look at the alerts that have been logged, and you'll find multiple alerts saying "breaking inhibited by accelerator use"

Reactions: Cossa
Not really what I wanted to read given I'm considering ordering a M3P and trying to decide buying a new inventory car with 352 miles WLTP or a new order car with 340 miles that'll have a newer processor amongst other things. I guess your car was a 352? Don't think I could live with less than 200 miles real world range though :(

Last edited:
Also to add: I'm a new owner, too (done rather fewer miles than you). Only tried Navigate on Autopilot a couple of times, and didn't find it very useful, and haven't used it since.

However, if you have Navigate on Autopilot I assume that means you payed for (at least) the Enhanced Autopilot option - in which case you also have Auto Lane Change. I do find Auto Lane Change works well though most of the time. When Autosteer is enabled, just put the indicators on (all the way - not just half way to give three flashes) and it will steer into the adjacent lane in the appropriate direction - adjusting speed as necesary - and then cancel the indicators.

As with everything autopilot there is a learning curve. Auto Lane Change will only work if the car is comfortable that there is a big enough gap that it can safely get into. It can be a bit cautious, and might refuse to perform manoeuvres that you could safely make yourself - in which case you will feel a bit silly having indicated and then not moved :) But I guess find myself using it often for "easy" overtakes - rather than cancelling autosteer and having to re-engage it.

What's your car showing as your w/mile over the time you've had it? In my LR, I'm averaging 290Wh/mile, so 241 miles of range when charged to a 100% assuming 70kw usable battery.

I am using an app called Tezlab (not for navigation) but based on your usage and efficiency (consumption) it will give you a real world range based on your current state of charge (see pics 266 miles according to the car vs 172 miles real world range), but +1 for ABRP for navigation and telling you when to charge, and how much charge you'll have left when you arrive at your destination etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-004641_TezLab.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-004641_TezLab.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20220125-004850_TezLab.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-004850_TezLab.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 51
@M1tch

Alerts - can't remember where I saw them - I think under "service"?

Re range. Remember that using the heater affects range (not suggesting you shouldn't heat the cabin - but it's a difference from an ICE). In an ICE, we all know that using the AC impacts fuel efficiency. But cabin heating is essentially free in an ICE - as the engine is so inefficient it is always generating lots of heat, whether you want it directed to the cabin or not. In an EV, the waste heat generated by the drivetrain is minimal, so using cabin heating is consuming power just as much as using the AC is. Just the way it is (some people choose to reduce cabin temperature and rely on the heated seats in order to increase range), and one of the big reasons why EV range is lower in winter.

Also, just like in an ICE, fuel efficiency is *very* much dependent on speed. But in an EV you're more aware of range and notice it more. If you habitually cruise faster than 70mph (even if not by much) try reducing your speed to 70mph and see whether that helps.

Oh, and finally, EV range figures are as much of a lie as ICE m.p.g. figures. Yes, you can theoretically achieve them - maybe - if you drive at a constant 56mph without heat or AC - but the reality is always going to be lower.

Oh, regarding route planning. By all means use ABRP - particularly if you are just sitting in front of your computer looking at routes. It's probably the most accurate route planner out there.

But in the car, the satnav will just automatically route you via a supercharger if you can't make your journey without charging en route. (It is a setting, but I'm pretty sure it's enabled by default.)

EDIT: At least, I think it's enabled by default. Worth checking the settings, anyway.

"Last thing is apps. Iā€™ve seen loads of things out there but what Iā€™m reallly after is one that can ā€œaccuratelyā€ predict my range. Is there a decent app that I can put my start and end point in and it will work out how many stops Iā€™ll need based on charge rather than me using Google maps, me seeing I have 289 mile range and it saying I can make it, while I fully know there is no chance?"

I have never used an App. I always use the in-car navigation. It automatically gives me the range upon arrival & the super chargers that I should goto along the way & how long I should charge to acheive that arrival range. I may not follow everything it says but it is super easy to get a sense of what and where I will need to go. The in-car navigations updates range depending on how you drive, heat, etc. I have gone to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Lake Tahoe, etc.

Thanks in advance
Have you checked out the energy app in the car? Doesn't quite do what you say above, but is far more accurate in terms of range than the basic miles/% display.

Also, as previously mentioned, Tezlab will show you your real world range, but not linked to your journey/navigation.

Try turning your fan speed down to 2 from auto and putting the heated seats on. I find it does not compromise comfort but improves range. Also you can turn down the temp on the passenger side.
May make less difference on a heat pump car than it does on mine but worth a try

youā€™re absolutely right about the general charging network. A pal of mine with an i3 drove from Norfolk to Gatwick.
Because of an accident on the M25 had to re-route anti-clockwise. He was getting short of juice and at several locations couldnā€™t find a single fast charger working including all 12 at South Mimms.
in the end he found a 7KW one working at a Tesco topped up enough to get to Gatwick and missed his flight.
A Tesla is being considered to replace the i3!

That range is pretty standard in an M3P Iā€™m afraid. I plan on 20 miles per 10% of battery.

At the moment, Iā€™m burning 30 KWh (thatā€™s what the app tells me Iā€™ve used in charging overnight) in doing a 62 mile commute (31 miles each way) with 60 of those miles being motorway. The car itself tells me Iā€™m getting around 365 Wh/m.

Just sticking in the slow Lane at 60-70 mph will improve that considerably, but I want to be able to do 80mph on a motorway and unfortunately that just isnā€™t efficient, especially not in the colder months.

Reactions: candida
Not really what I wanted to read given I'm considering ordering a M3P and trying to decide buying a new inventory car with 352 miles WLTP or a new order car with 340 miles that'll have a newer processor amongst other things. I guess your car was a 352? Don't think I could live with less than 200 miles real world range though :(

200 mile range is pretty true for an M3P on a motorway, in my experience.

On the flip side, Iā€™m happy to have a 30 minute break every couple of hundred mile, so for me, this really isnā€™t an issue. If you want performance, buy the performance model. If long range is more important, get the LR (and the performance on that is still fast by most measures!)

Reactions: 73henny
200 mile range is pretty true for an M3P on a motorway, in my experience.

On the flip side, Iā€™m happy to have a 30 minute break every couple of hundred mile, so for me, this really isnā€™t an issue. If you want performance, buy the performance model. If long range is more important, get the LR (and the performance on that is still fast by most measures!)
Agreed. 200 miles is the marker for my M3P. I can keep it to 70 or lower and maybe push 225-230 but that's about it. Never been an issue though. Plus the insane acceleration is a reasonable compromise :)

Reactions: mjmherts