Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

28% is too bright at night - adjustment resets on autopilot engagement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
I find 28% screen brightness too bright at night. I've turned it down both with auto brightness on and auto brightness off. As soon as I engage autopilot, the screen switches back to auto and creeps right back up to 28%. I have FSD beta, so I'm not sure if all cars so that or just the beta. It is annoying though.

Does this happen to everyone? Anyone find a workaround?

I don't have FSD but I do find the display too bright at night - even in the day.... I use voice command and say "Set screen display to 8%." I find that 7~8% is just about right for me. I've used the slider a few times, but it's easier to use voice commands.

Have you tried using a screen protector? I installed one from Abstract Ocean because I was tired of cleaning the fingerprints on the screen and I chose the matte version to slightly reduce the brightness and help with glare. No idea if that is sufficient for your needs, but it does help.

Have you tried using a screen protector? I installed one from Abstract Ocean because I was tired of cleaning the fingerprints on the screen and I chose the matte version to slightly reduce the brightness and help with glare. No idea if that is sufficient for your needs, but it does help.
I have the AO matte screen protector. It's great, but doesn't help with the bright screen.

I'll try the voice command option, but I'd be surprised if it acted any differently. I have no issue setting the screen brightness. The issue is that, at night, it returns to "Auto" and 28% brightness every time the AP is engaged.