Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

298 miles is my new 100% (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well if it makes you feel any better, here is mine: :(
battery.PNG

I charged to 100% for the first time since the 2019.5.15 update and got to 316 miles. Kinda disappointed because I wanted to reach that 325 miles that was announced. I got my Model 3 Long Range RWD in August and currently at about 11,300 miles driven. Could it be battery degradation already?
What was the outside temperature when you charged? I’ve found that if the battery is cold, like 30-35 degrees F outside while charging, it will finish charging showing a lower indicated range (about 3-5% lower) than it should. When outside temp is around 60 or higher, range is spot on. I live in NJ. LR RWD.

I have only been using TeslaFi the last 2000 miles or so. LR RWD with 21k miles in less than 11 months. Battery report varies from 298-302. 5.15 didn't show any change for me either. I leave display on % for one reason not to sweat these small changes.

I think temperature has a lot to do with it though and we'll see if it pops back up in summer. Either way I'm not concerned, still very low degradation for the amount of driving and 100% charges I've done.

It's simply battery degradation. Degradation supposedly happens fastest when the battery pack is new. The older the pack, the slower the degradation rate. Switch your display to show battery % instead of miles and forget about it. Here's my degradation after 43,000 miles and 16 months:

Battery Degradation.png

Last edited:
It's simply battery degradation. Degradation supposedly happens fastest when the battery pack is new. The older the pack, the slower the degradation rate. Switch your display to show battery % instead of miles and forget about it. Here's my degradation after 43,000 miles and 16 months:

View attachment 388114
I already run %
But you have lost 3% after 40,000 miles. I have lost 5% after 11,000

I suspect something's not right with the update. I did a trip charge on the 10th, it was at 309 of 310 with 10 minutes remaining when I had to leave. After installing 2019.5.15 my 90% didn't go up as much as expected, so I did another trip charge which yielded 316 instead of the expected 323-324.

4BA9DA96-B0F0-4BB8-AD07-3B1653319AAF.jpeg A382C926-7ED0-4CC8-9CF2-E15AFCD6C8EC.jpeg

Did my first full charge last night, wife and I are taking a mini trip to Santa Barbara from Orange County.

Interestingly enough, charging “finished” at 305 at 4am. Then I just woke up, started charging again cause I assume I have 310 max range. Well, it’s slowly creeping up 1 mile to 310 every 1/2 hr. I’m at 308 now. But it is telling me it’s complete.

3p+ 1700 miles. I am guessing it will get up to 310 soon. Using 30amp plug.

Anyone seen this before?

report4.png

Well, after a several deep discharges (<=5%), I am almost back to 310. I learned that it takes more than one deep discharge to 'reset' the BMS algorithm that estimates capacity and that discharges down to 5% are much more effective at this than discharges down to ~20% (which I tried first). In any case, I'm more convinced that this is just variation in the algorithm rather than any real physical degradation of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: TheDom and hoang51