TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

295 Wh/mi in first 600 miles - normal?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Horizonjob, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

I got my LR AWD M3 with 19” sport wheels the beginning of last month. I’ve put on only 600 miles so far, and that’s been with a 40mi roundtrip commute to/from work. Half the commute is on residential streets and half on a highway where I’m usually doing 75. I admit I have a lead foot and am having a great time “testing” the acceleration. I’m averaging 295 Wh/mi for these first 600 miles and for little milk runs to the grocery store 10 minutes away, I’ve hit as high as 340 Wh/mi.

Recognizing that I will settle in for a more normal drive with only occasional high speed adventures in acceleration, should I be concerned enough to contact the local service center? Note that when the car is parked at my house with WiFi, I tend to lose only about 2-3 miles per day. It’s the sprints to work and errands that seem to be draining the batteries. Thanks.

• Funny x 1
  2. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Normal... completely, utterly normal. You will likely be around that Wh/Mi till March or so.

Have you read teslas official statements about range, which are linked in a sticky thread at the top of this section?

Tesla Official Statement on Range

3. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

Completely normal when you're taking lots of short strolls. Especially depending on weather.

I don't see rated range (241 Wh/mi) unless I go 50+ miles (straight) it's above 55F out, and I'm doing <= 68mph.

That's on with AWD and 18".

Think lifetime Wh/mi for me in Ohio is ~285

• Informative x 1
  4. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

Thanks. I am in Arizona, so the heat hasn’t been on until the recent cold spell. Before that - the first few three hundred miles - I was at 245 Wh/mi.

5. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Its not just the heater. Wind, colder battery and it doesnt have to be below freezing for the battery to be "cold" etc.

6. Hello7

Hello7 Member

I drove autopilot on M3P with 20" wheels at 75mph at 10 degrees Celsius and I am using 420 wh per mile. I have to pootle around at 40mph to hit 250 an per mile.

I don't use motorways a great deal but if I did I feel a Tesla might not suit my 85 to 90 driving habits. I came from a modified Audi S8 with 700 horses and it did roughly the same mpg between 70 and 90. Performance is about the same at 2.9 0 -60 so not a bad trade in.

Tesla takes some getting used to but overall I did it for air quality in cities. If the HellCat produced fluffy puppies for emissions I would be driving that though!!!