Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
Very early review (10 miles), I'll post more later. I replaced my OEM tires at 22k miles. The rears had 4/32 (9/32 new) and the fronts had 4.5/32. I wanted a better tire for the snow.
1. The taller tire seems to fit. Any larger or a more square shoulder, and it'd hit the control arm (see pics).
2. The steering response is notably slower. May be the touring tire, thicker tread, taller sidewall, or more likely, a combination of all three.
3. It is notably quieter, a lot quieter. I'll test on more road surfaces soon.
4. It is much more compliant over the bumps. Much less harsh, and they aren't even broken in yet.
5. Less important, but they look great on the car to me.
6. I'll enjoy the extra 1/2" ground clearance with speed bumps.
7. Per GPS, my old setup had the speedometer read 2 MPH high at 70 MPH. It's accurate now.
8. Clearly, the Wh/mi will go up. 3.5% for the larger tire, more for the extra tread of a new tire, more for the higher rolling resistance design.
9. I'm sure the snow performance (3 snow flake design) is way better. Will report back when I test this.

20211230_213825.jpg

Above: 3/4" clearance with worn OEM Conti 255/45r19. The tape measure was at a bit of an angle, so it may have been 11/16".

20220103_144225.jpg

5/16" clearance on brand new 255/50r19 quatrac pros.
20220103_144254.jpg
20220103_144317.jpg
20220103_144303.jpg

Great post and I'm looking forward to your future review of the tire as well. I tried to buy a set of these tires, in the OEM Gemini size around Thanksgiving, but nobody has stock. I will definitely be getting a set in the spring, once I remove my X-Ice 3 winter tires, because of all the positive reviews! I would very much like the quieter and smoother ride, that these seem to provide.

Thanks again for the quick initial review!

Quick update. I've got a couple of hundred miles on the tires, so they aren't fully broken in yet.
1. Snow performance: Way better than the Conti tires. Way, way better. This isn't just because they are new. They are way better than my OEM tires were last year too.
2. Noise: Dramatically reduced. Low frequency, overall rumble... much quieter.
3. Comfort: Much improved. Bumps are softer and quieter. Very noticeable. This is likely a combination of the taller tire and the design.
4. Steering response: not quite as good as the worn Continental tires. Clearly a touring tire, not a track tire.
5. Efficiency: Worse, at least while breaking in. The first few dozen miles were jaw droppingly bad. My winter average is around 260 Wh/mi. For the trip home and my first drive, I was hitting over 400. The good news is that this is rapidly improving. My round trip commute average this week was:
Tue: 305
Wed: 288
Thurs: 267
6. Fit: no interference issues at all, and they look great.

With the tire being 3.5% bigger around and having a deep (3 snowflake) tread, I expect a hit in efficiency. We'll see how this plays out as the tire ages.

As requested, here is what they look like with the whole (salt covered) car:
20220107_161922.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is the exact setup that I plan to go with as Plan B. Quatrac Pros in 255/45/19 are out for few months at least. I called Vredestein and they confirmed that that size won't be available till March/April. How aggressive is your driving? I am concerned with reduced steering response but will be happy with softer ride and better traction for snow/rain. By the way, I evenly wore out my stock Contis at 16K miles, they are at 4/32 all around. Daily acceleration boost use doesn't help.

I don't drive aggressively at all, except for WOT acceleration now and then. Safety and comfort were my priorities. The MY has a sporty suspension and low CoG already, so I don't need top performing dry cornering tires.

Reactions: Stach
And yet they fit?? Did tesla install or did you take elsewhere? If u go over a large bump will it rub with only 5/16 clearance?
I used one of the tire shops that tirerack recommended (Mr tire).

Good question about the clearance. The 5/16" clearance is between the tire and the spindle knuckle. That part moves with the tire, so the distance doesn't change when you go over bumps.

Reactions: e645824 and Noflash
Having put falken Wildpeaks and averaging 320Wh/m imma have to put these on the next list. They look good. How do they handle snow?
Don't have my MYLR yet, but I just installed Falken Wilpeak AT Trails on my Subaru Ascent and these tires rock. The Wildpeak AT Trails are available in my size but the Wildpeak AT3 is not. Both are certified 3PMSF. The AT Trails are a bit more on-road friendly but they have a really tough looking tread design. Despite the fact that the sidewalls are stiffer and the handling is noticeably improved, the ride is much better (and quieter) than the oem Falkens that the Ascent came with. Haven't had them inclement weather yet though since it's so sunny here in California.

Having put falken Wildpeaks and averaging 320Wh/m imma have to put these on the next list. They look good. How do they handle snow?
I've had only one chance to drive in the snow so far, but I can say that they are a major improvement over the stock tires.

Consumption is notably higher. It's been really cold and windy in MD for the past couple of weeks, so I don't have good data to compare accurately yet. I'd estimate that consumption is up ~10%, even after compensating for the 3.5% larger diameter.

It's hard to say how this will compare over the life of the tire. My car's efficiency steadily improved for the first few thousand miles on my OEM tires, and I expect it to do the same with these. I wasn't diligent recording efficiency for those early miles. Perhaps the difference will be closer to 5% in a few months - I'll post when I know.

Even if the difference is 5%, these tires make the car much more enjoyable, and I'd buy them again.

One more note. With the tires being 3.5% taller, there is 3.5% less acceleration while the motor torque is the limiting factor (0-50 or so). My boosted 0-60 was ~4.15, but is now closer to 4.4. I expected 4.3. 4.15 runs were when it was warm, so battery temp may be a factor. Above 50 MPH, when the motors are HP limited, it's the same performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mulkogi and Stach
Don't have my MYLR yet, but I just installed Falken Wilpeak AT Trails on my Subaru Ascent and these tires rock. The Wildpeak AT Trails are available in my size but the Wildpeak AT3 is not. Both are certified 3PMSF. The AT Trails are a bit more on-road friendly but they have a really tough looking tread design. Despite the fact that the sidewalls are stiffer and the handling is noticeably improved, the ride is much better (and quieter) than the oem Falkens that the Ascent came with. Haven't had them inclement weather yet though since it's so sunny here in California.
I agree these tires are far better in every aspect except for efficiency obviously since they are heavier and bigger. On the MY it gives a nice aggressive look and fills the wheel well better. I haven’t had a chance to go to the snow yet but on very wet surface it was very grippy. I was trying to make it slip but I couldn’t. Size i went with is 235/55r19.

I agree these tires are far better in every aspect except for efficiency obviously since they are heavier and bigger. On the MY it gives a nice aggressive look and fills the wheel well better. I haven’t had a chance to go to the snow yet but on very wet surface it was very grippy. I was trying to make it slip but I couldn’t. Size i went with is 235/55r19.
235/55R19 - Are you using a wheel that's narrower than the OEM Gemeni?