Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

277 vac Support. Does anybody have experience with it? Tesla can't help me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the reasons I selected the Tesla Model X for our business is that it is said to support 277 volt AC.
While there are Gen 2 HPWC's in the Online Tesla Store, they actually ship you a Gen 3.

Which Tesla EVSEs support 277v?

Does a 2020 Raven Tesla charge at 277?

Nobody at Tesla seems to know anymore. I'm not kidding. I can't get an answer from them.

277v is the standard lighting voltage for commercial and industrial facilities. It's based on 480v 3ph just like Superchargers are. They use 3 Tesla 277v AC-DC converters to build a SC. These are the same units found in Model S/X.

Should be able to plug into a 14-50 socket and get relatively quick charging from your 277. Onboard charger will determine how much current it can safely absorb. It should adjust itself and display your charging rate on display.

If you own the business, be sure to check out substantial Section 179 depreciation and deduction benefits.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm pretty sure Gen 1 and 2 HPWC's support it and 3 does not. All vehicles do. Enough destination chargers were installed in commercial buildings with 277V that it would be disastrous if they stopped supporting it in the cars (though early on, the Model 3 couldn't do it, and it was tacitly fixed in a software update).

Should be able to plug into a 14-50 socket and get relatively quick charging from your 277.
Hold up there, a 14-50 is not rated for 277V. You'd need a NEMA 7 series receptacle, typically.

@MXLRplus

277/480V is Level 3 Charging.

Earlier and current Tesla wall charge posts support up to 240V 3ph. The differences between V2 & V3 wall charge posts is connectivity and that they no longer provide amperage over 40A as Tesla no longer provides dual on-board chargers in any of their current models.

You can purchase any 3rd party Level 3 Charger and have it installed at your business to support your fleet operation needs. Note none will be as fast a Supercharging currently.

DM if you like a specific solution for your fleet operation needs.

#ChargeOn

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
@MXLRplus

277/480V is Level 3 Charging.

Earlier and current Tesla wall charge posts support up to 240V 3ph. The differences between V2 & V3 wall charge posts is connectivity and that they no longer provide amperage over 40A as Tesla no longer provides dual on-board chargers in any of their current models.

You can purchase any 3rd party Level 3 Charger and have it installed at your business to support your fleet operation needs. Note none will be as fast a Supercharging currently.

DM if you like a specific solution for your fleet operation needs.

#ChargeOn

It's just a 3 car system, and it has to be 277. I did get a NIB Gen2 to operate at 277v and I'm refilling my car "with sunshine" as we speak. My solar is 480 3ph.

If you consider that 240v is +/- 10%, 277 volts is only 10% higher than that.

Can the volt use 277 volts if the evse handles it?

"I think you'll find that this is actually what they mean when they say 220-240 volts AC.
The peak to peak voltages of a 240vac system are usually 330volts."

So basically it will very likely work, but you do risk loss of the EVSE (either being the first one to try it, or damage over time).

One comment on the above thread that is of interest - "Your second issue is more than likely there is no neutral wire for you to use. You can technically use the ground but talk about a safety issue! If the ground is ever broken between the light pole and the panel your light pole becomes live."

I'd agree that if that is your situation, you can't use ground as a neutral.

• Informative
So today I'm charging a 2020 Model X LR+ at maximum speed at 277 vac using a Gen2 Wall Charger bought from the online store (pulls down to 274-275v).
It caps the charging at 42 amps which is 12kW / 38 mi/hr.

Keep this in mind. You're not going to need bigger than #6 wire to support "48 amp" cars using 277.

• Informative
So today I'm charging a 2020 Model X LR+ at maximum speed at 277 vac using a Gen2 Wall Charger bought from the online store (pulls down to 274-275v).
It caps the charging at 42 amps which is 12kW / 38 mi/hr.

Keep this in mind. You're not going to need bigger than #6 wire to support "48 amp" cars using 277.
So the car's charger actually power limited. Shame as that's 11.5kWh vs the potential 13.3kWh you could be running at otherwise.

This is why we wanted an X with the 72a dual chargers.

So the car's charger actually power limited. Shame as that's 11.5kWh vs the potential 13.3kWh you could be running at otherwise.

This is why we wanted an X with the 72a dual chargers.

As I understood it, the original dual chargers could do (in europe at least) 3ph32amp @ 230V, which implies a power limit of ~22kW. In America even though it was 80A max, the same chargers were used underneath, so you could actually hit that limit on a 80 Amp 277V connection (example here:277V New HPWC Installed in Oro Valley, Arizona (North Tucson)). Note that car reads 79A. I couldn't find an example of a tesla charging at 240V at the full 32 amps 3ph readily to see if it can go higher (it might be able to because it is 3ph).

However the 72A is not a dual charger, and can only in europe take 24 amps 3 ph, which at ~230V means ~16.5kW Not sure the margin above it but you probably wouldn't see anything much higher than 17.2kW (assuming 240V * 24* 3).

i stumbled on this thread. My business has a 208v and 277v panels available side by side. I currently have a gen3 HPWC on the 208v panel with 60A breaker. That gives me 9.8kW at the car (voltage drop to about 204v distance from panel).

I would like to max out the capacity of the gen3 and get the full 11.5kW charge rate on my MXLR+. I've seen threads about using a gen2 HPWC on 277v to do this and also heard of buck and boost transformers that would increase my 208v to 240v, They are about $650.

Would really be nice if thee gen3 HPWC would work on 277v. Any suggestions?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
the gen3's arnt going to support 277vac. you'll want to trade it in for a gen 2 that is certified for 277vac to get more power. you could also us a 277vac j1772 charger and swap the cable from a gen 2 over to it.

A posting on one of these Tesla forums said that North American Superchargers actually consist of stacks of ordinary in-car chargers wired in wye in groups of three across the 277/480V supply. So if these really are the same chargers, a car's internal charger ought to be able to accept single-phase 277V.

Obviously I wouldn't rely on this hunch without confirming it with Tesla, but it does imply that it's possible.

I've been charging for over 7000 miles worth of 277v now. Works great with one exception.
I have a Solar Edge 480v 3ph inverter. If there is low solar output at our shop, and you turn the HPWC on to 42 amps, it will sometimes crash the inverter. I think it's due to an unbalanced load. So if this happens to you, first set the car to 24 amp. Wait a minute then ramp it up slowly to 42. During high solar production it's not an issue.