Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

299km at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was that post V10? Since the upgrade, my mileage at 80% has consistently dropped to 304. I charged to 90% last night and I'm at 335. Used to get 341 pre-V10. Could just be a coincidence and I'm finally seeing battery degradation.

There should be some degradation as expected as well as the temperatures have consistently dropped. The battery pack will report less range with cooler temperatures. If there's enough in the pack to cover your commute and then some, don't worry about and drive. Did you ever worry about your gas tank getting that full reported "estimated" 600kms? No... it's no different here.

There should be some degradation as expected as well as the temperatures have consistently dropped. The battery pack will report less range with cooler temperatures. If there's enough in the pack to cover your commute and then some, don't worry about and drive. Did you ever worry about your gas tank getting that full reported "estimated" 600kms? No... it's no different here.

Mine reported exactly stated range all winter last winter and then went down 9% this summer from June to August. It has been increasing the past few weeks. It's only 5.5 or 6% down now.

Don't get me wrong - I don't worry about it at all. Just interesting - and using it for comparison. Too many variables to consider to worry about it. 2 months in and I've never had to charge anywhere but home. Knowing I always have a "full tank" in the morning is great. Never have to worry about getting into the car and realizing I didn't fill up the day before and now I have to rush to the gas station. It's a whole different experience.

tesla should warn people about the degradation

sure ICE cars lose marginal amounts of HP over time, but HP doesn't make your car incapable of reaching its destination as you had planned it to.

My P90D was originally 429 kms of 100% range when brand new. After 2 years and 42,000 kms it was down to 410 kms of range. Now at 4 years and 88,000 kms it sits at 398 kms of range at 100%. I've seen 31 of my precious 429 kms disappear, which is 7.2% in 4 years.

It's 'normal' however it doesn't make it right.

Reactions: bijan
tesla should warn people about the degradation

sure ICE cars lose marginal amounts of HP over time, but HP doesn't make your car incapable of reaching its destination as you had planned it to.

My P90D was originally 429 kms of 100% range when brand new. After 2 years and 42,000 kms it was down to 410 kms of range. Now at 4 years and 88,000 kms it sits at 398 kms of range at 100%. I've seen 31 of my precious 429 kms disappear, which is 7.2% in 4 years.

It's 'normal' however it doesn't make it right.

And you're "lucky" you got "normal" degradation. The 85kWh owners in that other thread lost 15% or so through an update. I am a model 3 AWD owner at 1 year of ownership and I was down 9% a few weeks ago, now I'm only down 5-6% just after 1 year and 49,000km.

I am still trying to understand is guess-o-meter works in some way for Tesla as well?

Let's say I charged my Volt one day and it shows me the EV range of 85 km. I drive supper efficient and made 90 km next time full charge will show 90 or 95 km of range. So I continue to drive efficient and another day I made 110 km on the charge so next time the car will show me about 100 km of the range at the full charge.

But it is not the case with Tesla, right?
Yes, you are correct. Tesla doesn't calculate the range based off of recent driving style like Chevy does (both the volt and bolt do this). Tesla more or less always uses the constant factor of ~ 150 wh/km (or 144 wh/km and the -5 kwh reduction in the analysis by Bjorn). A service tech once told me that it isn't entirely true that Tesla doesn't apply a correction to the pack, but I can 100% say that it doesn't experience the 'guess-o-meter' swings of other EVs where you can be 55km in a gen 2 volt to > 100 km in summer. My wife's bolt can be as low as 200 km in winter (lots of short driving with heat) and over 400 km in the summer. Telsa more or less always 'reports' the same range regardless of recent use of heat, or heavy acceleration.

• Informative
Reactions: Kappelan
I think some transparency would be good for Tesla's brand at this point. Simply to say they're adjusting software limited "soft" max charge of the battery to prevent damage to the battery pack and extend lifetime is sufficient to most people. Offer the ones that want to punish their batteries for added 5% performance and sign a waiver. They gave us the added range back in March. Looks like it's being clawed back slowly and being called degradation as expected.

upload_2019-10-16_14-33-8.png

upload_2019-10-16_14-34-1.png

Was coming here to tell everyone to chill out and to post this video-
but I see it was already posted above.

Cliff notes- If you actually measure the total power going to your battery pack, the amount is the same as it's always been. Tesla has simply opted to make a portion off the power to disappear on the bottom end of the battery pack. Essentially the new 5% remaining is the old 10% remaining, likely in an effort to prevent people from driving their car to very low percentages and actually damaging their batteries.

Reactions: Vawlkus
For everyone talking about what they "get" at a certain % or extrapolate to 100% please stop. The mileage shown is completely irrelevant.

The actual range of the vehicle could be +-100km to what is reported depending on driving conditions

So the best play is to switch to % and view it like a fuel gauge and not worry about degradation

This. Changed to % early in ownership and never looked back. I don't get these people obsessing over a few kms here and there on the guessometer.

Reactions: Vawlkus and malou