Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

274 miles of range at 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got 2020.40.8 on my performance model Y and while I never look at miles, I switched over to see what my total is after the update. It’s only 274 miles.

I know this is a guesstimate, but what steps do you take to get his to be more accurate? I always charge to just 80% and usually let the battery get below 50% before charging, never below 20% and will go days before I charge because I’m not driving all that much. So instead of charging after a five mile drive for a coffee, I’ll wait a week. All charging at home.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• E49EA5E6-5674-49AF-9F85-3CB1321F6AC8.png
    E49EA5E6-5674-49AF-9F85-3CB1321F6AC8.png
    678 KB · Views: 171
There's a large number of factors that can cause you potential max miles to go up or down. It changes all the time. Some of the factors you have no control over. Just let it do it's thing and don't worry if it's so many miles below advertised,

Reactions: Riguy
If you search you'll see several techniques for charging to get a more accurate measure - too much discussion to rehash here. And in the end you won't change the actual range, just the number displayed. I wouldn't sweat it...

Reactions: GeezerSquid
...I always charge to just 80%...

80% is what was mentioned 6 years ago and not very favorably if you want to minimize the calculation inaccuracy:

"We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge- between 60-80% -capacity estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery."

...will go days before I charge because I’m not driving all that much. So instead of charging after a five mile drive for a coffee, I’ll wait a week. All charging at home.

I understand if owners can't plug in because they have no access to an electrical outlet at home (apartments...) but delaying charging is not what the owner's manual wants.

Also a performance model here. Updated software and switched to miles to check. 290 at 100%. I usually charge to 90% 3 times a week, no home charging but free charging at work. I have a lead foot so I’m wondering what it was before the update as it was rated for 291 miles. So you’re not alone

Plug it in whenever it's at home... A plugged in Tesla (EV) is a happy Tesla (EV)

The car will stop charging when it reaches the set charge limit and then once the battery drains off enough it'll re-charge back up. As mentioned above, it makes no sense unless you don't have the option to plug it in at every opportunity. Tesla really needs to start an advertising department to get rid of these old gas mindsets.

Plug it in whenever it's at home... A plugged in Tesla (EV) is a happy Tesla (EV)

The car will stop charging when it reaches the set charge limit and then once the battery drains off enough it'll re-charge back up. As mentioned above, it makes no sense unless you don't have the option to plug it in at every opportunity. Tesla really needs to start an advertising department to get rid of these old gas mindsets.

Even if I drive 5 miles to get a caffeine fix and return home? I guess I can't get out of the gas mindset.

Even if I drive 5 miles to get a caffeine fix and return home? I guess I can't get out of the gas mindset.

YES!

I imagine you paid at least $200+ for a 14-50 NEMA outlet in your garage, why the hell wouldn't you use it? There's no reason not to plug the car in, like none. You're in Indiana, they get legit winter there... you're going to want to pre-condition your vehicle. If it's not plugged in you're wasting battery energy to heat the vehicle/battery up vs if it was plugged in then the car can auto-magically pre-condition without using it's own energy. It basically pulls all the power it needs from the plug (shore-power if you will).

I mean you're going to be paying to "fill-up" the battery one way or the other but one of those ways at least leaves you with a full battery constantly whenever you're ready for a coffee run. Most people screw themselves over a few times before learning they should just plug the car in every time they park near their charger, ask my Wife (she's forgotten twice since getting her new Model Y back in June, hasn't forgotten since!)

If you're running back out the door 20mins later or even 5hrs later then that's totally up to you. The thing is, new EV owners still have the gas tank mindset that if it's got at least a quarter tank then no worries. Well if you live in a small town or your nearest SuperCharger isn't very close then you're SOL right? So it's in your favor to just get in the habit of plugging in. Until there's chargers on every block it's just good practice.

YES!

I imagine you paid at least $200+ for a 14-50 NEMA outlet in your garage, why the hell wouldn't you use it? There's no reason not to plug the car in, like none. You're in Indiana, they get legit winter there... you're going to want to pre-condition your vehicle. If it's not plugged in you're wasting battery energy to heat the vehicle/battery up vs if it was plugged in then the car can auto-magically pre-condition without using it's own energy. It basically pulls all the power it needs from the plug (shore-power if you will).

I mean you're going to be paying to "fill-up" the battery one way or the other but one of those ways at least leaves you with a full battery constantly whenever you're ready for a coffee run. Most people screw themselves over a few times before learning they should just plug the car in every time they park near their charger, ask my Wife (she's forgotten twice since getting her new Model Y back in June, hasn't forgotten since!)

If you're running back out the door 20mins later or even 5hrs later then that's totally up to you. The thing is, new EV owners still have the gas tank mindset that if it's got at least a quarter tank then no worries. Well if you live in a small town or your nearest SuperCharger isn't very close then you're SOL right? So it's in your favor to just get in the habit of plugging in. Until there's chargers on every block it's just good practice.
I don’t believe there is such a thing as “shore power”. By definition any power needed to precondition has to come from the battery. Leaving the car plugged in while preconditioning the battery will get topped off.

So I just got 2020.40.8 on my performance model Y and while I never look at miles, I switched over to see what my total is after the update. It’s only 274 miles.

I know this is a guesstimate, but what steps do you take to get his to be more accurate? I always charge to just 80% and usually let the battery get below 50% before charging, never below 20% and will go days before I charge because I’m not driving all that much. So instead of charging after a five mile drive for a coffee, I’ll wait a week. All charging at home.

Thoughts?
Once every two months, you should charge your car to 100%, so the battery management system can re-calibrate and calculate the battery % and miles more accurately.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Once every two months, you should charge your car to 100%, so the battery management system can re-calibrate and calculate the battery % and miles more accurately.
I thought charging to 90% after a fairly deep discharge would recalibrate the BMS. Is it really necessary to charge to 100%? I know batteries don’t like 100% SOC.

No, that’s totally unnecessary unless you expect to precondition prior to the next drive, typically in the winter.

This subject gets replies from all over the map. I suggest spending some time browsing the following thread and coming to your own conclusion about how best to charge your car. How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Who cares if the estimated range is inaccurate? It's just an estimate. And the car won't know actual range since you aren't doing 0-100 charges to show where the range is.

If you go on a trip and find you have lost 30% capacity, then its a warranty claim.