TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

28,578 produced and 18,440 delivered in Q2

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by vigge50, Jul 2, 2018.

1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

2. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Still waiting to hear about the tax credit info though right?

3. JmpLemur

JmpLemur Member

Yes, but speculation is abounding right now.

Conspiracy theory:
    I really think this blitz to get everyone to order before July 1st for free data connectivity was actually to get everyone to put money down so when the 200k announcement goes out they are locked in.

• Informative x 1
  4. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

Or to make their balance sheet look better for when they report in August.

5. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

Hopefully the 200k is hit in July. Otherwise, I can see this becoming a PR nightmare for Tesla since many who ordered in late June did so b/c they feared missing out on the $7500 tax credit after the delivery estimates changed to 3-5 months. The free connectivity is far less significant than the tax credit.

6. Mrr82

Mrr82 Member

What do you mean locked in? The only way to lock in the credit is to physically get the car.

7. JmpLemur

JmpLemur Member

#7 JmpLemur, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    The 3.5k you put down when you configure is non-refundable. So they make that off of you tax credit or not. They never guaranteed that you would get the full credit on delivery if you ordered before July 1, only that you would receive free data.

They have potentially enough configurations (with full deposit) for the rest of the year. They are insulated somewhat if 200k was actually hit in Q2. My conspiracy theory is this was the plan from the get-go.

8. available

available New Member

The fact that they haven't reported the total us deliveries along with the q2 numbers makes me think you're right. Why wait if you are going to make customers and investors happy?

9. BenR

BenR Member

So that you don't make members of Congress unhappy would be my first guess. ;)

Also, unless they had confirmation of enough deliveries today accepted and fully funded, they technically haven't hit it yet.