Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

265/35/19 9.5 Forged Aftermarket rims, alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I purchased aftermarket rims and they much wider. 9.5 inch vs 8.5 stock, and 265 width tires vs 235 stock

I am on stock suspension, my car is a performance stealth so basically a long range awd in terms of hardware.

I am considering getting lowering springs in the future, but as of now, I have the stock suspension and my alignment is terrible.

I did take it to an alignment shop and got the car aligned but within the week the alignment was horrible.

I have an upcoming service appointment with tesla soon regarding alignment and I will try to ask some techs over there, but I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you guys that also went this route. Can anyone chime in?

Are you sure that tesla will perform an alignment on aftermarket rims and tires? I dont know the answer to this, but feel it is a fair question unless its been asked and answered already. You might want to verify it if you havent.

Are you sure that tesla will perform an alignment on aftermarket rims and tires? I dont know the answer to this, but feel it is a fair question unless its been asked and answered already. You might want to verify it if you havent.
I sure hope they do, I told them I was buying aftermarket wheels and the tech said I should come in for an alignment. I've seen on Apex's page they had -1.0* of camber on 18x9.5" +34mm wheels.

I'm assuming the same would work for 19x9.5" +30mm with 275's?

Your wheels and tires will not change your alignment (at least not to any noticeable degree, unless you have some really unevenly worn tires). The alignment has to do with the suspension, not the wheels and tires. The suspension alignment dictates where the wheels and tires are pointing, not the other way around.

Furthermore, the only adjustability on stock suspension is the toe. Wheels and tires are not going to change toe (unless you installed them very, very wrong lol).

Your wheels and tires will not change your alignment (at least not to any noticeable degree, unless you have some really unevenly worn tires). The alignment has to do with the suspension, not the wheels and tires. The suspension alignment dictates where the wheels and tires are pointing, not the other way around.

Furthermore, the only adjustability on stock suspension is the toe. Wheels and tires are not going to change toe (unless you installed them very, very wrong lol).
The question was whether or not -1* of camber was good for a 19x9.5" +30 wheel with a 275/35/19 tire?

The APEX gallery on this site has 2 set ups for 18x9.5" with +35 -2*F / -2.5*R and +34 -1* F and R.

Just normal Southern California aggressive driving. I will not planning on buying any new hardware for my M3P.

It seems like anywhere from -1 to-2.5 is ok?

You're not going to get anywhere near -2.5 on stock suspension. Stock range is -.05 to -.95 in the front and 0 to -2 in the rear. But again it doesn't really matter because whatever you have, is what you have. You can't change it unless you get adjustable arms. But I mean somewhere near -1 all around would be best.

The only time I've ever had a perfect alignment was when I did it myself with strings. The imbeciles at most places mainly worry about getting it "in the green" and moving on with their day. Find a good shop - you'll pay more, but it'll come out right.

The only time I've ever had a perfect alignment was when I did it myself with strings. The imbeciles at most places mainly worry about getting it "in the green" and moving on with their day. Find a good shop - you'll pay more, but it'll come out right.

Sad, but true - especially with flat rate technicians. That's one nice thing about Tesla - their technicians are paid hourly so they have no reason to rush through jobs. I guess on the flipside they also might spend a half-hour staring at your car 🤣

This is an option, but the adjustment range is very small. You might be able to gain .25 degrees.
Seems like the only way to get negative camber on the front is to loosen the top of the strut and move it in or out 😂
MPP has front upper control arms that give you +/- 3 degrees of adjustment for camber.

Most generic shops will only try to get the car within the green. Specialty shops will aim for the desired number.