Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

294 miles on 100% charge - LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for almost 3 months. I've taken a few trips and charged it to 100% a couple of times. It will only show 294 miles when charged to 100%. Does it sound like there is a problem, or is the display just not super accurate? I was hoping it would show 315 or 316, even though I know I won't actually get that many miles in real world driving.

No problem,,,,,,,,its just an estimate. Varies depending on weather, speed, mountains, road surface, etc. We get this question from new owners every other day.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure I understand how the weather, speed, terrain would affect the rating. It's being charged in my garage at overnight, and if I set it to charge 100%, it will only charge to 298 miles. At that point t does not know what the terrain, speed, or weather will be (since it's inside my garage charging). So just to be clear, I'm not saying I can only drive 298 miles on a full charge, I'm saying the car only charges to 298 miles on a full 100% charge. Hopefully that makes sense.

Occasionally things will recalibrate if you draw down the battery to like 20% or maybe even 10% and then charge all the way back up (ideally in one session on a level 2). You might have to do that more than once... but more than two or three times without seeing any change means you probably won’t by doing that.

The next time you charge to 95% try allowing the car to go into a deep sleep over night. You need to have everything off that runs in the background like 3rd party App’s, Sentry mode, Over heat protection etc. this will allow the batteries to go into their balancing process. This is what I started to do on my model 3 and so far I’m back to 233 miles from my maxed 240 mile pack (SR+) You should still be seeing 308 - 310 miles at 100% now. Will look for the lengthy post on how to regain these numbers back by allowing the battery to re-balance.

How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

Fred

Interesting occurrence, I have set my daily charge to 50% for weeks now (I operate my Y as my DD between low 20% and the 50% max SOC I set, the slider has been FIXED and UNTOUCHED for weeks now), in the past when my car has completed charging I have gotten the same DISTANCE reading of 156 miles or 312 miles from a 100% charge.

Yesterday I ran some errands and drew the battery down to 16% and charged it back up to 50% and when I checked my car showed my DISTANCE as 160 miles or 320 miles from a 100% charge. I know these are just numbers and don't mean much, but I found it interesting given all the "RANGE" posts new owners submit almost daily.

Interesting occurrence, I have set my daily charge to 50% for weeks now (I operate my Y as my DD between low 20% and the 50% max SOC I set, the slider has been FIXED and UNTOUCHED for weeks now), in the past when my car has completed charging I have gotten the same DISTANCE reading of 156 miles or 312 miles from a 100% charge.

Yesterday I ran some errands and drew the battery down to 16% and charged it back up to 50% and when I checked my car showed my DISTANCE as 160 miles or 320 miles from a 100% charge. I know these are just numbers and don't mean much, but I found it interesting given all the "RANGE" posts new owners submit almost daily.
Very good stuff, possibly better battery balancing at 50.%

Fred

20200915_204809.jpg
Mine shows 273 at 90% (AWD, 19"), 4% "loss" since new 3400 miles ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
We're getting ready to leave shortly for a long trip, over 500miles so I decided to charge my wife's new Model Y all the way up. Here's where we stand with our LR that we received 4 June. Not upset, my Model 3 SR+ gets less range and has still been a great car. The Y gets a daily charge to 85% and drives at least 60miles round trip M-F (all highway, at least75mph) so I don't think 305 Wh/mi is too bad for Las Vegas heat! Hopefully it gets better as we come into these cooler months but good tint helps with the HVAC consumption.

I included the TelsaFi Battery Beta thing, it's not really enough info. Also the Fleet is all brand new vehicles so that line is going to be steady for a good while. Just wanted to make sure no one freaks out about Model Y battery levels...

Attachments

• IMG_2392.png
    IMG_2392.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
  • FusionCharts.png
    FusionCharts.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2390.png
    IMG_2390.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 171

Interesting...I had exactly the same experience!

Both my Model 3 and Model X charged almost exactly to the EPA stated range when I first got them. And only a few miles below that a year later with 10K miles. My Model X charges to 326 but they added some range and never stated what the new range should be. But my guess is around 330. It charged to like 322 before that update.

OP being 20 miles below is kind of a lot. That’s 6%. I’m at a little over 1% after 10k miles.

I'm surprised at your 305 wh/mi lifetime. I suppose my commute is slower than yours. Mine is mix of 55, 65, and 70 MPH roads, with more 55 than the higher speeds.
View attachment 589122

So this is my wife’s car and I’m just guessing at her speed but the stretch of highway is 75mph and you’ve got to do at least 80mph to not get run over.

We just did a long weekend trip, Vegas to Moab (Arches/Cayonlands). We took the southern route to Monticello, Utah where we rented a cabin and drove up to Moab for the parks. The route home to Vegas was the Northern route which is more 4lane highway.

Here’s the stats. First long trip, not bad, much nicer to have the bigger battery than my SR+ 3. I also snagged a picture of the supposed battery degradation via the A Better Route Planner app.

Attachments

• ABB82A52-45C4-4666-9AF8-1173DCBB6AF2.jpeg
    ABB82A52-45C4-4666-9AF8-1173DCBB6AF2.jpeg
    816.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 66CA6A34-174D-4799-82BE-C3CFE257D4FE.jpeg
    66CA6A34-174D-4799-82BE-C3CFE257D4FE.jpeg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 4C09FAFE-48DE-4CB1-9FC6-7095A009CDE4.jpeg
    4C09FAFE-48DE-4CB1-9FC6-7095A009CDE4.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 159
  • AB218731-37BA-47DB-9A29-80CBFCEE7870.png
    AB218731-37BA-47DB-9A29-80CBFCEE7870.png
    761.4 KB · Views: 160
So this is my wife’s car and I’m just guessing at her speed but the stretch of highway is 75mph and you’ve got to do at least 80mph to not get run over.

We just did a long weekend trip, Vegas to Moab (Arches/Cayonlands). We took the southern route to Monticello, Utah where we rented a cabin and drove up to Moab for the parks. The route home to Vegas was the Northern route which is more 4lane highway.

Here’s the stats. First long trip, not bad, much nicer to have the bigger battery than my SR+ 3. I also snagged a picture of the supposed battery degradation via the A Better Route Planner app.
Great stats, thanks for posting.

Fred