Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

285's or 295's for MYP at front and back/square set up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone has 285's or 295's on 19 or 20" wheels for MYP at front and back/square set up? We all know that, stock set up on MYP with 255 35 21 Front, 275 35 21 rear, overall diameter will be 712mm at front and 726mm for rear tires. Reading through multiple threads, following are my observations that has worked without any fitment issues.

Have seen many 255's and 265's on various wheels: No fitment issues
Have seen Square set up with 275 40 20 - Overall diameter 728 mm , +35 offset: No fitment issues
Have seen square set up with 295 30 21 - Overall diameter 710 mm (+42 front, +37 rear offset. 21 wheel not 20): No fitment issues

While overall diameter is NOT the only aspect to consider for fitment/rubbing issues, anyone has tried these set ups at front and back?
Square set up with 285 35 20 - Overall diameter 708 mm, Square set up with 295 35 20 - Overall diameter 715 mm. I am leaning towards a 20" wheels given the selection and price options on those compared to 21's. My priority will be to get widest tires that can fit on MYP without fitment issues and impacting overall handling.

Appreciate if you could let me know your suggestions

Thanks. Good to know that 285 35's can be used but its on a MPP modified Y with coil overs etc.

Trying to see if 285's can go on a stock MYP. Given that 285 40 20 will be 29" in overall diameter, waiting to hear back from folks who may have considered it on stock MYPs

Thanks. Good to know that 285 35's can be used but its on a MPP modified Y with coil overs etc.

Trying to see if 285's can go on a stock MYP. Given that 285 40 20 will be 29" in overall diameter, waiting to hear back from folks who may have considered it on stock MYPs
I’m also wondering the same about having a square setup on the MYP. I was thinking of doing either a 285/35/21 on the uberturbines or even a 295/35/21 setup if it will fit in the front. I’ve read that 295/35 will fit with no issues in the rear. However I’m not even sure if the front Uberturbine will be able to fit either a 285 or 295 width since the wheel is 9.5” vs 10.5” in the rear. I posted in the fb model Y group and haven’t gotten a response so I’m guessing it either hasn’t been done or can’t be done.

I’m also wondering the same about having a square setup on the MYP. I was thinking of doing either a 285/35/21 on the uberturbines or even a 295/35/21 setup if it will fit in the front. I’ve read that 295/35 will fit with no issues in the rear. However I’m not even sure if the front Uberturbine will be able to fit either a 285 or 295 width since the wheel is 9.5” vs 10.5” in the rear. I posted in the fb model Y group and haven’t gotten a response so I’m guessing it either hasn’t been done or can’t be done.
Fronts are bit more delicate since you don’t want any rubbing when the wheel is turned. I have a friend with a MYP who has 275/35/21 in the front and it rubs when making parking lot maneuvers, nothing major tho.

For my MYP, I will be doing 265/40/21 and 285/40/21. I want a bit more sidewall to fill in the wheel gap, increase comfort and hopefully increase durability against potholes.

Most people would say that a 275 or a 285 is simply too squeezed on a 9.5 so a 295 is out of the question. The 275 is borderline and some fitment guides will suggest that that's tenable but you're pushing it and the aesthetic is not great. 285 or 295 would fit on the 10.5 rears however.

Fronts are bit more delicate since you don’t want any rubbing when the wheel is turned. I have a friend with a MYP who has 275/35/21 in the front and it rubs when making parking lot maneuvers, nothing major tho.

For my MYP, I will be doing 265/40/21 and 285/40/21. I want a bit more sidewall to fill in the wheel gap, increase comfort and hopefully increase durability against potholes.
How much will the taller sidewalk affect the range?

285/35 or 285/40 opens up a lot more options. 285/35 nets a ton of options with Pilot Sport cups even.
Have seen folks going with 275 40 20 square set up on stock MYP's without any fitment issues ( on a wider wheel size 105").
Between 275 40 20 and 285 40 20, the difference in overall diameter is 28.7 inches Vs 29 inches. Rear shouldn't be a problem but don't know about front fitment for MYP

Have seen folks going with 275 40 20 square set up on stock MYP's without any fitment issues ( on a wider wheel size 105").
Between 275 40 20 and 285 40 20, the difference in overall diameter is 28.7 inches Vs 29 inches. Rear shouldn't be a problem but don't know about front fitment for MYP
It should be within margin of error and in the worse case there is room for a 3mm-5mm wheel spacer. I mean... crosses fingers type situation but I feels that its doable.

It should be within margin of error and in the worse case there is room for a 3mm-5mm wheel spacer. I mean... crosses fingers type situation but I feels that its doable.

Thanks @thesmokingman. I think those 275 45 19's with 28.7" overall diameter with 10.8" width are on a Model Y not MYP. Also that Y is lifted by 10mm.

As I mentioned before, we know that there are no fitment issues with 275 40 20's for front and back on MYP (will be 28.7" overall diameter with 10.8" width)
Question is about 285 40 20 which will be 29" overall diameter 11.2" in tire width?

Thanks @thesmokingman. I think those 275 45 19's with 28.7" overall diameter with 10.8" width are on a Model Y not MYP. Also that Y is lifted by 10mm.

As I mentioned before, we know that there are no fitment issues with 275 40 20's for front and back on MYP (will be 28.7" overall diameter with 10.8" width)
Question is about 285 40 20 which will be 29" overall diameter 11.2" in tire width?
The vehicle height isn't really the limiting factor. It's the spindle/upright... if you look at the the double a-arms in the front, you'll see the upright curves over the tire. That's is the limit and not necessarily the wheel opening.

You mean, issue could be that tires rubbing the double A arms due to the width?
No, the upper a-arm is above the tire and is connected by an upright. It's the height that can become an issue but at 285/35~40 it doesn't look to be an issue.

In the pic below, see how the upright curves up and inward, that curvature makes room for the rim/tire. There are other pics on the forum of users running similar tires to those we're discussing here with decent clearance still. And as I wrote earlier in the worse case you can slap a 10-15 buck slim spacer 3mm-5mm on with ease to rectify any potential rubbing. Others have posted their pics, I just can't remember which threads they're right now to refer to.

IMG_7941.jpg

Oh nvm, found one. This one is running 275/45/19 which is a smidge smaller than 285/40/20.

20211030_175409-jpg.727609

Last edited:
Reactions: aparan
No, the upper a-arm is above the tire and is connected by an upright. It's the height that can become an issue but at 285/35~40 it doesn't look to be an issue.

In the pic below, see how the upright curves up and inward, that curvature makes room for the rim/tire. There are other pics on the forum of users running similar tires to those we're discussing here with decent clearance still. And as I wrote earlier in the worse case you can slap a 10-15 buck slim spacer 3mm-5mm on with ease to rectify any potential rubbing. Others have posted their pics, I just can't remember which threads they're right now to refer to.

IMG_7941.jpg

Oh nvm, found one. This one is running 275/45/19 which is a smidge smaller than 285/40/20.

20211030_175409-jpg.727609

I agree that upright connecting the upper A-arms curves inside making room for tire/rim and the height can become an issue.
At the same time, was wondering is there enough clearance to the upright from a wider tire at front on MYP? In this case, 285 tires in width.

I agree that upright connecting the upper A-arms curves inside making room for tire/rim and the height can become an issue.
At the same time, was wondering is there enough clearance to the upright from a wider tire at front on MYP? In this case, 285 tires in width.
As I wrote multiple times, that's not an issue. The offset if it becomes a problem is easily fixed with a slim spacer. You can slap on a ten buck 5mm spacer from amazon w/o needing new studs. That makes it a very easy adjustment. Now what we cannot adjust or fix is that upright knuckle!

Btw, you may not know this but ppl like to throw on 15mm spacers to get that "look" for whatever reason. There's a handful of threads on it. However 15mm spacers require some more thought and studs or clearance for studs etc etc. The 3mm-5mm spacer is no-brainer add-on in contrast.

As I wrote multiple times, that's not an issue. The offset if it becomes a problem is easily fixed with a slim spacer. You can slap on a ten buck 5mm spacer from amazon w/o needing new studs. That makes it a very easy adjustment. Now what we cannot adjust or fix is that upright knuckle!
Btw, you may not know this but ppl like to throw on 15mm spacers to get that "look" for whatever reason. There's a handful of threads on it. However 15mm spacers require some more thought and studs or clearance for studs etc etc. The 3mm-5mm spacer is no-brainer add-on in contrast.
Just for discussion purposes, what point do you think the width of the tires become an issue to rub the upright knuckle if the overall height stays around 29 inches?

I think one could just measure the clearance from whatever tire is mounted and then we could extrapolate how much room/latiutude there is left?
What I meant to ask and figure out was, at some point due to overall width of tire/wheels, it is going to rub the upright?
For example, I assume that 305 35 20 will have issues for MYP front, though the overall height of this set up is going to be less than 29 inches

Last edited: