Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/40ZR19 on 19x9.5 too stretched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeking feedback from the community. I am currently running PS4S 265/35ZR19 on Forgestar CF10 19x9.5 +35 wheels. My car is lowered to @DrRichieSpec on MPP comforts. I am considering installing Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ 255/40ZR19 this fall. An all-season tire is better suited for my needs and the extra sidewall height is a plus. The tread width of the DWS 06+ is listed as 8.5" and my wheels are 9.5". Would these tires too stretched for my rims?

There's so much anxiety about this issue on the Forum it's really hard to understand because most of it is coming from frank ignorance. Technically tires are not 'stretched' unless the sidewall dimension width is narrower than the rim width. The critical issue is not the tread width but the sidewall width. I suspect that your sidewalls are right around 91/2 in but you could check and if that's true that would mean that the tire is not stretched. It's also not compressed either.

It's worth remembering that all the OEM manufacturers of high-end Exotics, sports cars and top sports sedans typically mount tires where the section width (which is on average an inch or so greater than tread width but that can vary) is roughly equal to the rim width. This optimizes tread stability and means that you're getting the full benefit of those typically very expensive wide ultra low profile tires. On the other hand, compressing the tire (where section width is significantly greater than rim width) deteriorates your contact patch and rolls the tire up and compressing tires this way is particularly undesirable in the ultra low profile ranges. Indeed an old autocross tuning trick was to stretch the tires which would prevent the tire from rolling onto its side walls and could help maximize handling and grip at the limit. This did have the downside particularly if the rim stretched the section significantly of making for an unstable mount particularly on impacts.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgaultiere and Sam1
@dfwatt Thanks for sharing your knowledge about this. The Continental website shows the DWS 06+ 255/40ZR19 section width measures 10.2" on a 9" rim. So according to the info you provided the tires will not be stretched on a 9.5" rim.
In the technically correct sense no that will not be stretched. You of course do not have Rim protection in this scenario even with the rim protection beads on a lot of tires which are kind of a joke frankly

Tesla's stock setup is 235's in 9.0" rims.
A 255 is 20mm wider than stock, yet your rim is 12mm wider. You're less stretched than stock.

Your real problem is that 255/40R19 is a 27" diameter, which is really pushing it as it's larger than any setup Tesla supports, and may cause TC/Stability control errors.

Reactions: tm1v2
I have driven on 255-wide tires on x9.5 wheel. It's not technically a stretch, since the tires are approved for this rim width. However, depending on the wheel design, the edge of the rim could stick out past the sidewall, making it easy to curb the wheel. I would not recommend this fitment.

Tesla's stock setup is 235's in 9.0" rims.
A 255 is 20mm wider than stock, yet your rim is 12mm wider. You're less stretched than stock.

Your real problem is that 255/40R19 is a 27" diameter, which is really pushing it as it's larger than any setup Tesla supports, and may cause TC/Stability control errors.
I have seen many posts about keeping it within 2% of stock overall diameter to avoid problems. 255/35-20 is a popular upsize for the Uberturbines (I'm considering it on my next set). It equates to 27" as well

You shouldn’t have any issues with TC on a 27” tire! Between a group of us on the forum we have tens of thousands of miles on our 255/35R20s with no issues (including two AutoX races for me).

But yes, a 255 is within limits on a 9.5” wheel, especially if you are looking for a firmer steering feel. That said, I think the sidewall being slightly on the stretched end of the spectrum will preclude some of the sidewall advantages (I.e. compliance and rim protection). A 275/35R19 will likely feel better and the bulge will provide both more road compliance and curb protection.

I have not ruled out 265/35R19, but I think it would be nice to have more sidewall height.
I generally agree with that. 255/40R19 should fit just fine on 19.9.5", as long as you don't run into rubbing with the increased diameter. I recall coming across reports of a few specific 27" diameter tire models being wider or taller than typical and rubbing with stock offset wheels, but it seems like most fit just fine.

Will you be swapping between summers and allseasons though? If so I'd get a second set of wheels. Much more convenient that way. Then you can get 19x9" to run 255/40R19 for example. Or 18x8.5" with 245/40R18 if you really want some useful extra sidewall - that's my setup.

(Don't bother with 18x9" wheels for this car though, because 255/45R18 seems to be an unpopular tire size with a very limited selection of tires, compared to any of the other sizes being discussed here. You could run 245/45R18 on 18x9" wheels perfectly fine of course but then you might as well get 18x8.5" wheels.)

Reactions: Lindenwood
Hi All. Thanks for all the great comments.

@tm1v2 I will not be swapping between summers and all-seasons. Since I am just street driving with no autocross or track moving to all-seasons will be the best option for me.

Wondering at this point if it makes sense to sell the 19x9.5 wheels and get a set of 19x9 or if it is worth the hassle. Seems like 19x9 with 255/40R19 would be perfect fitment.

Hi All. Thanks for all the great comments.

@tm1v2 I will not be swapping between summers and all-seasons. Since I am just street driving with no autocross or track moving to all-seasons will be the best option for me.

Wondering at this point if it makes sense to sell the 19x9.5 wheels and get a set of 19x9 or if it is worth the hassle. Seems like 19x9 with 255/40R19 would be perfect fitment.
@NoNoBadDog Probably not worth the hassle, unless you're wanting to change wheels anyways. In your case I'd only bother changing wheels if you want to run 245/40R19 (still a diameter upsize but not as much). Then switching to either 19x8.5 or 19x9" would be my preference.

255 width is 100% fine for 9.5" wide wheels. I think most Model 3 owners who use 9.5" wide wheels go for 265 because they're after max grip, and the overall tire diameter becomes a safer fit with, for example, 265/35R19 than the 255/40R19 you're considering...but enough folks are using 27" diameter tires without issue that it's *unlikely* to be an issue for you either.

(For what it's worth, I'm all for squeezing in a bit of extra tire diameter on the Model 3. Just there isn't room for much more.)

Just thought I'd chime in from experiences I've had from a prior client in regards to this question. I don't have concrete data on the DWS06+ but this is something that people should consider. I have no issues in terms of width for a 255/40 on a 9.5". My concern, Mr. Jerry I presume, is the overall diameter with the all season tire. I had one situation come to my attention where a client moved from a summer 255/40 to an all season 255/40 and due to the taller tread had an issue with his upright. With that said it's best to confirm with another owner if they have successfully run the 255/40/19 DWS06+ on the Model 3. If so then more power to you. Just keep in mind that you will gain some additional cushion but you will sacrifice accuracy in your speedo and, according to physics, lose some efficiency due to the taller tire diameter.

Seeking feedback from the community. I am currently running PS4S 265/35ZR19 on Forgestar CF10 19x9.5 +35 wheels. My car is lowered to @DrRichieSpec on MPP comforts. I am considering installing Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ 255/40ZR19 this fall. An all-season tire is better suited for my needs and the extra sidewall height is a plus. The tread width of the DWS 06+ is listed as 8.5" and my wheels are 9.5". Would these tires too stretched for my rims?

Have you installed new tires yet? 255/40?

275.jpg

here is mine. same width of wheels as yours on a 275/35/19