Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

299km at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note the temperatures have been dropping. Your range will suffer... and further suffering is just about to begin ;)

upload_2019-10-1_13-2-22.png

I did myself an ENORMOUS personal favour. I changed my battery graphic from ‘DISTANCE’ to ‘ENERGY’.

The result? Just like a gas gauge of the past. Now 50% is always 50%. 80% is always 80%. Trip energy graph keeps me informed of the rest.

Completely eliminated any worry over absolutely normal and expected, minor battery degradation. Try it for a few days.

View attachment 460106

Smart play.

For everyone talking about what they "get" at a certain % or extrapolate to 100% please stop. The mileage shown is completely irrelevant.

Remaining KM's are based on State of Charge multiplied by a value that we dont know to produce some number. Because we don't know the value of Kwh/km it is never going to be apples to apples.

The actual range of the vehicle could be +-100km to what is reported depending on driving conditions

So the best play is to switch to % and view it like a fuel gauge and not worry about degradation

If you want to capture some form of meaningful data to track degradation monitor your KMs, kwh, temperature, speed driven.... plot it into a matrix and compare over a large timeframe.

297 @ 80% here. 3.5 months with 6500km. Charge two or three times weekly to 80 or 90% using my free supercharge credit.
Pretty much the same for me (300@80) at 4 months/4000km and a mix of L1/L2 charging 5X per week.

I think the takeaway from this is at this point just drive your car because there is nothing to be done at the moment. Other similar cars are getting similar observations and this is a black box calculation based on unknown battery sensors and the outcome will either be:

1) nothing because it’s just low precision sensor readings varying up and down a bit because that’s what low precision sensors do. (And maybe a low precision sensor is suitable considering it’s long term trending that is important in this case) and/or;

2) new car levelled out to 300@80 after a break in period and stays there for a while- nothing you can do because that’s within the battery warranty spec.

Or,

3) 2-8 years from now you have significant, noticeable and trending degradation and Tesla replaces your battery.

Either way don’t worry about this for a couple years AT LEAST. On my Nissan Leaf the battery sensors gave an output (Hx and SOH) on the obd port I could monitor and they varied up and down +/- 5% over the course of months. Over the course of years they did TREND down but not much, like I lost about 5% over 2.5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So, i opened a service appt and got the following response:

Good morning Chetan, this is the KW Tesla Service team. We have performed tests remotely on your vehicle and the High Voltage battery, and found no issues with them. The range you are seeing is normal as the range of the vehicle can be affected by many factors. Please read our support page on Range. Range . Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Yes, so what is the % of battery degradation right now?

Hi Chetan, we don't have a specific test for degradation, but based on your car the degradation is extremely minimal.

If they say minimial, why dont they state the percentage?

Last edited:
The hottest October 1st I remember here )

48828128467_501876a347_c.jpg

Yeah, yesterday was gross. The volleyball gym was so humid that the balls were moist by just flying through the air. Good for our EVs though :)

Use the car guys, don't worry too much about the battery unless you lose a good 10% in a week in total capacity. The "estimate" range will go up and down in a downward trend slowly the more you drive. It is expected - go on a road trip or two and Supercharge. I find SC sessions allow the BMS to properly balance the cells with high voltage/current in a short time.

Reactions: Kappelan
I am still trying to understand is guess-o-meter works in some way for Tesla as well?

Let's say I charged my Volt one day and it shows me the EV range of 85 km. I drive supper efficient and made 90 km next time full charge will show 90 or 95 km of range. So I continue to drive efficient and another day I made 110 km on the charge so next time the car will show me about 100 km of the range at the full charge.

But it is not the case with Tesla, right?

I am still trying to understand is guess-o-meter works in some way for Tesla as well?

Let's say I charged my Volt one day and it shows me the EV range of 85 km. I drive supper efficient and made 90 km next time full charge will show 90 or 95 km of range. So I continue to drive efficient and another day I made 110 km on the charge so next time the car will show me about 100 km of the range at the full charge.

But it is not the case with Tesla, right?

AFAIK the Tesla computer algorithm references 150wh/km @ 100kph as the baseline. Although with Teslafi data, it's more like 135Wh/km at 100%~ish efficiency. Maybe the 150Wh/km accounts for electronics used by the computers/cabin temperature controlwhile Teslafi only tracks kW used to drive X kms.

So at any point, it is calculating your range based on 150Wh/km @ 100kph. If your drive happens to be more efficient, you'll end up getting more range while the battery still reports X kWh left in the pack / 150Wh/km @ 100kph.

The trip computer will warn you to stay below X km/h to reach your destination (see link) Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

So if the battery meter shows 200kms range means you have ~200km range if it was driven at 150wh/km @ 100kph efficiency. The temperature, topography, and your cabin energy use affects your Wh/km > This is why range is reduced significantly reduced in the winter months as a lot more energy is used to warm both the battery pack and your cabin.

In the end, the answer is it all depends on a bunch of variables and the guess-o-meter is giving you the baseline of 150Wh/km @100kph.

• Informative
Reactions: Kappelan