Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/45R20 Tires on the 20" Inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so read through last 99 posts, looks like no reported problems with the 255/45 20's? Have my finger on the trigger for 255/40's am nervous about rub.

no one ever confirmed rub with the 255/45's when vehicle is weighted down?
Unless you have it completely full with people and tons of cargo it won’t rub. Also it’s more likely to rub in the performance model due to it being lowered vs LR

Unless you have it completely full with people and tons of cargo it won’t rub. Also it’s more likely to rub in the performance model due to it being lowered vs LR
Sorry last question. Has anyone seen bms up their milage rating after going down from 21s to (lighter/smaller) 20s... I'm looking to buy 23lb each wheels which could be 15+ lb saving per wheel in hopes of getting my MYP range more above 300

so read through last 99 posts, looks like no reported problems with the 255/45 20's? Have my finger on the trigger for 255/40's am nervous about rub.

no one ever confirmed rub with the 255/45's when vehicle is weighted down?

dont worry you aint gonna rub

im currently running 275 45 20 conti dws 06 plus square set up, been driving for over a month, zero issues on 2022 MYLR

dont worry you aint gonna rub

im currently running 275 45 20 conti dws 06 plus square set up, been driving for over a month, zero issues on 2022 MYLR

Shoot I feel like I may have gotten the wrong tires. I have Vredestein Quatrac Pros in 255/45/20 for my MYLR due to the sidewalk. I picked these over 275/40/20 due to the slightly higher sidewall but I would have gone with 275/45/20 had I known. Any idea how much room (or little) you actually have?

For the Michelin CrossClimate 2, wouldn't the 245/45R20 have a closer sidewall height to the stock tires that go on the induction wheels (255/40R20)? But I see everyone online keeps installing the higher 255/45R20 which Costco won't install because it is 3% higher and may throw off the speedometer.

For the Michelin CrossClimate 2, wouldn't the 245/45R20 have a closer sidewall height to the stock tires that go on the induction wheels (255/40R20)? But I see everyone online keeps installing the higher 255/45R20 which Costco won't install because it is 3% higher and may throw off the speedometer.
Max rim width on the 245/45/20’s is 9” and the inductions are 9.5”. I think they‘d fit on the tsportline version, or maybe the model 3 20’s, can’t remember their size.

edit: belle tire had no trouble installing 255/45’s on mine. Just said it would be a couple off.

Max rim width on the 245/45/20’s is 9” and the inductions are 9.5”. I think they‘d fit on the tsportline version, or maybe the model 3 20’s, can’t remember their size.

edit: belle tire had no trouble installing 255/45’s on mine. Just said it would be a couple off.

Ah got it. Good point.

And the consensus overall is that the speedometer is not off by much for the 255/45R20?

Ah got it. Good point.

And the consensus overall is that the speedometer is not off by much for the 255/45R20?
As @MatildaModelY said it doesn’t matter, you’ll never notice it. Just realize you’re going +2mph above 60.

If you’re looking at these for year round though, I don’t think I can recommend them. They worked great for me as a winter tire when I couldn’t get any. But they can shimmy a bit at higher speeds and it feels a little sketchy. Maybe it’s just me, but once in awhile in high speed turns/lane changes you can feel the tire kind of bending a bit. I dunno like i said, maybe just me, but you don’t feel as planted as you did on the lower profiles. I’m going to continue to use them for the winter, but I’m getting different summer tires.

5401BD36-35A3-4736-AF3B-891A79F988FA.jpeg

As @MatildaModelY said it doesn’t matter, you’ll never notice it. Just realize you’re going +2mph above 60.

If you’re looking at these for year round though, I don’t think I can recommend them. They worked great for me as a winter tire when I couldn’t get any. But they can shimmy a bit at higher speeds and it feels a little sketchy. Maybe it’s just me, but once in awhile in high speed turns/lane changes you can feel the tire kind of bending a bit. I dunno like i said, maybe just me, but you don’t feel as planted as you did on the lower profiles. I’m going to continue to use them for the winter, but I’m getting different summer tires.

View attachment 785668
I totally get what you said because I felt the same. I got them in February. Initial impression was excellent. They did very well in colder weather and on snow. Now the weather is getting warmer and the tires are starting to feel weird. Maybe “gummy”? I get it they’re more of a grand touring tires and I totally expect some compromise in handling and I’ve read about it in the reviews but it almost felt wobbly at higher speed maneuvers. Like changing lanes at 80mph.
I’ll still run them year round but when it comes to time to replace them, I’d probably get something else.

View attachment 785668
But I have these on my Model 3 already and I've never noticed them shimmy. Would it be because your alignment is off? Or is it because this is not the stock size for this wheel? This tire has been utterly amazing year round for me and that's why I insisted on getting them for my Y.

Problem is that there are very few tire options that can be used year round for the 20" inductions. I don't want to swap out every season.

View attachment 785668
Do you think its the tire itself or the actual size? Was thinking of getting pilot as or continental dws in 255 45 20 this week, but if this is a real problem i might avoid

Reactions: kysingh88
You need to consider the speed rating of the tire. Tires with a higher speed rating such as W (168 MPH) or Y (186) have a stiffer sidewall for better handling than tires with a lower speed rating such as H (130) or V (149). That is one reason why it is a good idea to stick with the manufacturer's OE tire speed rating or selecting a tire with just one rating lower, i.e. going down to W from Y.

Even if you never plan to drive faster than the tire speed rating the tire retailer does not want the liability of someone else later driving the vehicle at speeds beyond the speed rating for the tires. There is less of an issue with winter tires which generally carry a lower speed rating such as T (118) as it would be hard to exceed 100 MPH on an ice or snow covered race track.

• Informative
Reactions: dogmodes and JonB65
Do you think its the tire itself or the actual size? Was thinking of getting pilot as or continental dws in 255 45 20 this week, but if this is a real problem i might avoid
It sounds like a tire or pressure issue to me. I got 255/45R20 Sumitomos and it's a whole new world versus the OEM Uberturbine/All Seasons. I find the new tires to be much more complacent in normal driving and less twitchy at highway speeds. With 21s my Y would track all over the place on grooved pavement, it was awful.

Oh, I looked at the 245/45/R20, as well. they will fit, but the load index rating is insufficient for a Model Y. The 255/45/R20 is safer.
Load Index of 245/45r20 is actually higher than 255/40r20 for Michelin Pilot All Season 4. That’s is actually the best option if you have 8.5” wheels (such as Martian Wheels), and that’s exactly what I plan to get for my MYP

After reading all 6 pages - even more confused. For mostly SoCal weather (3-4 trips in snow at max) what tires are most recommended and what size? I am planning on getting Michelin Pilot sport All season 4 in 255-40R20 instead of OE Goodyears. Should I safely go for 255-45R20 for more rim protection (without hurting range and handling)?

After reading all 6 pages - even more confused. For mostly SoCal weather (3-4 trips in snow at max) what tires are most recommended and what size? I am planning on getting Michelin Pilot sport All season 4 in 255-40R20 instead of OE Goodyears. Should I safely go for 255-45R20 for more rim protection (without hurting range and handling)?
You’re not going to get any more rim protection as the tire is the same width and even with a slightly higher sidewall the tire won’t bulge out enough. What you will likely get though is slightly more comfort. I went with 255/45/20 for the additional sidewall and lowered the pressure to 37psi. I’m sure it’s taken a bit of a hit on range and the speedo is out ever so slightly but I only need to charge every few days based on my driving and have 24A charging at home so all good there.

I also went with a 255/45/20 tire. We are MUCH happier with ride comfort vs OEM tires. There's some rim protection just because of the higher sidewall but like the previous poster said, the tire is not any wider so you can still scratch them. I'm sure there was a little bit of a range hit with the taller sidewall but daily driving is so much more comfortable we dont care.

• Informative
Reactions: kysingh88 and mdsco