TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

255/35/21 All Around 75D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by VashX, May 15, 2018.

1. VashX

VashX Member

Hello,

Visited a local tire shop to have a nail patched and the manager came up asking if I would like a set of Michelin PSS in 255/35/21 for $400. He said they had accidentally ordered it and it's the 2nd Tesla they have seen in their store so they want to get rid of them. The tires are $302 regular so it's a hell of a deal. I would like to pick them up to replace my tires that will need replacing in the next 6 months or so.

Does anyone have insight if this would affect anything? I asked the local service center and they advised against it, but it honestly didn't sound like the person really knew. They didn't even know the factory specs of the 21in size.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Leonardojunel

Leonardojunel New Member

Any pics on how the tires look? What is your opinion with then ?

3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Michelin PSS are great tires... but I don't think what look like Tesls Turbine 8.5" wide wheels from your Profile picture are wide enough for 255/35/21 tires. You really need wider 9.0" rims which are only available in "staggered" wheelsets. I think the 255/35/21 tires will rub the inner fender liners in the front when turned and aren't supposed to be installed on a 9.5" rim.

Tesla 8.5" rims spec a 245/35R21 tire and 9.0" rims spec a 265/45/R21 tire. Your tire store's 255/35R21 tires don't match either.

Great price but sorry not recommended IMHO.

• Like x 1
  4. The Duke

The Duke Member

5. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

I too say do it.

What size tires do you have now, 245? The new ones will be ~5mm wider on the inner and outer fender well.

You can ask them to mount 1 tire to check for clearance.

6. jeffdom1978

jeffdom1978 Member

It will work. Buddy of mine works at Tire Rack.. Says, good to go!

7. .jg.

.jg. Member

In addition to the extra 10mm tyre width, the tyre height will be slightly increased (35% of 255, instead of 35% of 245) - which equates to an increase in the overall wheel diameter of 7mm. The tyres will certainly fit the rims - like Russell said, the only question is clearance, which could be checked with one wheel tested on front and back.

8. Pinegreen

Pinegreen Member

I know this is kind of an old thread but just wanted to confirm that the 255/35/21 tires would fit without rubbing in front. I plan on putting them on the front of a set of Arachnids. There hasn't been much of a confirmation when I searched this up in Google....most say stay with stock, one guy did 265s in a square set up that rubbed, and I think Artsci's thread way back when was talking about mostly how wide the rear tires can go. Any input is greatly appreciated.

9. The Duke

The Duke Member

You will find the handling better at the limit. The staggered tires understeer unless you change the rear camber bushings so you can get the camber under control.

10. Pinegreen

Pinegreen Member

Thanks for the info. Do you run 255s in the front? I'm still wondering if 255/35/21 rubs at all.

11. colindo1990

colindo1990 Member

I run 255/30/22 in fronts
    no rubbing at all