Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/35 on Uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I have a 2021 Performance 3 with the stock 20x9 +34 Uberturbines. I am wanting a bit more sidewall and also to swap from summer tires. I would like to purchase the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 but the smallest size available is 255/35/20. Has anyone run this setup with the Uberturbines or an aftermarket setup?

Alternatively I can go with 245/35 which should fit no problem as this is what comes stock on the track pack, but I really would like the PS A/S 4.

Also going with 255 would the range hit be outrageous? I suspect the All Seasons have a bit less rolling resistance than the PS4S or the PZeros that come stock.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey All,

I have a 2021 Performance 3 with the stock 20x9 +34 Uberturbines. I am wanting a bit more sidewall and also to swap from summer tires. I would like to purchase the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 but the smallest size available is 255/35/20. Has anyone run this setup with the Uberturbines or an aftermarket setup?

Alternatively I can go with 245/35 which should fit no problem as this is what comes stock on the track pack, but I really would like the PS A/S 4.

Also going with 255 would the range hit be outrageous? I suspect the All Seasons have a bit less rolling resistance than the PS4S or the PZeros that come stock.

Any help is appreciated!

Fitment won't be an issue, but the overall diameter is consequentially larger which is not ideal.

In my limited testing, the P Zero's actually seemed to be far better (surprisingly so) on efficiency than the PS4S, which I am guessing is why Tesla made the change in the first place. A 255 PS A/S 4 may be better, may be worse, not sure we have enough data yet to conclude.

Ultimately, my personal recommendation would be to sell the Uberturbines and pick up a set of aftermarket 19x8.5" Wheels (T Sportline, Titan-7, etc) and put a 235 PS A/S 4 on those instead. The 20's are very heavy and prone to bending, and I really don't know why they made the move to a 9" wheel. Considering your goal is not performance, but rather efficiency and cold-weather use I think that is the best option.

Thanks for the comments. I actually want to stay with 19 or 20” wheels and will be switching to an aftermarket lighter/stronger wheel in the spring. My main question revolves around if a 255 will clear the knuckle and fenders or will there be any rubbing. Secondly if I would take more than a 10% range hit with the larger contact pattern.

Reactions: phantasms
Hey All,

Any help is appreciated!

I had the as4 in a 235 on the old 20”s and they are worse on efficiency than the ps4s were. I can’t even imagine how bad a set of 255’s would be.

(edit) sorry, they were the as3+ not the as4. Not sure how big of a difference there is between those two, but the as3+ sucked so much I just sold them.

Thanks for the comments. I actually want to stay with 19 or 20” wheels and will be switching to an aftermarket lighter/stronger wheel in the spring. My main question revolves around if a 255 will clear the knuckle and fenders or will there be any rubbing. Secondly if I would take more than a 10% range hit with the larger contact pattern.

Fitment wouldn't be an issue with regards to rubbing/clearing, but again, the tire's overall diameter is noticeably larger which is going to cause its own set of problems. As @Sam1 mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the range hit is 10% or worse.

Fitment wouldn't be an issue with regards to rubbing/clearing, but again, the tire's overall diameter is noticeably larger which is going to cause its own set of problems. As @Sam1 mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the range hit is 10% or worse.

What are these problems that you are referring to? I understand that the speedometer will be 1-2 mph higher than what is actually displayed once you are traveling at 50+ mph. If there won’t be any clearance issues what problems am I missing or overlooking besides the range hit?

What are these problems that you are referring to? I understand that the speedometer will be 1-2 mph higher than what is actually displayed once you are traveling at 50+ mph. If there won’t be any clearance issues what problems am I missing or overlooking besides the range hit?

Some people that have gone with over-sized tires have found the ABS/Stability Control/Regen/etc to fault out and not function at all. Not saying that would for sure happen but it is possible.

Reactions: derichio02
How are you guys clearing the fronts? I have a set of 255/35/20 in the front with Michelen pilot sport and it’s rubbing on the control arm.
@phinguyening From what I've read here, 255/35R20 on M3P PUP brakes + Uberturbines (no spacers) depends on the tire. Many (most?) fit but you're not the first report I've read of rubbing.

I'm not usually fan of wheel spacers (I'd rather use a wheel in my desired offset), but in this case a very thin 3mm "step delete" spacer or a 5mm spacer (including 3mm of step deletion) seems like the easiest and cheapest fix, with no practical downside.

Btw what is your exact tire model? These days "pilot sport" is just branding Michelin uses on a very wide range of performance tires, from allseasons to track/race tires.