Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

26 days since config, no VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I thought this would be a good time and place for my first post.

I am not a previous owner or employee. I am a first day, online, reservation holder. I configured on March 28th, and this morning, my reservation number turned into a VIN number. Just as I was getting over the shock, I got an email from Tesla sending me a delivery checklist and asking for a Pre-Approval letter from my bank. So, about 5 1/2 weeks from configuring to VIN. It's Monday and Tesla said that the car would be done by Tuesday or Wednesday. I know it's tough but, try to be patient. When it happens, it happens fast.

Hang in there everyone.

Hello everyone, I thought this would be a good time and place for my first post.

I am not a previous owner or employee. I am a first day, online, reservation holder. I configured on March 28th, and this morning, my reservation number turned into a VIN number. Just as I was getting over the shock, I got an email from Tesla sending me a delivery checklist and asking for a Pre-Approval letter from my bank. So, about 5 1/2 weeks from configuring to VIN. It's Monday and Tesla said that the car would be done by Tuesday or Wednesday. I know it's tough but, try to be patient. When it happens, it happens fast.

Hang in there everyone.

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of a 1-2 day turnaround after getting VIN, that's definitely fast! Congrats.

Did you fill in all the information on the site? I completed all 5 "checkmarks" the same day.

I only have one marked complete and that is "Trade-In" since I don't have a trade-in. Under "Driver's License" I have "Complete Registration Details First Step ! >" Yet you can't click on the arrow and I have already emailed Tesla a copy of my DL. Under "Insurance" I have "Incomplete" since I need a VIN before ICBC will provide proof of insurance and that usually happens when we pick them up -- or at least it did with my S. The last "incomplete" I have is "payment method" yet when I click the drop down box it reads "You have chosen to pay with cash." So of course, that can't be marked "complete" until I pay, which is when I pick up the vehicle.

I don't see how you can have completed all 5 "checkmarks" the same day and only one has a green check mark for me and there's nothing I can do about the others (EDIT: I was wrong and have now have checkmarks for all but insurance). Yet Tesla called me to tell me about delivery in June so it seems I am on track even though I don't have a VIN yet, although I don't think anyone in BC does yet. Please someone tell me I am wrong on that one!

Last edited:
I only have one marked complete and that is "Trade-In" since I don't have a trade-in. Under "Driver's License" I have "Complete Registration Details First Step ! >" Yet you can't click on the arrow and I have already emailed Tesla a copy of my DL. Under "Insurance" I have "Incomplete" since I need a VIN before ICBC will provide proof of insurance and that usually happens when we pick them up -- or at least it did with my S. The last "incomplete" I have is "payment method" yet when I click the drop down box it reads "You have chosen to pay with cash." So of course, that can't be marked "complete" until I pay, which is when I pick up the vehicle.

I don't see how you can have completed all 5 "checkmarks" the same day -- I only see 4 -- and only one has a green check mark for me and there's nothing I can do about the others. Yet Tesla called me to tell me about delivery in June so it seems I am on track even though I don't have a VIN yet, although I don't think anyone in BC does yet. Please someone tell me I am wrong on that one!

I'm from BC as well. I've been trying to track other BC dwellers for any signs of VINs... in desperate need of my hourly VIN hit.

Anyway, I absent-mindedly provided my current insurance information to the configurator and when I read your post I realized that maybe i made a mistake. I did some research and found this thread - Regarding insurance info | Tesla. One user reported that he called and was told its the proof of insurance for the current car. So I suppose the current insurance is enough. Here are some other threads that may be applicable. Insurance in BC

In any case, I have 4 tick marks and one incomplete -- that's for trade in.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck

I don't see how you can have completed all 5 "checkmarks" the same day -- I only see 4 -- and only one has a green check mark for me and there's nothing I can do about the others. Yet Tesla called me to tell me about delivery in June so it seems I am on track even though I don't have a VIN yet, although I don't think anyone in BC does yet. Please someone tell me I am wrong on that one!

Also, I've picked cash as well, and its a checkmark for me...

In any case, I have 4 tick marks and one incomplete -- that's for trade in.

I looked at the boxes in more detail and completed what they needed and so I now have four green checkmarks and I only have "Insurance" as incomplete. I don't see how my current insurance is relevant, especially since I have a few other vehicles and I'm getting a new policy for my 3 -- so I don't want to be giving them a policy I am keeping in case it somehow gets cancelled on the issuing of a new one.

Also, I've picked cash as well, and its a checkmark for me...

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a "confirm" button. I hit that and I now have a checkmark on that one too.

I've been trying to track other BC dwellers for any signs of VINs... in desperate need of my hourly VIN hit.

Me too!

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of a 1-2 day turnaround after getting VIN, that's definitely fast! Congrats.

As I was looking at the forum, I got this call:
IMG_6612.PNG

My delivery is set for 5/20.

It's coming Winston, promise.

I was also lined up the 31st. Configured 3/30 of this year and received my VIN on 4/27, so 29 days later, counting configuration day. So that is in keeping with what we have experienced. I think the shut down for a week to retool affected us as well. I was told 3-6 weeks to have the vehicle from configuration. Counting the retool week, I will have the car on the 7th week.

As has been said, once you get the VIN, it accelerates. Less than three weeks from receiving my VIN, I will have the car. I have been in constant contact with my sales advisor and she has answered all my questions and helped the process immensely.

I have my delivery date set up for May 18th. Earliest I could do was the 16th, but as I work M-F I wanted to get it Friday afternoon to get a full weekend to detail it.

It's been a long 2+ years, sir, but it will soon be yours. Best of wishes!

Reactions: WinstonY
Got my vin as well.
Very happy
Not sure how to like (the little thumbs up) your post so, I'll just reply. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Get ready for a busy next couple of days. When I got my VIN, I got an email from Tesla confirming my choices, then, the next day, I got a phone call. Later that night I was signing my sales contract and emailing it to my bank. The next day, I was setting up delivery. Fast doesn't start to describe it. I will say, it was the best and easiest way to buy a car. Just a tip, be sitting down when you see the final sales price. Enjoy the next few days and congratulations once again.

• Love
Reactions: Twiglett