Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255 tire options with 18” wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wanting to move up to a 255 width tire: 255/40-18.

I know a lot of folks go with the pilot sports but I would like to stick with an all season.

I’m getting lost in sea of options and want to see if anyone had recommendations (besides not going all/no season tires).

I’m currently considering:

Goodyear eagle sport all season
Yokohama advan sport a/s
Bfgoodrich comp-2 a/s

Any suggestions or advice?

Will a 265 width tire fit on a LR RWD? And, are the stock rims wide enough to take a tire this size?
The aero rims are only 8.5in wide, 265s are only for 9in wide or more only. I’m not will to risk a tire blowing off a rim and high speed or hard turn, despite how little chance of that happening.
I see.. I saw reports on other forums that the 265 would fit 8.5 and people ran it like that no problems. I planned on ordering 18x9 and wasnt thinking about it. thanks

I see.. I saw reports on other forums that the 265 would fit 8.5 and people ran it like that no problems. I planned on ordering 18x9 and wasnt thinking about it. thanks
You probably can run at least some 265 on the 18x8.5. It is just outside recommended range but it is something that some do for specific reasons. Those reasons likely don't apply to you, so increasing the rim size you're using (if you really want the extra width) is probably the right direction.

People have successfully used up to 275, square, on the Model 3. It is tight enough though that it'll depend on the specific tire model (Bridgestone RE71R is what'll fit for sure).

Reactions: vletnguyen

I know a lot of folks go with the pilot sports but I would like to stick with an all season.

I’m getting lost in sea of options and want to see if anyone had recommendations (besides not going all/no season tires).

Yokohama advan sport a/s
Bfgoodrich comp-2 a/s

So did you end up going with the 255's on the OEM 18 in aeros? I'm looking to do this as well so hopefully someone has done this by now.

265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fits with a little bulge but no rubbing. I went this route as I found a set of stock wheels/tires with a little curb rash for dirt cheap but the tires were very worn. Will keep my original wheels/tires for road trips.

Attachments

• IMG_0033[1].JPG
    IMG_0033[1].JPG
    733.4 KB · Views: 3,058

Yokohama advan sport a/s
Bfgoodrich comp-2 a/s

Did you move to 255/40/18? Any pics? Results/feedback?

Consider whether someone who wants all seasons, also actually wants a wider tire? If you want more grip, you will get way more grip by getting a performance oriented tire in the factory size, and maintain better efficiency, and have less weight. If you want all weather safety, going wider makes snow and rain performance less safe, such that a Pilot Sport at 235 may be just as safe in rain/snow as an all season at 255, again with better efficiency and less weight.

Reactions: tm1v2
Consider whether someone who wants all seasons, also actually wants a wider tire? If you want more grip, you will get way more grip by getting a performance oriented tire in the factory size, and maintain better efficiency, and have less weight. If you want all weather safety, going wider makes snow and rain performance less safe, such that a Pilot Sport at 235 may be just as safe in rain/snow as an all season at 255, again with better efficiency and less weight.
What about those who just want to avoid curb rash, what size would you recommend then?

Reactions: Floydsox