Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

285s on 20"x10.0" rear wheels a dumb idea?

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
275s are recommended.

I'm thinking of 285s anyway.

Efficiency.. Worse
Snow.. Worse
Hydroplaning.. Worse
Noise.. Worse

I guess Ive answered my own question

Transmitting power to the road.. Better
Aesthetics.. Better

Possible effect on the chronic problem of excessive wear on rear inside edges due to non adjustable camber.. Better due to slightly more rounded section profile? Worse due to just being physically wider at the corners? Unknown?

Anyone who has tried it? Can you share real world results?

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
The car really isn't traction limited in back unless, I suppose, you have a Performance.

As for fitments themselves...285's are commonly fitted on 9.5" wide wheels by OEM's, so 10" rim is plenty of support for the tire. Our E63 AMG has 285/30-19's on 19x9.5's, for instance, as the factory size.

Wear wise, you're just going to wear a slightly heavier, more expensive tire, slightly slower, because assuming you use a 285/45-20, it'll be marginally taller, and so each tread block will hit the road slightly less frequently, won't get as hot for a given load, etc. (look at revs per mile spec for the different sizes to see what I mean).

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvey Danger

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
What are you trying to accomplish? Or, is this just a thought exercise?
Mostly an opportunity to do something sporty-er than stock. It doesn't need to actually *be* very sporty since I don't take it to the track, but I just felt like it would be fun to try. Aesthetics mostly.

I'm mostly asking if it's dumb because everything is a trade off and I want to know if I'm increasing something bad faster than I'm increasing something good. If, say, hydroplaning becomes risky with a too-wide tire, then at some point that matters more than a cool "stance". If that doesn't happen until 305s then I could consider 295s. I just have no experience once you're that far 'outside the envelope'..

And yes at this point it's just a thought exercise now that I've already ordered the tires: because 285's weren't available I'm going with 275s.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
@Harvey Danger so, if it's just for looks I would add a set of spacers front and rear.

Wider tires one the same size wheel:
- aren't going to look much different unless you get down behind the car.
- may give you a little more protection for the face of the wheel, but that's debatable
- if they are too wide, will lose sidewall support

Generally, you will lose efficiency. How much? That's up for debate. Personally, running wide tires on the street doesn't make sense to me. If this were a track car, that'd be an entirely different story.

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
Ok this is helpful, thanks all.

Hopefully won't need spacers with ET40 (this is T-Sportline TSS we're talking about), I trust it will fill up the rear wheel well pretty flush as-is.

And apologies for somehow posting this is the "Interior and Exterior" sub forum.

Now that I'm actually reading the description of the intended uses of the "Driving Dynamics" subforum I see that's clearly where you put tire questions:

Model X: Driving Dynamics​

performance, drivetrain, traction/stability control, brakes, suspension, tires, safety

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC