Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

275/30R20's on a M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a '21 M3P with the 20"x8.5" wheels. They come standard with 235/35R20 tires. The rolling diameter of a 275/30R20 is the same, and the all-season tires I want to run come in that size.

I'm currently on 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers, but can change that up.
My question is just if anyone has run these yet, and do they rub ever. I am aware a 275 tire is 10.8" wide on an 8.5" wide wheel, but the 235 (9.25") looks like it's stretched on it all the same.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

If you're talking about the stock wheels on your 2021 M3P then it's actually 20x9 +35.

With those size tires and spacers, you're going to get a dune buggy look lol
Additionally, 275 is a little too wide for a 9" wide wheel

What is your reasoning for wanting to go 275/30?

Danny
Hey Danny,

Thanks for the info. I was finding a lot of different info on what size tires I had and haven't had a chance to pull one off since yesterday.

ha ha I know that'd be too wide, I'll likely move the 15mm front to the rear, and get an 8mm for the front. Or just see how they look with no spacers. The tires currently sit about perfect for my taste.

The reason for 275/30's. 1) Matching rolling diameter, 2) the all-season tires I like come in that size.
I've run Vredestein Quatrac Pro's before and was really impressed. Not a bad price for what you get and I'm not very interested in swapping summer/winter tires or having two sets of wheels. At least not right now.
I am open to suggestions though!

I also like the look of a flush, wide tire.
Here's a couple pics from an Audi I had ~10 years ago that I absolutely loved how it looked (265/35R18's on 9" wide wheel). I'd like to get my M3 looking more similar to this.
459138_10150831559980814_904842454_o.jpg

470054_10150831568895814_1982083890_o.jpg

529844_10150695836375814_458694460_n.jpg

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the info. I was finding a lot of different info on what size tires I had and haven't had a chance to pull one off since yesterday.

ha ha I know that'd be too wide, I'll likely move the 15mm front to the rear, and get an 8mm for the front. Or just see how they look with no spacers. The tires currently sit about perfect for my taste.

The reason for 275/30's. 1) Matching rolling diameter, 2) the all-season tires I like come in that size.
I've run Vredestein Quatrac Pro's before and was really impressed. Not a bad price for what you get and I'm not very interested in swapping summer/winter tires or having two sets of wheels. At least not right now.
I am open to suggestions though!

I also like the look of a flush, wide tire.
Here's a couple pics from an Audi I had ~10 years ago that I absolutely loved how it looked (265/35R18's on 9" wide wheel). I'd like to get my M3 looking more similar to this.
View attachment 653462
View attachment 653463
View attachment 653464
Gotcha, gotcha!

275 on a 9" is not unheard of, it's just going to look really thicc on there.

attachment.php.jpeg

Spacers are definitely going to be a no go with those specs. Do you have any pictures of your M3P on how it's sitting now?
As far as I'm concerned, nobody makes a hub centric 8mm spacer for our cars and matching shank lug nuts to safely mount.

Danny

This is probably the closest pic I have to showing it.
1618336482951.png

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to popping the hubs off and pressing in some new/longer studs if need be. I also have a lathe if I need to trim up my current spacers. We'll see. Hopefully it's not that much work.

I also want to lower it a little, but I hate the aftermarket upper control arms out there. I just want someone to make a steel upper control arm that gives me ~-1.5deg camber after being lowered, no adjustability, and bushings/ball joints can be pressed in.

That looks... pretty awesome.
Is that your car?

I'm actually concerned if I lower it any, I'll have too much negative camber and start eating the inside of the tire up. I've had that on other vehicles. I need slightly longer upper control arms so it keeps my negative camber to a minimum. I just want to get this thing to a stance I enjoy, forget about it, and drive it.
I would love to be ~40mm lower with the same camber I have stock.

That looks... pretty awesome.
Is that your car?

I'm actually concerned if I lower it any, I'll have too much negative camber and start eating the inside of the tire up. I've had that on other vehicles. I need slightly longer upper control arms so it keeps my negative camber to a minimum. I just want to get this thing to a stance I enjoy, forget about it, and drive it.
I would love to be ~40mm lower with the same camber I have stock.
You'll be fine. -1.5 is barely out of spec for these cars. Just get a really good alignment that will zero out your toe.
This is my car lowered about 2" sitting at -1.6 degrees camber up front, no excessive tire wear.

1618355109618.jpeg

Feel free to message for any further questions or need suspension / wheels / tires help.
Happy to help!
Danny

That looks great! Want to PM me some details if you don't mind?

Are those coilovers? I've done them before and don't have an interest to do them again in a 'salty' environment like half the year is in MN.
If they're springs and shocks, I'm very interested.
What wheel and tire size?
Lastly do you have an alignment sheet you could share? I've actually killed a LOT of tires by excessive tire wear on the inside with 1.5-2.5deg of neg camber. I've played around with 0-0.05deg toe, but it seems like the wider the tire, the harder it's hit. I've got a mitutoyo digital protractor. When I lower the car, I might mount it to the hubs and try and make a spreadsheet at different heights to understand camber.

You'll be fine. -1.5 is barely out of spec for these cars. Just get a really good alignment that will zero out your toe.
This is my car lowered about 2" sitting at -1.6 degrees camber up front, no excessive tire wear.

View attachment 653570

Feel free to message for any further questions or need suspension / wheels / tires help.
Happy to help!
Danny
Curious what those wheels and tires are? Do you have a coilover set on that or just Springs?

Are those coilovers? I've done them before and don't have an interest to do them again in a 'salty' environment like half the year is in MN.
Lastly do you have an alignment sheet you could share? I've actually killed a LOT of tires by excessive tire wear on the inside with 1.5-2.5deg of neg camber. I've played around with 0-0.05deg toe, but it seems like the wider the tire, the harder it's hit. I've got a mitutoyo digital protractor. When I lower the car, I might mount it to the hubs and try and make a spreadsheet at different heights to understand camber.

Curious what those wheels and tires are? Do you have a coilover set on that or just Springs?

@MountainPass Comfort Coilovers turned all the way down.
@SignatureSales SV105 Wheels custom turned all the way up.

👍
Danny

Reactions: dfwatt

You should be aware that both the mountain pass coilover kits are Inox stainless steel and are just about impossible to corrode. We got them at least in part specifically for that reason because we are in a salty environment in Florida and we originally thought we would be spending some time in the winter in New England where of course there's tons of salt. But if corrosion is your concern both of their fine coilover kits are really the antidote to that. And that's before you even get to the other huge advantages that those MPP kits have over just Springs. I would never recommend just doing springs on the model 3 and if you Google that you will get a ton of discussion in a lot of the threads discussing the stock suspension in terms of why it is even worse when you add lowering springs to the equation.

@MountainPass Comfort Coilovers turned all the way down.
@SignatureSales SV105 Wheels custom turned all the way up.

👍
Danny
Thanks and thanks for the PM!

You should be aware that both the mountain pass coilover kits are Inox stainless steel and are just about impossible to corrode. We got them at least in part specifically for that reason because we are in a salty environment in Florida and we originally thought we would be spending some time in the winter in New England where of course there's tons of salt. But if corrosion is your concern both of their fine coilover kits are really the antidote to that. And that's before you even get to the other huge advantages that those MPP kits have over just Springs. I would never recommend just doing springs on the model 3 and if you Google that you will get a ton of discussion in a lot of the threads discussing the stock suspension in terms of why it is even worse when you add lowering springs to the equation.
I do appreciate the advice, but I agree you need shocks too. That's why I specifically asked ;-)

As for the corrosion, I've had Aluminum and Zinc plated coilovers in the past while living in MI, IL, CO, and MN. The Zinc eventually rusted a bit and was completely useless, and the Aluminum got some white rust and seized up on the threads to the point that I had to use an air hammer and sacrifice some spanner threads to get it loose. One of the lock rings even snapped, so I ended up staking that one.
The Stainless ones sound interesting. I'll have to check them out!
The other thing about coilovers... I find myself walking out and measuring 'fender to ground' once a month, popping the wheels off, and adjusting. If I had springs, I could tell myself, "Tough luck! That's where it's going to stay"

Last edited:
Reactions: MODEL+

View attachment 653570

Happy to help!
Danny
Hi- my first post had to be on this perfect stance 🤤 I just want to know if you bottom out a lot being this low

I scrape the sides going in and out of driveway sometimes. But that's the price you got to pay playing this game... ;)

Danny
im coming from an accord coupe with tein ss coilovers that bang all the time on these bumpy hawaiian streets so I’m hoping the mpp comfort non adjustables I ordered from model+ will give me some drop without the thump!
chuck

I've got a '21 M3P with the 20"x8.5" wheels. They come standard with 235/35R20 tires. The rolling diameter of a 275/30R20 is the same, and the all-season tires I want to run come in that size.

I'm currently on 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers, but can change that up.
My question is just if anyone has run these yet, and do they rub ever. I am aware a 275 tire is 10.8" wide on an 8.5" wide wheel, but the 235 (9.25") looks like it's stretched on it all the same.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Did you ever install the 275/30ZR20 tires. I have a 2022 M3P that will be delivered in 2 weeks and I am considering changing the tires to get rid of the stretched look?