Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
235/55R19 - Are you using a wheel that's narrower than the OEM Gemeni?

I like this idea. More sidewall to absorb potholes. You do give up 10 mm (4%) of tire width but how much of a disadvantage that is depends on the snow/ice conditions, and the tire is about 1/2" closer to the suspension knuckle.

Life was easier when I could start with an 18" wheel.
Just the stock Geminis. Tires don’t look too stretched and since i don’t go on trails that would require real sidewall protection i just caved in to try them myself. I’ve seen people run the 245s but those are not XL rated and I didn’t want to sacrifice that.
I’m debating also a set of 18” M3 wheels for winter tires.

Just the stock Geminis. Tires don’t look too stretched and since i don’t go on trails that would require real sidewall protection i just caved in to try them myself. I’ve seen people run the 245s but those are not XL rated and I didn’t want to sacrifice that.
That tire in a 235/55r19 is spec'd for a 6.5"-8.5" wheel. The Gemini is a 9.5" wide wheel, so that's stretching it a bit. I've seen tires stretched way more though. Saw this one a few weeks ago:
20220108_155424.jpg

Screenshot_20220203-151148_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I was thinking about 235/50R19 for the LR Model Y.
I found 4 tire choices at tirerack.com that are A/S with a severe snow rating. A few are 103 or 104v rated.

The only problem I see at the moment is that they are spec'd for 6.5 - 8.5 inch rims, while the Gemini are 9.5"

---
I think I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for 235/50R19 choices that are 'all weather' and fit on 9" - 9.5" wide Gemini wheels. Or bite the bullet and buy 8" rims with dedicated winter tyres for the winter.

So tell me, folks: is there a good reason why Tesla chose 9.5" wide wheels ?

Last edited:
On my MYLR I'm running 25/55/18 BFG Terrain-Trails on M3 wheels.
Perfect fit. Steering knuckle is clear, only tight spot is there's just 1/8" or so wheel well clearance at full steering lock. NBD.

I'm playing with tire pressures and finding that 45psi that the shop put in was pretty good,
Tried 42psi and the front got a little mushy, especially on freeway entrance ramps.

I strongly believe going to a 255/50/19 on Gemini wheels would be a good option for people to try after wearing out the OEM Conti's.
29" diameter and 10" wide seems to work very well, regardless of 19 or 18 wheel size. No real downside.

Reactions: e645824
Personally, I like the look, feel, and safety of more sidewall than the uber thin show tires. I'm on the fence about deciding if I want to replace the tires/wheels on my ordered PMY with a 245/50-18 or 255/45-19 that TSportLine offers. I like the looks of the thicker sidewall the 50 provides, but the 245 width seems a wee bit narrow. Hoping for some reviews and comments before I have to worry about it as my EDD is July - Sept and more likely Sept - Nov.

Thanks for sharing

I have the TST Satin Black 19' T-Sportine 255/45/19 with the Michelin CrossClimate2's on my MYLR. So far, they're good and slightly more comfortable than the Gemini's, but still breaking these in. If I could do over (which I will when it comes to replacing the tires down the road), I plan on doing the 50 to get the extra sidewall and make the tires look more formfitting to the Tesla itself. Not sure if it helps with choosing the wheel/tire combo for the MYP, but I hope it gives some visual on what to go for!

Attachments

• 03B41DFA-1FA4-4FC3-A918-71D090AE35A3.jpeg
    03B41DFA-1FA4-4FC3-A918-71D090AE35A3.jpeg
    915 KB · Views: 815
  • C77B25E8-9B04-4D0A-ACC9-4ACC0E1D78A7.jpeg
    C77B25E8-9B04-4D0A-ACC9-4ACC0E1D78A7.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 672
  • 48AF42F4-18C8-43C4-B6F7-39B19D1A2894_1_201_a.jpeg
    48AF42F4-18C8-43C4-B6F7-39B19D1A2894_1_201_a.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 587
Reactions: Mulkogi
The tires do grow due to centripetal force..kind of like a dragster. Check/verify that it hasn't rubbed
I run my MYLR on 255/55/18 with M3 factory wheels. Highway speeds to 90mph.
The increased diameter results in a 1"x1" rub patch on the backwall of the front wheelwells. None in the rear. In short, miniscule rubbing, low speed full-lock steering at most.
And no, passenger car tires don't grow like those of a dragster under centripetal force. Different tire construction - VERY different.

• Funny
Reactions: MY-Y
Very early review (10 miles), I'll post more later. I replaced my OEM tires at 22k miles. The rears had 4/32 (9/32 new) and the fronts had 4.5/32. I wanted a better tire for the snow.
1. The taller tire seems to fit. Any larger or a more square shoulder, and it'd hit the control arm (see pics).
2. The steering response is notably slower. May be the touring tire, thicker tread, taller sidewall, or more likely, a combination of all three.
3. It is notably quieter, a lot quieter. I'll test on more road surfaces soon.
4. It is much more compliant over the bumps. Much less harsh, and they aren't even broken in yet.
5. Less important, but they look great on the car to me.
6. I'll enjoy the extra 1/2" ground clearance with speed bumps.
7. Per GPS, my old setup had the speedometer read 2 MPH high at 70 MPH. It's accurate now.
8. Clearly, the Wh/mi will go up. 3.5% for the larger tire, more for the extra tread of a new tire, more for the higher rolling resistance design.
9. I'm sure the snow performance (3 snow flake design) is way better. Will report back when I test this.

View attachment 751501
Above: 3/4" clearance with worn OEM Conti 255/45r19. The tape measure was at a bit of an angle, so it may have been 11/16".

View attachment 751503
5/16" clearance on brand new 255/50r19 quatrac pros.
View attachment 751504View attachment 751505View attachment 751506

Now that it’s summer and you’ve had the tires for a while, how are they holding up?
Still quiet? Still better over bumps? How’s the power consumption? Would you still recommend them?

Reactions: davraker
Still (relatively) quiet, steering response inproved as the tires broke in, still good over the bumps. Rain amd snow traction are much better than OEM, and the extra 0.5" ground clearance is nice when going over speed bumps.

Consumption for spring 2021 was 235 Wh/mi (worn OEM). Spring 2022 (fresh Quatracs) was 266.

Keep in mind that my odometer and speedometer now reads 3.5% less. Accounting for this, my Spring 2022 consumption is really 257.

Consumption is 9.2% higher. Some of this is due to the deeper tread of the newer tires.

One more thing of note, the taller tires mean less acceleration while the performance is torque limited (somewhere around 50 MPH). My boosted 0-60 went from ~4.2 to ~4.4.

I'll likely replace these with the same tires when the time comes.

26K on OEM Conti’s. Will need to make a change before winter. Had high hopes on Michelin CrossClimate2's, but the reviews from Tesla owners has been less than stellar. Still hopeful on GY Electric Drive GT’s, but unclear when these will be available. The Quatrac Pro’s are at top of list currently.
The GY tire looks interesting. I suspect it'll beat the quatrac-pro in dry handling and efficiency, and lose for rain and snow. Looking forward to knowing when some testing is done.

Reactions: DrGriz
The increased diameter results in a 1"x1" rub patch on the backwall of the front wheelwells. None in the rear. In short, miniscule rubbing, low speed full-lock steering at most.
And no, passenger car tires don't grow like those of a dragster under centripetal force. Different tire construction - VERY differe
And no, passenger car tires don't grow like those of a dragster under centripetal force. Different tire construction - VERY different.
I’m not implying that they grow at the rate of a dragster tire, but they do grow. It may only be 1/16” overall, but if clearance is an issue it’s just a good idea to verify after driving that it still isn’t making contact.

I’m not implying that they grow at the rate of a dragster tire, but they do grow. It may only be 1/16” overall, but if clearance is an issue it’s just a good idea to verify after driving that it still isn’t making contact.
as I said, the tires I'm running only rub at full lock (steering wheel turned full), and even then it a tiny 1" square patch.
growth of passenger car tires at most any speed is miniscule. sure there might be 1/16" - but they're steel-belted radials, not bias ply, and lots of tread.