Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2700 to fix MCU. Might DIY, but how much to reprogram new unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we took the 2013 Model S to the shop when the screen went black. We were beginning to get bubbles on each side of the screen as well. So it looks like the MCU croaked. The repair is $2700 and a premium MCU and screen is available online for $1100. But the seller says that it will need to be programmed by Tesla. Does anyone know what that cost might be?

I thought it might piss them off, turning down the repait work and then asking them to program the used unit I put in. But I just picked the car up and the rep was not sure they could reprogam it and said if they could it would take a "long time" and the charge would be about $175. Too many people have swapped these units so it must be able to be done.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So it looks like @Ingineer is definitely the go-to guy about the screen and MCU, but I am in SF Bay area and he is in NY. And it seems that he has a backlog of service requests way into the future. What a great resource!
I think I will have to leave it to my local service center to get it up and running.

Most likely the LCD is only bad on your current MCU. If audio still works, then it is likely just the LCD went out.

Replacing ONLY the LCD, and keeping the current circuitry, would mean that no re-program is necessary. (i.e. swap the LCD in from a new, good unit)

The hard part is you have to pull apart half the dash to do this, and then take the MCU apart. I just did it yesterday, about 2 hours work if you are experienced, 4+ if this is your first time. If you were closer, I would walk you through it in person.

I thought most of the times that the MCU went blank is because the flash chip ran out of storage/was worn out because of excessive writing. (The only time the LCD has been bad is because of leaking goo.)

He has a bubble LCD. Anyway, if the music is still playing then most likely it is the display itself, and not the computer in the MCU. Anyway, of course no guarantees till proper troubleshooting is performed.

Thanks for all the posts. There is no music and the Tesla shop said it was the MCU that died. On YouTube I found the accelerated video of a MCU/screen swap and then took my laptop to my local service shop that specializes in limo work. I showed the video to the shop owner and 3 service writers. They said they take screens out of all kinds of luxury cars and thought they could do it. So I thought I would get the premium MCU available on EBay in SoCal and have the shop replace it and then go back to the Tesla shop and have them program it.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Most likely the LCD is only bad on your current MCU. If audio still works, then it is likely just the LCD went out.

Replacing ONLY the LCD, and keeping the current circuitry, would mean that no re-program is necessary. (i.e. swap the LCD in from a new, good unit)

The hard part is you have to pull apart half the dash to do this, and then take the MCU apart. I just did it yesterday, about 2 hours work if you are experienced, 4+ if this is your first time. If you were closer, I would walk you through it in person.
I watched the sped-up video of a swap on YouTube and during the extraction the guy goes around to the frunk to do something. Not sure what that is about. Can you pass along some pointers or aspects that we need to be careful about?

Last edited:
wow you have 135k miles? How's your MS holding up other than this screen problem?
I think we are on drivetrain #5 and it is now that one clunking intermittently, so maybe we take that one back in. We are on battery charger #2 and battery rebuild #3. We had most of the upgrades (wind noise on the door windows, etc). We had a left rear door handle start to go bad, took it to the shop and they fiddled with it and wanted to replace it, but afterwards no problems so we did not replace it.