Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

294 miles on 100% charge - LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is my wife’s car and I’m just guessing at her speed but the stretch of highway is 75mph and you’ve got to do at least 80mph to not get run over.

We just did a long weekend trip, Vegas to Moab (Arches/Cayonlands). We took the southern route to Monticello, Utah where we rented a cabin and drove up to Moab for the parks. The route home to Vegas was the Northern route which is more 4lane highway.

Here’s the stats. First long trip, not bad, much nicer to have the bigger battery than my SR+ 3. I also snagged a picture of the supposed battery degradation via the A Better Route Planner app.

whats is the app name in the 3rd photo?

I've usually charged to about 80% when commuting, but I've always been able to charge my Model 3 (LR) to ~315 @100% before long trips; I even got it up to 321 once. I'm taking a long trip tomorrow, but today it would only charge to 298. This is the first long trip I've taken since Tesla replaced my 12v battery (it failed) and the body control module (recalled) 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing it has to have something to do with that, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that kind of change.

I've usually charged to about 80% when commuting, but I've always been able to charge my Model 3 (LR) to ~315 @100% before long trips; I even got it up to 321 once. I'm taking a long trip tomorrow, but today it would only charge to 298. This is the first long trip I've taken since Tesla replaced my 12v battery (it failed) and the body control module (recalled) 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing it has to have something to do with that, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that kind of change.
The 12V battery and body control module should have nothing to do with how your BMS is estimating your battery capacity/range. The 298 miles is just an estimate and there are plenty of threads here that show how inaccurate it is. Your 298 might go back up to 305 on your next charge for example. Part of it might be actual battery degradation which is expected to be about 5% in the first year.

To make you feel better, my MYLR was showing a full charge of 276 last week. This week it is showing 286. Tesla said it was still “normal”.

You may have some battery degradation but that is normal, more than likely the BMS calculation can be improved by letting the car 'deep sleep' at different states of charge.

Checkout this thread for details: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity