Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

28.2. Wipers Gone Wild!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hurricane4911

IT Guy From 1980-2013, Retired
Jul 29, 2021
Tampa
My Tesla now believes It's always raining when when Autopilot/Autosteer is engaged.

Voice Command...Nope
Manual via pop-up....Ain't happening

Windshield is squeaky clean. Just putting it out there to see if anyone else is enjoying unpaid beta testing
😎

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
Wipers gone wild is not a new thing. They've always been random... sometimes they work flawlessly and sometimes they go full blast for no reason. Ever since I've had my car, almost 3 years. I mostly leave them on auto but switch them off when they panic.

I've read reports, but after 1 yr of ownership, I'm seeing it for the first time. They'll get around to fixing it.

Have you used auto wipers in your normal driving, or are you experimenting them for the first time (forced) because autopilot sets it on auto (vision)?

Auto-wipers always been set to on. I've seen this pop on the 28.2 release in Europe.

Software was and always has been a black-hole where good intentions go to die.

I had it yesterday for 30 minutes have had it on and olf for 18 months since new.

What was new I think for me yesterday was that in autopilot they are forced to auto, I can't recall it being like this previously? I either had to drive manually or have cruise on with wipers busy in the sunshine, laughable really.

My wipers went crazy the other day. It didn't cross my mind that it could be related to Cruise Control or Auto-Steer. I was on the freeway and probably using at least one of those features. Yes, I recall touching the right stalk, the wipers coming on, and swearing to my boyfriend that I didn't do it, because the wipers are controlled by the left stalk! Adding to what others said: I've always kept my wipers on Auto. When this started I tried to turn them Off, and the Off button wouldn't register.

This happened to me today. I assumed I had no idea what i was doing as I’ve only driven the Tesla 100 miles so far. Tried to double tap down on the right stalk to initiate autopilot and the wipers suddenly went on. Had no idea how to turn them off except with voice control. Tried it again thinking this was weird and same effect.

In my confusion, I then tried pressing the right stalk button which is a definite no no. Felt the emergency parking brake kick in until I quickly released it.

What is the deal with this? I thought only the left stalk controlled the wipers and lights.

I still have this problem on 40.4.1 with small amounts of rain. Seems that if I touch the climate control (temp) it immediately ceases. I haven’t been able to truly test this out though, but the last two times it has stopped when I do that.

I have always had auto activated.

In trying to turn off this crazy wiper action, I fumbled about and hit the right stalk parking button while going 30 miles/hr and heard a grinding noise - prob the parking brake trying to engage.

Did that cause any damage? I’m surprised that Tesla would allow it to engage at speed. It’s so easy to accidentally hit that button while driving.