Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

28,578 produced and 18,440 delivered in Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but speculation is abounding right now.

Conspiracy theory:
I really think this blitz to get everyone to order before July 1st for free data connectivity was actually to get everyone to put money down so when the 200k announcement goes out they are locked in.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

Conspiracy theory:
I really think this blitz to get everyone to order before July 1st for free data connectivity was actually to get everyone to put money down so when the 200k announcement goes out they are locked in.

Hopefully the 200k is hit in July. Otherwise, I can see this becoming a PR nightmare for Tesla since many who ordered in late June did so b/c they feared missing out on the $7500 tax credit after the delivery estimates changed to 3-5 months. The free connectivity is far less significant than the tax credit.

Conspiracy theory:

What do you mean locked in? The only way to lock in the credit is to physically get the car.

What do you mean locked in? The only way to lock in the credit is to physically get the car.

The 3.5k you put down when you configure is non-refundable. So they make that off of you tax credit or not. They never guaranteed that you would get the full credit on delivery if you ordered before July 1, only that you would receive free data.

They have potentially enough configurations (with full deposit) for the rest of the year. They are insulated somewhat if 200k was actually hit in Q2. My conspiracy theory is this was the plan from the get-go.

Last edited by a moderator: