Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/45R20 Tires on the 20" Inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a 1" difference in the front height wise. I imagine only going over pretty harsh bumps would cause any rubbing then. Thanks!
MYP owners who have squared up the 275/35R-21 rear wheels and tires have not reported any issue with the front rubbing. That wheel and tire combination has a 28.6" diameter (only 0.4" less than the 255/45R-20 being discussed.)

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Ahh- assumed you wanted to see if there was any offset. Same diameter so no noticeable change. Had to mess with the side shot to get the tires to show with the lighting.

Haven’t experienced any rubbing at full turn/lock.

Consumption comparison between Goodyears and 255/45/20 Vredesteins. City driving with temps 30-60 range.
thanks for the pics. nice, i'm sold on the size.

I have the Vredestein in 255/45/20 coming in for my upcoming Model Y. I was going to go with 275/40/20 - same tire but decided against it given that the 275's are 3lbs heavier each and the 255 offers slightly larger sidewall.

Any further updates from anyone on the ride quality? Has anyone tried lowering the pressures at all?

I have the Vredestein in 255/45/20 coming in for my upcoming Model Y. I was going to go with 275/40/20 - same tire but decided against it given that the 275's are 3lbs heavier each and the 255 offers slightly larger sidewall.

Any further updates from anyone on the ride quality? Has anyone tried lowering the pressures at all?
Had a set of 255/45R20 Vredestein tires. Coming from the old set our ride quality is more comfortable overall and i’m 100% happy with going with a slightly larger sidewall. Before the switch, we could feel every part of the road. These tires are also quieter. Tire pressure is at 42PSI

8C60CBBA-E30C-430A-B950-75D9C04A990F.jpeg
For anyone interested I went with 265/40 R20s for my winter set. I strictly did this as I wanted protection for the 20 inch inductions. The 265s set the rims inside of the tire wall so you won’t curb them. The 266/40r20 is also a little taller so they have helped ride quality. This is the only picture I have from putting the winter set on last weekend. If someone wants more pictures let me know.

View attachment 729678For anyone interested I went with 265/40 R20s for my winter set. I strictly did this as I wanted protection for the 20 inch inductions. The 265s set the rims inside of the tire wall so you won’t curb them. The 266/40r20 is also a little taller so they have helped ride quality. This is the only picture I have from putting the winter set on last weekend. If someone wants more pictures let me know.
what tires did you end up going with? could you also post a photo from the rear.

Thanks !

For anyone interested I went with 265/40 R20s for my winter set. I strictly did this as I wanted protection for the 20 inch inductions. The 265s set the rims inside of the tire wall so you won’t curb them. The 266/40r20 is also a little taller so they have helped ride quality. This is the only picture I have from putting the winter set on last weekend. If someone wants more pictures let me know.

@Schulz1983 Yes to more pictures please! I've got 255/45/20s (Blizzaks) and 265/40/20 (Alpins) in the cart. Gotta figure which to buy! Would love to see the 265s. I will be using the M3P 20" uberturbines though.... so 20x9 vs 20x9.5. And on an MYP - but don't think that matters, other than I don't mind the firmer ride of the OEM 21s anyway (keeping for summer)

@Schulz1983 Yes to more pictures please! I've got 255/45/20s (Blizzaks) and 265/40/20 (Alpins) in the cart. Gotta figure which to buy! Would love to see the 265s. I will be using the M3P 20" uberturbines though.... so 20x9 vs 20x9.5. And on an MYP - but don't think that matters, other than I don't mind the firmer ride of the OEM 21s anyway (keeping for summer)
Photos attached. I went with the Sottozero 2s as they offer great handling. I was more interested in handling with occasional snow use. I can’t speak for snow yet but they perform quite nicely in cold weather. I would venture to say they give my PS4S Michelin’s a run for their money. Not as grippy but I’m impressed.
969D5899-F5A0-4BA3-A321-E4AFC5157B7C.jpeg
505D7ED6-08D1-4173-AFA8-EF20F8C45198.jpeg
088C32C4-ABF8-4684-9871-BD3CE9B4882C.jpeg

thank you for posting those. They look good to me! Think I’ll go with that size.

I’ll look more into that specific tire too… although it’s crazy how many winter tires aren’t available right now. I’ve done quite a bit of research and at some point we start splitting hairs because of all the variables and preferences of reviews.

Thanks again! As far as weight rating of the wheels - they will be fine and my Tesla service center agreed there would be no issues.

thank you for posting those. They look good to me! Think I’ll go with that size.

I’ll look more into that specific tire too… although it’s crazy how many winter tires aren’t available right now. I’ve done quite a bit of research and at some point we start splitting hairs because of all the variables and preferences of reviews.

Thanks again! As far as weight rating of the wheels - they will be fine and my Tesla service center agreed there would be no issues.
If it’s any help I bought mine from a local tire shop. They were cheaper than tire rack/discount tire and offer free rotations. At the end of winter/summer they swap sets and store the set I’m not currently using.

Reactions: WG21

Definitely go for the crossclimate 2’s in 255/45r20. They are generally in stock and are really good. If you order at onlinetires.com they don’t charge shipping or tax and you can use LOYAL6 for an additional 6% off.

The only downside to the crossclimate 2s is they are considered more of a grand touring tire. From what I have read anyway. What is your thoughts on them? I looked at them but I have 2 sets of wheels so I wasn’t looking for an all season. I was looking for high performance for winter and summer. I tend to drive country roads ambitiously and want the handling. Curious what you think of the Michelin’s. I have the PS4S for summer and absolutely love the handling and traction.

The only downside to the crossclimate 2s is they are considered more of a grand touring tire. From what I have read anyway. What is your thoughts on them? I looked at them but I have 2 sets of wheels so I wasn’t looking for an all season. I was looking for high performance for winter and summer. I tend to drive country roads ambitiously and want the handling. Curious what you think of the Michelin’s. I have the PS4S for summer and absolutely love the handling and traction.
CC2 have been excellent so far. Very impressed actually.

How do you mean the ride is better?

And so you have them inflated to the same psi?
I have 245/45/20 all season Uberturbine on my YLR. Ride comfort is great. Downside is a bit more bouncy than 35 profile but it’s give and take. You want exact road feel with 35 profile then you’ll also get more rough feedback.

I’ve tried every combination 255/40/20 and 245/45/20 and 255/35/21. I think 21s need air suspension and don’t belong on Y. 245/45/20 or 255/40/20 feel right with summer tread. Going to try 255/45/20 later this week.

A5C4BBF1-3093-4BE3-A662-09D80FDE06A9.jpeg

255/45/20 Vredestein Wintrac Pro just installed today on my inductions. I’ve only put 30 miles on them but up to 65 mph I don’t notice a ton of road noise, ride seems slightly softer, tires certainly feel softer but it was about 50* today so a little warm for a winter compound. No rubbing, speedometer seems to be off by less than 2mph if it says I’m doing 65 I’m doing closer to 63 according to Waze gps I’ll break out my Garmin this weekend to verify. Too early for a review but initially I’m happy