Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

27 phantom brake in 10 miles. How often should I press camera button to report? 10.6.1 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our experience is so bad at night on 2 lane state highway, wife makes ME drive instead of FSD Last night, 40 miles to a Christmas party w/o her, so I did a test. FSD on and it picked 59 MPH in a 55 zone. OK.

I counted times it slowed down at all. 27. No overpasses, or parked cars on side of road or deer or anything to slow for. Rather a wide, well maintained State road with wide shoulders. A little snow on the center line that was present sometimes. Edge lines were always completely clear and the graphic always seemed to be finding the centerline even with some snow on it in places. (FYI going home I turned off the Beta and used the Legacy stack, driving same road the other way. 1 phantom brake in 10 miles.)

The FSD brakes with normally NOTHING obvious to me causing it and varied from light, you just feel it, to the more common, energy gage on the X goes into 10KWish regen and slows to about 56mph. Some were all the way to full 50kw+ full regen. Slowed from 59 to 48 or 49. No reason I could see.

Worst was top of a slight hill with slight left curve, as on coming car lights cleared the hill, FSD must have thought in my lane, full brakes and flashing red dash with audible warning. They were obviously to me NOT in my lane. I pressed the camera button on that one.

So say that one gets fixed. Should I have pressed the button for the 26 other cases?

As it is, the old stack works better for me than FSD on our road (1 VS 27 events) . Only miss the ability to go more than +5 over the limit as some database errors around us list side roads as 25mph. FSD is good at getting by that limit. But the legacy stack is Way more relaxing. Fear V11 and single stack will be a step backwards and effectively kill even Cruise Control usage when wife is along.

Rant: why is Tesla the only one who never solved Radar and phantom Braking? And vision only so far isn't alot better. Personally for my job, I've driven rentals over the last 4 years from Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Mazda and Honda all with their own version of TACC and auto braking or collision alarm. NONE of them ever slam on the brakes or alarm like the Tesla. Didn't even know Phantom Braking was a thing until we got ours. Please just fix this.... End Rant

So say that one gets fixed. Should I have pressed the button for the 26 other cases?
I would only report the most serious one.

They made the report button so small on a 3/Y that you can't push the button without looking away from the road. So I'd say its too dangerous to hit.

I did have a drive similar to yours where there was so much phantom braking that I got so irked I did the camera recalibration and that seemed to reduce the frequency of it. But, who knows if it actually really did as the journey was different the way back.

Not a FSD beta-tester, but I have had lots of similar issues with phantom braking on the public software for the last month or two. There is a very kludgy workaround: if you can anticipate the issue (right now, it seems to be semi trucks going the opposite way on a 2-lane highway) you can press the accelerator, which defeats automatic braking. But that's hardly an excuse for a pretty dangerous behavior in the software.

I still can’t believe people pay 10-12k for something that says beta, should be free until it somewhat works. Which at this rate might be another 10 years. Also funny that all this is relying on whether the guy painted the lines straight on the roads.

Reactions: Revolver3131
I still can’t believe people pay 10-12k for something that says beta, should be free until it somewhat works. Which at this rate might be another 10 years. Also funny that all this is relying on whether the guy painted the lines straight on the roads.
Odd, the streets in my area have No lines yet it still works perfectly. Really should know how the system works to validate your claims.

Reactions: Dewg and henderrj
Odd, the streets in my area have No lines yet it still works perfectly. Really should know how the system works to validate your claims.
The first 1 mile from our house is blacktop with NO lines (center or edge). FSD will currently pick a random location is want to drive in. Some times the left lane, some times the middle, sometimes the right lane. And it will randomly move from the choosen path to 1 of the other 2. Lucky rarely any traffic on the road or couldn't use it. Opps, meant to say I don't use it there as this is totally unsafe and a cop would surely pull the car over if it saw this action.