Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

265 or 255 width tires for aftermarket wheels, MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to actively track my MYP, and one of the things on my list like a lot of people is to switch out my Uberturbines with an aftermarket set of wheels/tires (if anyone wants a set w/ 3k miles in SoCal let me know! only two are curb rashed haha). I'm pretty settled on a set of 19's that aren't staggered with Michelin PS4S on them that I can also daily, and then I'll get a true dedicated track set of tires/wheels later.

Given the curb rashing I've already experienced, I'm thinking about going to 265 width tires to give it some more room and I'm guessing the extra contact, while hurting efficiency slightly (which I don't care about) should provide better grip anyway. Any downsides to 265 width tires I'm not considering? Like I said, efficiency is not my priority so I don't consider that a downside per se.

Would be interested to see some pics that show how much these wider widths 'stick out' over the rim and protect it a bit better. I've slightly rashed the passenger's side wheels on my car - I remember doing one but not the other. I suspect my wife did that one. But I won't ask her....

I'm running 265 tires on a 9.5" rim with a +30mm offset (front & rear, square setup) on my Performance Model Y.

Fitment is good and there's good protection for the rim, but I wouldn't mind running 275 tires on there for extra protection. My only issue with that is there's more (and better) tire availability in a 265 width for 21" wheels.

Offset2.jpg

Offset1.jpg

Those look good. Is the offset required for fit?

No, and you're perfectly fine with +35mm offset wheels if you're going to run wider 265 or 275 tires. The issue I've seen is the wider tire may rub the front knuckle when turning, but that's usually when you're running the Gemini or Induction wheels that have a +45mm offset.

The specific wheels I went with only came in a +30mm offset so I had to go with that. From pics I've seen of other cars (mostly with 20" wheels and either a +32 or +30mm offset), the wheels & tires are flush with the Model Y fenders.

Shoot ... I got 20" Martians with +45mm offset to replace my 21" uberturbines. I am honestly very new to aftermarket wheels/tires. Sounds like that may be an issue running 265s (was planning Michelin Pilot Pro All Season 4s 265/40/20)?