Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

275/40/20 stock induction wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the LRMY have any issues with 275/40/20 tires rubbing on stock 20" induction wheels (20 inch Uberturbine wheel)? I would like to put a little more meat on the wheel, and use the Michelin AS Pilot tires for year round or maybe use them with dedicated winter tires of with 275/40/20 tires and still and pick up a new set of wheels and tires from TS sport for summer. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I don't think those will work all the way around. The performance model only 255 up front and 275 in the rear. Maybe someone has done it though so.

I don't know why you would ever want to run such a wide tire where there is going to be snow though. That is typically going the wrong direction for good traction in the winter. Of course your range is going to take a massive hit too.

Hopefully you'll get the look you are going for.

Sounds like you want more sidewall rather than a wider tread. It might be worth looking at 19" wheels and go with a higher aspect ratio such as 255/45/19 tires. This would typically reduce pinch flats and improve ride quality. Depending on the wheels/tires selected there could be significant weight savings that would result in quicker acceleration as well. It all depends on exactly what you are looking to do.

Reactions: marcodant
thank you for the response. Good advice. I don't really want wider for winter but I do want more rubber between the road and wheel.

Then go to a 19" or 18" wheel with the same overall diameter as the stock size wheels rather than using a 20" wheel. For example, a 235/55/18 tire has the same diameter as the stock 255/45/19 that comes on the Gemini wheels, but with much more sidewall than you have on a 20" wheel... a full inch more sidewall.

Keith

Will the LRMY have any issues with 275/40/20 tires rubbing on stock 20" induction wheels (20 inch Uberturbine wheel)? I would like to put a little more meat on the wheel, and use the Michelin AS Pilot tires for year round or maybe use them with dedicated winter tires of with 275/40/20 tires and still and pick up a new set of wheels and tires from TS sport for summer. Thanks guys
I Have Michelin Pilot Sport AS4's (275/40zr20) on all 4 corners on my 21 model Y. Tsportline TS5 20x10 rims. 5mm more offset than the Inductions. The tires fit perfectly and do not rub anywhere. This change has improved the handling of the car for the better, way better.
IMG_0939.jpeg

They look nice. Any impact to the range? By any chance have you done any acceleration runs (before/after) to see if an impact there?
Thank You, I did not do any acceleration runs before or after. Believe It or not I weighed these against the stock induction setup and both were between 59-60lbs. This is a much more sticky tire. I think that and the Aerodynamics of the induction over this more open wheel accounts for a slight increase in energy consumption.
The car handles and brakes much better with the Michelins.

Reactions: Daekwan
If they are heavier than the 20in stockers which I assume they will be with more tire then it should negatively impact acceleration and mileage, though the difference should be small.
Surprisingly, this setup was within 1lb of the stock induction wheel/tire.(I put them on a scale) It is slightly less efficient than stock, I think the tire compound and aerodynamics of the wheel accounts for the energy consumption.

Reactions: Daekwan
Surprisingly, this setup was within 1lb of the stock induction wheel/tire.(I put them on a scale) It is slightly less efficient than stock, I think the tire compound and aerodynamics of the wheel accounts for the energy consumption.
Very nice. Have you noticed less understeer? The staggered stock setup dials a lot of safe understeer? With your square setup it should move the handling closer to neutral I think.

I Have Michelin Pilot Sport AS4's (275/40zr20) on all 4 corners on my 21 model Y. Tsportline TS5 20x10 rims. 5mm more offset than the Inductions. The tires fit perfectly and do not rub anywhere. This change has improved the handling of the car for the better, way better.View attachment 680928
Any range loss with the 275's vs. factory 255's?

I am running 275/40/20 tires on my Model Y Performance also. Went with 20x10.5 ET35 square wheels with Continental DWS 06 tires. Car looks 100x better than stock, rides better, and I save 15lbs per corner also.
I did the same size.
275/40/20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4
Martian 20x9.5

Much smoother ride, from what I discern after the first day.

Attachments

• 20210903_194717.jpg
    20210903_194717.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 2,151
  • 20210904_153934.jpg
    20210904_153934.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 1,900
  • 20210904_150656.jpg
    20210904_150656.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 2,005