Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

265/40R20 Fits!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotcha, yep, I was confused - since the title was different... so are we now saying that a 29.3" tall tire will fit a Model Y Performance?

the link above in the reddit forum says that a 29.6" tall tire works, but it is over 3/4" narrower (than what i am looking to do) so may be helping clear the "knuckle." I am having my 29.3" tires (wider by almost an inch) installed tmrw morning and will report back if it fits, how much clearance is left and what efficiency looks like post. I have a thread going with some baselines already, so give that a look and I hope to provide some more information tmrw.

Reactions: Sixth
the link above in the reddit forum says that a 29.6" tall tire works, but it is over 3/4" narrower (than what i am looking to do) so may be helping clear the "knuckle." I am having my 29.3" tires (wider by almost an inch) installed tmrw morning and will report back if it fits, how much clearance is left and what efficiency looks like post. I have a thread going with some baselines already, so give that a look and I hope to provide some more information tmrw.

Thanks and I am in that thread too... Hope it all goes well.

I'm running 285/35/20 square on my MYP and have lost only 10-15% range compared to the Stock 21" Uberturbines. The wheels I'm running are forged and the wheel+tires are still lighter than stock.

I've already got a set of 295/35/20 PS4S tires in my shed for after I burn through this set. :)

thank you very much... certainly give me hope that the 265/40/21s will fit on the front without rub...
Go to post # 50. It is doable, planning to replace my tires as well when I get my MYP.

Reactions: Quorky
Go to post # 50. It is doable, planning to replace my tires as well when I get my MYP.

Yep :) since that was my post I have determined through the process that it does fit.

Reactions: Maximus2002
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Are you still happy with your current setup?

Honestly, we love it. The sidewall protection is amazing and the stance looks like there is no wheel well gap at all. We keep it at 46-48psi and love the tight feel. I would def do it again. Hands down, this is what the original tires were meant to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus2002
Im guessing there really isn’t a range penalty for these tires. I did some research previously on this and at 70 MPH you are actually running 71 MPH. So at 100 miles you really drove 110 miles. Guessing by the time you calculate that out there won’t be much of a range loss. I’m going with 265/40zr20 winter tires on the inductions. Doing it so I don’t have to curb those darn wheels. Already had two of them fixed from curbing. No way am I putting 255s back on them!

The new tires look awesome! For my little book of 'future information', when you replace tires on a Tesla can you reuse the factory-installed TPMS sensors or do you have to buy all new ones?

Also, probably a Jeopardy question, but what are those little thin "nubby" things protruding from the tire sidewall? Do they serve any purpose?

The new tires look awesome! For my little book of 'future information', when you replace tires on a Tesla can you reuse the factory-installed TPMS sensors or do you have to buy all new ones?

Also, probably a Jeopardy question, but what are those little thin "nubby" things protruding from the tire sidewall? Do they serve any purpose?
The factory TPMS is reusable. I believe the "nubby things" to which you are referring are leftovers from the injection molding process for making tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Honestly, we love it. The sidewall protection is amazing and the stance looks like there is no wheel well gap at all. We keep it at 46-48psi and love the tight feel. I would def do it again. Hands down, this is what the original tires were meant to be.
Good to know. Did you keep these for winter as well or just for fair weather?

The factory TPMS is reusable. I believe the "nubby things" to which you are referring are leftovers from the injection molding process for making tires.
Thanks for reminding me my 2016 Camaro 2SS winter rims/tires probably won't sink up with the TPMS. I may need to sell them or see if I can make the Extreme Contact tires work with new rims.

245/40ZR20
275/35ZR20

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/40-20 3.9in 13.9in 27.7in 87.1in 728 0.0%
275/35-20 3.8in 13.8in 27.6in 86.6in 731 -0.5%

Last edited:
@MikeInFL Do the 265s ride nicer than 255? How much of a range drop did you notice after upgrading?
Also, how did you go about replacing the tires - were the shop people able to buy your 255s or did you have to sell them elsewhere and basically pay full price for 265s?

Thank you for posting the side wall pictures! They assure me of what I was thinking of doing is going to look better than the OEM setup.

Reactions: boulder.dude