Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/45R20 Tires on the 20" Inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also took the plunge and replaced my stock Goodyear with the Crossclimate 2 in 255-45-20. The day after I put them on, we had 8 inches of snow and it’s a night and day difference driving in snow compared to the stock Goodyears.
On dry pavements, the ride is softer thanks to the taller sidewalk. The car has noticeably more roll. And they’re just as quiet, or maybe even quieter than the stock tires even at highway speed. It’s been a week and efficiency dropped a bit. I’m averaging 358 wh/mi with the new tires mostly highway driving. These tires do not provide any rim protection though.
Overall I’m satisfied with these tires. They even look kinda cool with the interesting tread pattern and filling up the wheel well nicely. Those traded offs are a small price to pay when it comes to my family’s safety.

Attachments

• 6B7632F7-DD4F-49AE-A345-79A50321E8A4.jpeg
    6B7632F7-DD4F-49AE-A345-79A50321E8A4.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 576
  • 186C1AF2-EC09-44D6-ADF0-8A175E4E6AA4.jpeg
    186C1AF2-EC09-44D6-ADF0-8A175E4E6AA4.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 474
Reactions: MadArc30 and Teslu
I also took the plunge and replaced my stock Goodyear with the Crossclimate 2 in 255-45-20. The day after I put them on, we had 8 inches of snow and it’s a night and day difference driving in snow compared to the stock Goodyears.
On dry pavements, the ride is softer thanks to the taller sidewalk. The car has noticeably more roll. And they’re just as quiet, or maybe even quieter than the stock tires even at highway speed. It’s been a week and efficiency dropped a bit. I’m averaging 358 wh/mi with the new tires mostly highway driving. These tires do not provide any rim protection though.
Overall I’m satisfied with these tires. They even look kinda cool with the interesting tread pattern and filling up the wheel well nicely. Those traded offs are a small price to pay when it comes to my family’s safety.

You might notice some tire hop - I actually have my car in service as we speak today due to a sometimes occurring clunk sound I hear. I was told it's "tire hop" due to the slightly out of spec OEM tire size. Nothing to worry about in terms of causing damage, but you might hear it when you are at very low speeds and turning the wheels at full lock. I have the same crossclimate 2's 255/45R20's installed.

• Helpful
Reactions: eCharcoal
You might notice some tire hop - I actually have my car in service as we speak today due to a sometimes occurring clunk sound I hear. I was told it's "tire hop" due to the slightly out of spec OEM tire size. Nothing to worry about in terms of causing damage, but you might hear it when you are at very low speeds and turning the wheels at full lock. I have the same crossclimate 2's 255/45R20's installed.
What is service going to do address this?

Can you describe the feeling? I’ve had a handful of times where I’ve had a slight shimmy on the tire, I’ve kind of attributed it to roll but it feels more at the tire. Also correct me if I’m wrong you’re on ubertine 20” not induction 20’s? 9 vs 9.5”
Correct, I’m on the m3p 20” ubers.

It sounds like a quick clunk and then I can feel it in the footwell. Without informing the SC when it happens they said it will happen more likely at slow speeds, on pavement, and when it’s cold. That is exactly when it happens more. And turning. It won’t happen when the tires are warmed up, and also correct…. I haven’t had it happen after I’ve been driving for a while.

It sort of sounds like how the battery can sound when it’s flexing at a supercharger. Little lower.

Got the Quatrac Pros (255/45r20) installed today thru Tire Rack mobile installer. Took a quick drive and immediately noticed the extra sidewall has softened up the ride. Tires were installed at 41 psi.

ABRP has my "speed overreporting factor" at 3.0%. Believe they run a gps vs car data for comparison. So assuming the change in speedometer will be negligible.
Did the TireRack mobile installer give you any grief about the install?

I just put a set of Michelin CrossClimate2 255/45/R20s on my Model Y. So far, I LOVE THEM! The ride is noticeably better. Yes, the speedo is off by a little. I would love to get that recalibrated. Has anyone successfully gotten their speedo recalibrated?

Thanks,
~ Mark
This is the setup I’d like to go with. Any luck with getting the speedo recalibrated?

This is the setup I’d like to go with. Any luck with getting the speedo recalibrated?
I’m told by Tesla that they cannot do a speedometer recalibration for non-standard configurations. But it’s only off by 2-3 mph at high speeds, so little that it barely matters (i.e. not wrong enough to get you pulled over unless the cop is a real stickler)

Hi Everyone - I read through this post and want to confirm I have it correctly. I have a 2021 MY LR with the 20" Induction wheels. I need an all season tire that is hopefully less bumpy and offers rim protection.

It sounds like the concensus is to do the Michelin CrossClimate 2, in 265/55/r20? Is this too much? Any feedback before I make the plunge? Thank you!

Hi Everyone - I read through this post and want to confirm I have it correctly. I have a 2021 MY LR with the 20" Induction wheels. I need an all season tire that is hopefully less bumpy and offers rim protection.

It sounds like the concensus is to do the Michelin CrossClimate 2, in 265/55/r20? Is this too much? Any feedback before I make the plunge? Thank you!
Incorrect. 255/45R20 is what you want.

265/55r20 will be way too big and will 100% rub.