Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

254 is alive... needs firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
I picked up #254 about a year ago as a project car.

History - the car had a disagreement with a tree back in 2009 which took out the headlight and damaged the front-right suspension. Not a scratch on the hood. The car hasn't been touched since. It has done 5800 miles, is still on the factory tires, and crashed before it reached its first yearly service.

I repaired the suspension damage last year - all suspension components have been replaced and I machined an 8" long insert to replace the damaged upper-leading pivot point.

Just finished putting a new (used) ESS in the car and powered the car up today.

The car is complaining about firmware version miss-matches between the car and the ESS.

887: Can't start. Version number miss-match.
1536: VMS: BSM firmware doesn't match car wide release.
1537: VMS: CSB firmware doesn't match car wide release.
1538: VMS: BMB firmware doesn't match car wide release.

The BSM, CSB, and BMB firmware is the latest. Everything else is out of date.

I can swap the BMBs but that won't help the BSM and CSB errors.

The attached pictures show the firmware versions of #254 vs my daily driver.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• roadster_fw_black.jpg
    roadster_fw_black.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 80
  • roadster_fw_orange.jpg
    roadster_fw_orange.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 72
  • Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Dre78 and DrTaras
The BSM, CSB, and BMB firmware is the latest. Everything else is out of date.

I can swap the BMBs but that won't help the BSM and CSB errors.

The BSM and CSB are both on the BSM board on the driver's side of the ESS. If you are having success swapping the BMB boards then you shouldn't have a problem swapping the BSM board too. Make sure when swapping BMB boards that that they go into the same relative position on the other ESS as they are enumerated to the ESS sheet they monitor.

Also, what aging differences exist between the ESS's? Years in service, mileage, total KWh charge/discharge? The BSM/CSB keep a running total of the latter and use those values to accurately predict the health of the ESS.